What's the entrance like to Walton Backwaters?

MK101

Visit site
Crept in at low water springs recently. With a lifting keel half up. Having checked the live tidal data at Harwich. The numbers on the chart/navionics were pretty accurate ie we saw depths we expected. But I wouldn’t have done it if it hadn’t been very calm!

shanemax

Visit site
It all depends what you draw and what the conditions are. If you watch" Keep Turning Left" on You Tube one of his films shows three boats aground and laying on their side. The channel there can change over night if there is a storm on spring tides. I think they move the buoys as required . One year you had to use a lot of rudder to stay with the tight turns.

shanemax

Visit site
After 30 years of sailing my one piece of advice is don't take risks on a falling tide. Subject to weather you can more or less do what you want on a rising tide as you will soon be out of trouble and free again. Two years ago I ran aground in calm weather on Buxey sand, no big deal as I was afloat again within 15 minutes ,I then anchored off and waited an hour for enough water

shanemax

Visit site
No problem

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230815-120227.png
    Screenshot_20230815-120227.png
    214.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20230815-120227.png
    Screenshot_20230815-120227.png
    214.4 KB · Views: 47

shanemax

Visit site
Cheers, very interesting. I knew I was taking a risk at the time so I was sticking to 1 knot to cross the sand on route frm Brightlingsea to Burnham then on to Southend, the other track is Crouch to Harwich. Leaving the crouch you can see
Walton tower. A lovely sail on a calm day.

snowbird30ds

Norfolk broads based, coast when time allows.
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. To this day I never under stood why they put a Safe Water Mark in the middle of a drying sand bank. Perhaps you have an explanation ?
It's the east coast, anything low enough to not have a permanent snowline is considered deep water.

shanemax

Visit site
There has never been a problem taking the short cut to Burnham on Crouch from Brightlingsea as long as the weather is ok and the tide is well in. By the time I crossed the sands three other boats had anchored up to wait. They obviously had local knowledge., Being an Orwell boy I was chancing my luck . It is good RivalRedwing has pointed out the confusing buoys have gone.

tillergirl

Visit site
Thanks for your reply. To this day I never under stood why they put a Safe Water Mark in the middle of a drying sand bank. Perhaps you have an explanation ?
It's a better explanation than the positions of the two Spitway buoys. Or it was. By the way, the electronic chart ... hilarious.