Where to take my Dayskipper practical?

jsykes

Visit site
Hello there,

I am coming to the end of my dayskipper theory course which I have enjoyed a great deal. I am currently looking for a good place to take my dayskipper practical course. I am interested in taking the course somewhere in the Solent and since I don't own a boat the future opportunity of creating a relationship with a school that also charters seems sensible. I would be very grateful if anyone can reccomend a good school for my requirements?

Thanks,

Julian, London

stephenh

Visit site
try Southern Sailing, John Goodes outfit, only 4 : 1 pupil / instructor ratio.
They will make you run aground! (lots of fun getting off...)
When you bash into the pontoon they don't complain about the damage to the gelcoat , just make you do it again and again until you have got it...

the usual codicils, caveats and all that stuff...
Good luck

gregmlucas

www.datacentricity.net
I'd recommend Four Winds based at Bucklers Hard on the Bealieu River although I don't believe they charter anymore.

Small family-run business, boats are clean, instruction is excellent and the food's good too! (Red wine and proper spag bol cooked by the skipper whilst moored behind Brownsea Island in Pool Harbour as the sun goes down springs to mind).

I did my Comp Crew with them last April and I've just booked my DS Practical with them for the second week of April - like you currently completing DS theory at night school.

Good luck where ever you do it.

. . Greg

Tamarisk1

Visit site
2nd Southern Sailing, very good tuition.
Did my YM with them sometime ago.
Reasonable rates.
They don't charter but then again I don't think the two have to tie in.

Piers

www.playdeau.com
When I did mine ages ago, it was in Dartmouth in November. We were resident on the Res Nova, and always given a very large english breakfast. As we cast off heading for the sea, we would know if it was rough - the seagulls would follow us looking to have their breakfast as we said goodbye to ours........recycling with a difference.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions. We did our day-skipper and coastal skipper practical courses, plus lots of other sailing besides sailing out of Haslar Marina in Gosport with Chris Fawcett on "Dream-or Two" who certainly five years or so ago was the cheapest in the Solent and a brilliant instructor. Their web-address was/is? "DreamOrTwo@aol.com"

If you contact him; tell Chris that Bob & Lesley from Chesterfield say hi"

Poignard

Visit site
I took it at Southern Sailing School run by John Goode. Not sure if he still runs it but if so, I'd strongly recommend it. They have a low student/instructor ratio and plenty of boats, so if one gets smashed up they can cope. Personally I'd be very wary of any school with only one boat.

KREW2

Visit site
I did mine in 1990 with Rockley Sailing School in Poole.
We did Poole, Alderney, Guernsey, Sark, And then we did a night crossing back to Weymouth, then a good last night in Lulworth Cove There were 6 on board Skipper, 2 day skippers 3 competent crew. It was a cruising holiday with tuition. It was a tiring cruising holiday with tuition.
Good Sailing

H4B

Visit site
Southern Sailing They are not affraid of you learning with thier boats ie they let you run aground at speed , so that you know what its like and that its best avoided.

billy2s

Visit site
Being based on the South coast I chose the obvious place to do my DS practical.. The Clyde...

I took the chance to explore some totally new water: The DS practical isnt an in depth exploration of one's abilities, so I used it as an activity holiday, and thoroughly enjoyed myself, and would recommend anyone else to do likewise.

jeremyshaw

Visit site
I trained with Southern Sailing and they are great. However your specific question was about creating a relationship with schools which charter, and I'm not sure they do that. You might want to consider UKSA on Wight. I regard them as a big flashy factory, but it's a view based on pretty much total ignorance - they are actually a not-for-profit and run a huge variety of courses including some in the Caribbean, so might meet your specific needs better. www.uksa.org.

gjbentley

Visit site
Don't leave it too long after you complete your theory, before taking your practical. People forget what they have been taught in the classroom quickly unless it is re-confirmed in pratice.

Make a holiday of it, for the same price as the Solent, plus a cheap bucket shop airline fare, you can get your DS in Gibraltar. Plenty of sailings schools, and wind, plus a very busy shipping lane to practice your col regs.

Come back with tan and your DS Ticket ! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Stevie_T

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
travel to somewhere more interesting

[/ QUOTE ]
Whilst I understand your point of view, the Solent is actually probably the best place you can take a practical course.
There are lots of harbours with all kinds of entrances, allowing short passages and lots of interesting pilotage. There is lots of traffic and lots of buoys allowing people to become accustomed to seeing and dealing with large vessels and identifying Vessels constrained by draft etc. You can go out in almost any weather and do something constructive.
There are lots of lights making useful night exercises.
When you have a crew of 4 or 5 to teach it is much easier to give everybody at least 2 full passages each during the 5 days (4 days for YM prep) including 1 night passage each as the harbours are nice and close together.
There are things like VTS to monitor on dual watch and shipping channels to be aware of. Strong tides to contend with. If you can sail well in the Solent then you can sail well anywhere.
So whilst IMO the Solent is overcrowded and I would avoid it for leisure sailing myself, I would recomend it to anyone for a course.

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
100 % agree......why on earth sail or take a course in the Solent... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Come down to the west country, great food, spectacular coast. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
If you want busy to get some experience, try Plymouth or Dartmouth & Sailing into Salcomb at night will certainly test your nav skills.

Plenty of schools try Sailing School

Whatever you do, good luck & have fun. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
poter