When exactly is a spring tide?

MontyMariner

montymariner.co.uk

Frank Holden

Visit site
From the above '

'Before tides for a particular location can be predicted, a series of observed hourly heights, preferably of twelve months duration, are mathematically analysed. This analysis separates the observed tide into its astronomically forced components, known as harmonic constituents or harmonic constants, and is represented by amplitudes and phases. Once this has been done, tides can be predicted for any time in the future or past. An analysis for this machine resolved up to 42 constituents. A modern analysis frequently resolves 120 or more constituents.'
They were using 'tide sticks' in the very early 1800's in Bass Strait - which is when Surprise Bay at the southern tip of King Island was chosen -
through until post WW 2 when the RAN hydrographic department was using 'Bathurst ' class minesweepers as survey ships. A friend was once deposited on a remote island somewhere as radio man for the 'stick readers' for an indeterminate time in the early '50s.
These days the tide sticks are fancier, this is one at Puerto Navarino, southern Chile, in 2009.
P1020655.jpg

Stemar

Visit site
The sun pulls a bulge of water that moves because the planet rotates, sometimes the sun and moon are together causing a larger tide , ie spring tide and a black new moon , the other set of tide the moon and sun are opposite sides to earth and the moon can be seen lit by the sun these are neap tides.
AIUI, that's the starting point, but the gravitational influence is tiny. It's a bit like pushing someone on a swing, a tiny push at the right time adds to the movement, so it builds up, but most of it is just a wave going round the oceans. Then the land gets in the way and complicated things.

I'd guess that the biggest tides come a little after full moon because the pushes on the swing get stronger and stronger, so the swing goes higher, but it isn't as high as it can go for the amount of push, so the first couple of decreasing pushes continues to add momentum; it only gets lower once the pushes aren't strong enough to add more.

Visit site
Yes, the OP clearly knows that, but is asking why there is such a lag.

I have never fully understood it myself. All the explanations I've heard or read to date - usually mentioning the inertia of the mass of the oceans and seabed / landmass constraints - are insufficiently specific to fully satisfy me.
From my reading, I think that friction is part of the explanation, as well as inertia.

Visit site
The shape of tidal curves is basically close to a sine wave, in a simple case where tides are not much affected by Islands and what have you.
When Islands or coasts affect the tidal flow, the curve changes shape, this can be expressed as 'harmonics' on the fundamental wave.
The more harmonics, the more you depart from the simple model of a neap tide being a small sine wave and a spring tide being the biggest.
The amplitude of the tidal curve increases towards springs and decreases towards neaps. The envelope of the curve has a maximum at springs and a minimum at neaps. My question about the time of springs is therefore about the time of the maximum of the envelope.

The shape of the tidal curve at a particular place is well known - it is used to produce the tide tables with which we are familiar. The shape of the envelope must therefore be well known, and so it must be possible to produce a table which shows the date and time of springs and neaps at that place. Does anyone know a source of such tables?
I would assume that a Spring tide day is a spring tide day everywhere,

Although the time of HW varies from place to place, the time of full/new moon is the same everywhere, and so I assume that the maximum of the envelope of the tidal curves is the same everywhere (at least in the same region, such as around the coast of the UK - the lag of springs after full/new moon may be different in different parts of the world). So I would assume not only that a spring tide day is a spring tide day everywhere, but the time of that spring tide (NOT the time of HW) is the same everywhere (at least in a region).

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
The amplitude of the tidal curve increases towards springs and decreases towards neaps. The envelope of the curve has a maximum at springs and a minimum at neaps. My question about the time of springs is therefore about the time of the maximum of the envelope.
Where would you draw the upper/lower envelope?
Outside the highest HWs and the lowest LWs?
Least square errors interpolation between all HWs and between all LWs?

