What would you call these shelves.

KevinV

Visit site
To me a shelf on a boat is a thing with a fiddle , a locker is a space with a lid/door and a bin is an open vertical space - I'd call the ones pictured cubby holes

Bouba

Visit site
To me a shelf on a boat is a thing with a fiddle , a locker is a space with a lid/door and a bin is an open vertical space - I'd call the ones pictured cubby holes
The curved surround is a fiddle...so by your definition they are shelves....and I would also call them shelves 🤔😀

Mark-1

Visit site
We had something similar but smaller in the cockpit coamings of a previous boat. We called them 'toffee lockers'! :D

I've seen similar on a Sadler 32s. I've googled and I know what people tend to call those.
Mind you, one outcome of this thread is that I've decided that I prefer the obviously incorrect names to the plausibly correct ones.

KevinV

Visit site
I'd call them fiddles, kevinV probably knows better - does 'fiddle' just mean the bit of wood on the outside to stop things falling out?
I don't claim knowledge or wisdom above or beyond anyone else's, but yes, a small ledge or bit of stick would be my idea of a fiddle

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I call there cubby holes

The term cubby holes has different meaning in different countries

Meanings in various countries​

In South Africa, cubby-hole or cubby is the word for a glove compartment in a vehicle. This usage is also common in Barbados, Zambia, Botswana and Zimbabwe, as well as parts of Southern Minnesota; Michigan; Madison, South Dakota; and Northwest Wyoming.

In the UK, Ireland and Canada, it may refer to the cupboard under the stairs. In Quebec, the French word cagibi, which is a contraction of cage à bijoux, and roughly translates as "jewel case", is synonymous with a triangular storage walk-in located directly under the inner stairs of a house.

In the United States, a cubby-hole most often refers to a small square or rectangle-shaped space where children may keep their personal belongings, such as in a preschool or kindergarten setting. These cubby-holes are often constructed out of the same materials as bookshelves and have a similar appearance save for the division of the cubbies themselves.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Meanings in various countries
Did you make that up from your own opinion, or did you get that from some official document.
I ask, because living in the Uk, I have never heard the term applied to the cupboard under the stairs.
Whilst I have no experience of the term in other places, the fact that one part is debatable, does lead me to question the validity of the whole post.