What's The Story?

Lakesailor

Visit site
Do you know why they are doing this and where?

Gunboat1.jpg

IRC Kevin

www.intrescue.org
Their other boat 'Merlin' (with mounting for Bren gun) may be found here. (part way across in a straight line from the end of Belle isle to Miller Ground)

S00077.png

Edited to add: And before anyone says anything-I was in the 10 MPH (knot) zone!

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
When a boat location is given via sonar it's always a bad sign...

Looks like a Vickers gun in the photo.

Anything to do with T.E.Lawrence ( of Arabia ) ? he was a fan of high speed patrol boats...

Could also be a prototype of Bucklers Hards' answer to complaints about food and overnight fees. :rolleyes:

Edit,

I thought there were rumours of Sunderland flying boats and possibly other aircraft down there, apart from the recovered Wellington ?

This also applies to Poole Bay, some Sunderlands were apparently towed out & scuttled, my father ( an aircraft engineer ) came across a main undercarriage wheel which had washed up in Studland Bay...

Last edited:

Lakesailor

Visit site
Their other boat 'Merlin' (with mounting for Bren gun) may be found here. (part way across in a straight line from the end of Belle isle to Miller Ground)
I will have passed over that this afternoon.

This looks like a different boat. (Gun mount) It seems to be at Miller Ground in this pic.

Gunboat2.jpg

You'll be pleased to know they are replacing the Southern jetty there.

MillerGround1.jpg

MillerGround2.jpg

IRC Kevin

www.intrescue.org
When a boat location is given via sonar it's always a bad sign...

Looks like a Vickers gun in the photo.

Anything to do with T.E.Lawrence ( of Arabia ) ? he was a fan of high speed patrol boats...

Could also be a prototype of Bucklers Hards' answer to complaints about food and overnight fees. :rolleyes:

Edit,

I thought there were rumours of Sunderland flying boats and possibly other aircraft down there, apart from the recovered Wellington ?

This also applies to Poole Bay, some Sunderlands were apparently towed out & scuttled, my father ( an aircraft engineer ) came across a main undercarriage wheel which had washed up in Studland Bay...

The Wellington was Loch Ness (not Bowness). :):)

As for Windermere- I can guarantee that there are no planes on the lake bed (unless they're model ones.) Have found one of the lighters they used to remove the munitions from the Sunderlands though.

S00117.png

ValleyForge

Visit site

As for Windermere- I can guarantee that there are no planes on the lake bed (unless they're model ones.) Have found one of the lighters they used to remove the munitions from the Sunderlands though.

Just south of High Wray Bay you should find :-

1 Lancaster bomber
1 Bristol Beaufighter
1 Chance Vought Crusader
1 'Grenville' sutcliffe destroyer
2 sutcliffe submarines
1 vosper 'Mercury'
several small yachts

All the product of a happy (& destructive) childhood

Fascinaating sonar pics - any old steamboats from the early 1900's ?

Seajet

Visit site

S00117.png

IRC Kevin,

yes you're right about the Wellington of course, a particularly prattish moment on my part !

Still in hope for the Sunderlands in Poole Bay & maybe elsewhere though, I do suspect there are aeroplanes in Windermere, will have to look up the books etc.

Andy