If you remember some earlier threads about tidal coefficients :) a higher HW (or lower LW) does not necessarily mean necessarily a higher coefficient (IOW it does not imply a higher amplitude), the HW level can increase while the amplitude decreases (tide becomes less "springy")--> the "all-outside" envelope maxima and minima will not necessarily correspond to actual spring or neaps times.
spring.jpg

Visit site
Some will never be fully satiated 😊 but have a read here Types and Causes of Tidal Cycles - Tides and Water Levels: NOAA's National Ocean Service Education
and at the associated tabs (on the right) then please report back.
Thank you for your link to the NOAA website and your invitation to report back. It provides a very clear explanation of the basic features of the tides. However, as far as I could see, it does not mention the fact that springs and neaps do not occur at the same time as the phase of the moon that causes them, but afterwards, nor that this lag varies from month to month.

Visit site
Where would you draw the upper/lower envelope?
Outside the highest HWs and the lowest LWs?
Least square errors interpolation between all HWs and between all LWs?
That is for mathematicians to decide, and I assume that some must have done so. What I am interested in is where I can find data on the times of springs, based on such envelopes.

B27

Visit site
Not sure what 'maximum of the envelope' actually means?
If you compare it with an electrical waveform, you could be talking about peak value, peak to peak value, area under the curve, RMS value etc etc.

I don't think it's valid to assume 'the time of spring tide' will be the same everywhere, even if that's a meaningful concept, because for instance the tide passes up the English Channel as a wave and Dover is inherently delayed relative to Plymouth.
Neither do I think that 'maximum envelope' will occur on the same day everywhere, because I reckon that the tidal minima, the 'Amphidromic points' probably move somewhat between springs and neaps.

I query how well known the shapes or tidal curves really are, they are different every day. Springs are different to neaps, and the published curves are an average of predictions over the year. Then the weather changes it all anyway.
The predictions are based on curve fitting to past data, it's all good enough for what most users want.
But watch the data from 'sea level networks' to see that real time data diverges from predictions.

No two years are the same, because the orbital periods of earth, moon, etc are not locked in simple ratios.

People who've raced small boats a lot on the Solent will tell you that a neap tide is not just a smaller version of a spring tide. When (relative to HW time), where and how the tide turns varies.
There are a lot of complicated non-linear effects going on, because the moving mass of water is interacting with shallows, banks and channels.
Some textbooks will tell you 'spring tide is 2 days after new and full moon' others will say 'new and full moon'. It's a convention of limited value other than to tell you tides are biggish around those times.
As with terms like 'twilight' different conventions exist from different backgrounds for different purposes, which are all roughly the same thing to the man on the Clapham Omnibus.

B27

Visit site
From the above '

'Before tides for a particular location can be predicted, a series of observed hourly heights, preferably of twelve months duration, are mathematically analysed. This analysis separates the observed tide into its astronomically forced components, known as harmonic constituents or harmonic constants, and is represented by amplitudes and phases. Once this has been done, tides can be predicted for any time in the future or past. An analysis for this machine resolved up to 42 constituents. A modern analysis frequently resolves 120 or more constituents.'
They were using 'tide sticks' in the very early 1800's in Bass Strait - which is when Surprise Bay at the southern tip of King Island was chosen -
through until post WW 2 when the RAN hydrographic department was using 'Bathurst ' class minesweepers as survey ships. A friend was once deposited on a remote island somewhere as radio man for the 'stick readers' for an indeterminate time in the early '50s.
These days the tide sticks are fancier, this is one at Puerto Navarino, southern Chile, in 2009.
View attachment 183498
These days, a lot of observations are done by satellites, which can probably measure that framework moving up and down.

Visit site
I don't think it's valid to assume 'the time of spring tide' will be the same everywhere, even if that's a meaningful concept, because for instance the tide passes up the English Channel as a wave and Dover is inherently delayed relative to Plymouth.
As far as I can see, the almanacs show spring tide to be on the same day at every port around the UK. If the time of springs (which is NOT the same as the time of spring HW) varies from port to port, then sometimes springs would occur on different days at different ports.

MontyMariner

montymariner.co.uk