Where would you go?

SimbaDog

Visit site
Serious question, If you could relocate to anywhere in the UK to retire, where would it be & why?
Criteria: Not in a city, within 30 minutes at max of deep water moorings, good walking nearby.
:)

Victoria Sponge

Visit site
I would relocate to Suffolk. It's a lovely county with a lot of beautiful countryside. House prices are reasonable and it's handy for East Coast sailing.

E39mad

Visit site
Bosham Hoe, Beaulieu River, Newton Ferrers/Noss Mayo, Dartmouth, Falmouth Estuaries such as Restronguet , Helford.

If price is a constraint - Bideford, Isle of Wight, Solway Firth, Whitehaven, SW Wales

Last edited:

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
Isles of Scilly

Fantastic group of islands, but rediculously high property prices prevent me even thinking about living there (not to mention a large percentage are Dutchy of Cornwall owned and only sold on a short lease)

Lovely place for a holiday, go there if you haven't yet been.

But I love the Highlands, so it would have to be winter home on the Scillies, and a summer home up here.

Topcat47

Visit site
I'm not a fan of Chi harbour, but Fowey, Restronguet and Helford would float my boat if i could afford to relocate. I may yet end up on the West Coast of Scotland,but it'd have to be on the mainland (Plockton is nice) but I like the north coast of France and Alderney too much. I may change my mind if the marina ever gets built.

Fascadale

Visit site
56 45 18.20 N 6 02 20.67 W

In this house

IMGP1260.jpg

with this view

P1010066.jpg

P1010004.jpg

a few miles from my mooring here

IMGP0156.jpg

blackbeard

Visit site
Serious points:
Not to somewhere you don't know well.
Somewhere with good healthcare - you may need it - and a good bus/train service - will you always be fit to drive?
You need friends. If possible, old and trusted friends.
After you have got the essentials sorted, you can then consider the other factors.

Wansworth

Visit site
Serious points:
Not to somewhere you don't know well.
Somewhere with good healthcare - you may need it - and a good bus/train service - will you always be fit to drive?
You need friends. If possible, old and trusted friends.
After you have got the essentials sorted, you can then consider the other factors.

Your right,my wife sees many people who wished they hadnt retired to an idillic country cottage,they miss their friends ,who stop visiting and they are too old to make new friends,and there miles from services....