Where and what is it?

tillergirl

Visit site
Spurred on by accusations of dying forums....

118-1899_IMG.jpg

Yes, I know its not a good photo.

Clue?

Today looking East.

tillergirl

Visit site
Too easy for you, Peter!

It never really occurred to me that we could see the windfarm from the Quarters but I suppose that's being daft.

Strange callsigns on the radio today "Gunfleet Control". and then Medway VTS getting a fishing boat off Garrison Point. Can't normally hear that when you are up the Blackwater.

Forum better go back to sleep mode.

tillergirl

Visit site
Bits and pieces is a bit of an understatement. I got the bins out and the two pylons erected so far look massive. The bit I like is that in 1923 the Spitway was where the Mast is now. So following the experience of the Maplin Lighthouse which fell over when the tidal scoure took away all the sand, are we going to see that on the Gunfleet? Its all on the move.....

MoodySabre

Visit site
I thought that huge barge/ship out there by the Gunfleet was to do with the windfarm but on a trip to Jaywick last week I was talking to a local fisherman who said it was the rocks for the new barrier they are building off Jaywick. There is a platform with a crane positioned there and a tug with a barge that goes for refills. Barrier will be about 180m long and 2m above MHW. When it's finished they are going to reinstate the beach out 30m from the shore where it used to be. It's going to be the best part of Jaywick - not a big challenge admittedly /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tillergirl

Visit site
'Best' part of Jaywick. Now there's a thing. I'm impressed with the extent of your vocabulary. I would never have used that word in a sentence with Jaywick in it.

johnalison

Visit site
Reminds me of a sailor we met 30 yrs ago. When he told us they lived in Barking his wife chipped in quickly with "the better end of Barking". I think we all behaved rather badly after that.

MoodySabre

Visit site
I'm involved with a charity based at the new community centre on the seafront. I've got to go there again on Friday /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Never mind, I can look forward to sailing past on Sunday and back Wednesday. A little autumn cruise /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cantata

Visit site
What's actually there so far? When they built the Kentish Flats farm they installed all the bases first, (30 of them). They were driven in while supported off the back of a humungous jack-up ship. When they worked at night I could hear the pile-driving through my pillow (6nm away).
Only when they'd done all the bases and, I think, the cabling between them, did they come along and bolt the towers on.