What qualifications do I need? Help I'm confused...

alant

Visit site
Re: For those considering crossing oceans

Is there an alternative to RYA qualifications?

========================================

These do 'yachtmaster' qualifications - RYA had a problem with copyright some years ago!

International Yacht Training

Ft Lauderdale, Fl, USA 33316

O +1 954 779 7764

M +1 954 471 4888

Sailfree

Visit site

I am getting the impression that you are a Yorkshire man who is careful with his money and hence now seeking cheaper alternatives for qualifications.

The best advice I can give you is stay completly away from Yachting as yachting can seriously damage you wealth!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

out_to_sea

Visit site

LOL... I am fruggle with my money /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

No not looking for cheaper just like to know whats available, to give me the best possible training.

Andy

Sailfree

Visit site

The advice is go for DS to get ICC and be able to charter boats NB its a separate theory (shorebased) and a practical 5 day course (continuous assessment).

Then go for YM which is a theory exam again and the practical. Now you may be employable as free crew!!

Then go for ocean master if you want to do deliveries. After you sign on for an expensive course they let you crew!

Just get real - there are so many people who love sailing its not a paying sport/pastime unless you are one of the few at the top. For the rest of us it costs us lots of money.

Stop dreaming and either use the pot or get off!!

PS you could join the Royal Navy as I think a few still go to sea and get paid for it.

There are no cheap options except start with a small boat and go sailing , reading the books, don't pay a penny and you could be either a liability to the rescue services or survive or actual become an experienced competent sailor.

Many of us took the short cut of doing the RYA courses but I would not wish to detract from a number that starting sailing with family members in short trousers then with friends and learnt loads the hard way, if they survived most are competent and a few post on here in a superior way that practical learning is better than any RYA scheme.

Take your choice.

I would start by trying to crew at a club as until you have gone through a storm/been violently seasick (95% of people with perfect hearing will be seasick if conditions deteriorate quickly enought - Allard Coles , Heavy Weather Sailing) you will not know whether its for you.

Me I love it but was amazed when my stomach let me down the 1st time as I never thought I would be sick.

Its great in good weather but sailing in any conditions is not for everyone and nature always wins in the end.

snowleopard

Visit site

The 'best possible' training is a lot of one-to-one with a good instructor and loads of sea time. The cheapest is to get a book (or a CD - PM me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), learn it all, do a lot of OPB sailing (other people's boats) then take the exam.

The final quality of your learning and the value of your qualification will be determined by yourself, not how much you have spent.