What's the worst place in maritime France?

DownWest

Visit site
well in Calais cheap crew are on tap :)
Yes, but do you throw in training for the trip back to blighty?
Being a bit further South, I find the weather MUCH better but the ports less intersting.
So, would you rather be peering at a pretty place in the rain, or, wandering around in skimpies with slightly less to admire, but great shellfish.

Sybarite

Visit site
Ive just moved to Port La Foret. Its in Brittany and beautiful. Suns warm. The air smells of sea. The water is clear and blue. Not murky.
Beach has sand. The only thing i can find that faults it is that the shops close for lunch and there is no corner shops.
If you can handle slow living its perfect. Not much choice in ahops like tescos. But the food seems to be all local and fresh and seasonal. Mooring fees for 14 mtr boat is cheaper than the uk and the sailing season is longer if not all year round if you dont mind the F5 to F6 average between oct to april. OH AND NO ONE SPEAKS ENGLISH....

A golf course within walking distance?

Sybarite

Visit site
We always rate places on the gift shops - if we go ashore and can buy a plastic boomerang with the name of the town embossed into it, then generally speaking I don't want to be there !

so my vote is Concarneau

though Camaret in the rain is also a good choice

We think Concarneau is a brilliant place especially since they demolished a lot of the old warehouses and opened things up with a large carpark. Restaurants are excellent and I'm not talking about the Ville Close.

ribrage

Visit site
We think Concarneau is a brilliant place especially since they demolished a lot of the old warehouses and opened things up with a large carpark. Restaurants are excellent and I'm not talking about the Ville Close.

wouldn't pay for us all to be the same - place was heaving when we were there - $5 for a shower on top of marina fees , not much there just the fairy land castle full of tat shops - and we got rammed as the harbor master put as in the out side of a raft blocking the channel , so wasn't a good place for us , much preferred Benodet to Concarneau but like I said , each to their own.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
I can't speak from experience of jet-set living as my visits have only been to the north. Most places are a mixture of good and bad but some are somewhat dispiriting.

Le Tréport is top of my list of places to avoid, being a downbeat resort and poky mooring. for visitors, where our French neighbour decided that he needed to go for ablutions at 6am. Even this dire place has a fine cliff walk to the highest point on the coast.

During our last visit (some time back) we went aground some distance before the marina despite Reeds suggesting 3m or more and consequently we spent the night rafted off a fishing boat which turfed us off at some ungodly hour in the morning.

We have not returned.

bluerm166

Visit site
Quote Originally Posted by nauticalnomad

Ive just moved to Port La Foret. Its in Brittany and beautiful. Suns warm. The air smells of sea. The water is clear and blue. Not murky.
Beach has sand. The only thing i can find that faults it is that the shops close for lunch and there is no corner shops.
If you can handle slow living its perfect. Not much choice in ahops like tescos. But the food seems to be all local and fresh and seasonal. Mooring fees for 14 mtr boat is cheaper than the uk and the sailing season is longer if not all year round if you dont mind the F5 to F6 average between oct to april. OH AND NO ONE SPEAKS ENGLISH....

Sailorman :
You shold fit in well then

The faultfinder will find faults even in paradise.

Hoisted on your own petard.

sailorman

Visit site
Quote Originally Posted by nauticalnomad

Sailorman :
You shold fit in well then

The faultfinder will find faults even in paradise.

Hoisted on your own petard.

lol.gif