What's the worst place in maritime France?

Daydream believer

Visit site
been there seen it done it got the T shirt - CAMERET in the rain is depressing and very little of interest , half a dozen ship wrecks presented as art, a church that's mostly locked , a single row of cafes that at best are rude and condescending and visitor berths that are exposed to weather.

I am actually making an effort to go back for the second year on the trot because I like the place , mainly for it walks which are really good.
But then I have been to Grimsby so I have little to aspire to

Seven Spades

Visit site
Carteret, just don't go there. There are no big shops. The restaurants are expensive the beaches are full of sand ... it gets every where. Just keep away from the place.

Sybarite

Visit site
Id have to say Concarneu is a dead end town.. It has nothing to offer at all...

I would say then that you don't know Concarneau.

We live a few km away and I don't think that there is anything that you can't get there: theatre, cinema complex, brilliant restaurants, shopping and sport complexes etc etc.

You probably don't know where to look for things. Eg I had a birthday meal least week at "La Coquille" which is on the "other" side of the inner Harbour (between the yards of Piriou and JFA). Its owner is the former chef at the "Tour d'Argent" one of Paris' best restaurants. Two other brilliant restaurants (both new) are around the headland at "Les Sables Blanches".

To say nothing of "La Ville Close".

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Our vote goes to Lochboisdale on South Uist (Degrad des Cannes in French Guiana was a close second) though it did at least prove conclusively that the earth is round, as we sailed beyond Lochboisedale; if the world was flat, it would have to have an end/edge and Lochboisdale would be it.

Visit site
The start of the voyage back to Blighty!

Yes indeed, that's what I'm doing later today... including an inevitable stop at Camaret after the Raz.

I think the worst harbour is one you're bored with, whatever country it's in!

( PS I never got bored of Grimsby so Daydream Believer can stop slagging the place off, it's got tons of history and character. (and its fair share of characters as well..) although I was up there years ago when there were still a few trawlers knocking about.
It's bound to look a bit run down and even ghostly, having gone from being the country's greatest fishing port, with hundreds of distant and middle-water side trawlers, to what it is now. Very friendly people though )

Last edited:

nauticalnomad

Visit site
I would say then that you don't know Concarneau.
We live a few km away and I don't think that there is anything that you can't get there: theatre, cinema complex, brilliant restaurants, shopping and sport complexes etc etc.

You probably don't know where to look for things. Eg I had a birthday meal least week at "La Coquille" which is on the "other" side of the inner Harbour (between the yards of Piriou and JFA). Its owner is the former chef at the "Tour d'Argent" one of Paris' best restaurants. Two other brilliant restaurants (both new) are around the headland at "Les Sables Blanches".

To say nothing of "La Ville Close".

Ive been in Port La Foret for past 8 months and visited concarneu every 2 days id say.. It is just the off season but i have troublewith every time i walk into a shop its closed or closing or yesterday i went into a little place in the village and it was empty but all the tables were for 4 people and i was on my own and the 2 off 2 seater tables they had were busy. She says "Can i come back in 30 mins"... There was like 10 free 4 person tables. So i replied "I could be out of here in 30 mins if you serve me quick" But dont worry i wont come back ever....

[3889]

Visit site
Yes indeed, that's what I'm doing later today... including an inevitable stop at Camaret after the Raz.

Wish I'd opted for Camaret. Just spent the night rolling like a pig in Le Conquet anchorage en route south. Thought it would be a pleasant change - how wrong I was.

doug748

Visit site
Was that off the entrance of Le Conquet or inside Quiddle? Never been in there, the book says there is little water and lots of working boats.

I must say I think both Concarneau and Cameret are delightful in their different ways. Think there might be a bit a devilment in those suggestions.

[3889]

Visit site
I was in Anse des blancs sablons, immediately north of le Conquet. Seemed ideal in a SW with no groundswell in the Four but sadly not. Le Conquet port is fishing boats only unless you can dry on moorings landward of the avant port.

Last edited:

pytheas

Visit site
Keep 'em coming ! You've made my day
My boat is in Perros-Guirec: any comment ? (I can't, 'cause I am a prejudiced froggy sneaking in)
BTW is "West France Cruising Companion" any good ?

[3889]

Visit site
My boat is in Perros-Guirec: any comment?

Funnily enough, yes. Last October I arrived there at 2300 after 90 miles from Cherbourg in the rain. Large tide, HW at 2315. Any sign of the advertised gate opening? Zilch! Not a happy bunny, especially as I'd effctively paid in advance via Passeport Escale. Also, the showers are gloomy and too small. And as for the gate width...got something against cats? Sorry you asked :) Nice town though, was there again last week.

Visit site
.... is "West France Cruising Companion" any good ?

by Neville Featherstone? Yes it's excellent!

(my old copy still has the prices in Francs, but all pilot type books are out of date anyway, that's the sort of info you get from the internet)

His philosophy for timing the Chenal du Four worked out perfectly for me, I would have done it differently (earlier on the tide), now his book is opened first.

His views on the atmosphere of different harbours is personal and that's the way it should be, I have very different likes to most yachties apparently, because I love heavy industry and commercial, fishing and naval activity and find yacht harbours dull and snobby. So we disagreed about Lorient.. but so what?

Do you know NF, feel free to pass on my compliments!

doris

Visit site
Ive just moved to Port La Foret. Its in Brittany and beautiful. Suns warm. The air smells of sea. The water is clear and blue. Not murky.
Beach has sand. The only thing i can find that faults it is that the shops close for lunch and there is no corner shops.
If you can handle slow living its perfect. Not much choice in ahops like tescos. But the food seems to be all local and fresh and seasonal. Mooring fees for 14 mtr boat is cheaper than the uk and the sailing season is longer if not all year round if you dont mind the F5 to F6 average between oct to april. OH AND NO ONE SPEAKS ENGLISH....

My Triangle Race co-skipper comes from La Foret Fouesnat, I love the place and I am soooo jealous of you. Might have to give serious thought to relocating!

Sybarite

Visit site
Ive been in Port La Foret for past 8 months and visited concarneu every 2 days id say.. It is just the off season but i have troublewith every time i walk into a shop its closed or closing or yesterday i went into a little place in the village and it was empty but all the tables were for 4 people and i was on my own and the 2 off 2 seater tables they had were busy. She says "Can i come back in 30 mins"... There was like 10 free 4 person tables. So i replied "I could be out of here in 30 mins if you serve me quick" But dont worry i wont come back ever....

Maybe the tables had been reserved?

Sans Bateau

Visit site
St Tropez is undoubtedly the most unpleasant port in France. Full of pretentious uber-rich flaunting their wealth, creepy celebrity-spotters, corrupt capitanerie not the slightest bit interested in welcoming small boats that don't pay bribes, extremely noisy and inconsiderate "cigarette" motor-boats, helicopters buzzing overhead, getting chopped up left and right by motor launches. Absolutely hate the place and stay at least 20nm out to sea if I have to sail past it.

Mmm, it is rather interesting, if unpleasant. What is most cringe worthy is day trippers having their photo taken with a superyacht as a back drop. But dont by pass the bay altogether, on the other side St Maxim is a real nice place with no pretence.

Sybarite

Visit site
St Tropez is undoubtedly the most unpleasant port in France. Full of pretentious uber-rich flaunting their wealth, creepy celebrity-spotters, corrupt capitanerie not the slightest bit interested in welcoming small boats that don't pay bribes, extremely noisy and inconsiderate "cigarette" motor-boats, helicopters buzzing overhead, getting chopped up left and right by motor launches. Absolutely hate the place and stay at least 20nm out to sea if I have to sail past it.

Economics : 12m boat - €118 per day ; 80m boat - €4000 per day.