What items would you carry in your toolbox in addition to normal tools?

coopec

N/A
Visit site
In addition to normal tools I would carry:

A mirror to see what is behind something immovable. (Or to attract someone's attention)
A magnet on a string to pick up spanners and "things" dropped in an inaccessible part of the bilge.
A very heavy set of jumper leads.
A heavy ss bucket which I could use on the end of a rope for emergency steering.
A length of segmented (linked) fan belt
A very long set (12") of long nosed pliers to pick up something dropped in (for example) a fuel tank.
A water pump impeller. Also spare lengths hoses.
A decent torch

Eygthene

Visit site
I also carry a long "grabber" that has three prongs which open with a button on one end and close with a spring - to get things which have dropped down behind.
A postcard - sized piece of plywood for cutting ropes on.
A straightened coat hanger with one end bent into a hook for fishing things out of awkward places.
Hand drill and drill set.
Also plenty of spares - alternator, freshwater pump, pulleys, bulbs, fuses. stainless nuts & bolts, screws. WC spares.

penberth3

Visit site
A few pairs of Nitrile gloves to keep your hands clean

Small torch definitely, a head torch even better for hands-free

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
All of the above except Coopec's extra- long-nosed pliers, although I do have Eygthene's long "grabber" instead, and I will be emulating his plywood square for cutting ropes on, especially important if using an electric hot knife. I don't carry a hand drill, but I do have two battery drills with extra batteries which I make sure are fully charged up. I don't have Coopec's segmented emergency fanbelt either, just half-a-dozen or so, spare belts. I do have a short length of garden hose that I can push the end of a small funnel into in order to get oil into the difficult -to -access filler on my engine.

ianat182

Visit site
Circlip Pliers, Cable/wire strippers, 12v Soldering iron, Mini Blowlamp and refills, Spare fuses, Spare wire cables - all three/four coloured, solder coil with flux, extended allen keys and ratchet screwdriver. Piece of thin cork or other gasket material, spare bulbs for nav lights etc. digital caliper gauge. Some mini-pots of coloured paint for re-marking anchor chain and small 1" brushes.

ianat182

geem

Visit site
In addition to normal tools I would carry:

A mirror to see what is behind something immovable. (Or to attract someone's attention)
A magnet on a string to pick up spanners and "things" dropped in an inaccessible part of the bilge.
A very heavy set of jumper leads.
A heavy ss bucket which I could use on the end of a rope for emergency steering.
A length of segmented (linked) fan belt
A very long set (12") of long nosed pliers to pick up something dropped in (for example) a fuel tank.
A water pump impeller. Also spare lengths hoses.
A decent torch
We have a telescopic aerial type device with a magnet and led light on the end.
A JSD will provide emergency steering or a drogue.
We have several water pump impellors, 5 led head-torches. We don't bother with jump leads as batteries can be linked. All 3 battery sets (7 batteries in total) are in the battery box.
We have sets of taps so we can thread and rethread stuff. A large three legged puller. A wet vac. G clamps, etc. We are pretty self sufficient. A lot of gear has been collected over time out of necessity since getting stuff sorted in remote places can be a problem.
We also carry a hookah since cleaning the bottom in none tidal areas and high fouling becomes a regular chore. We do carry dive gear but it's inconvenient to use for bottom cleaning and we need to find someone to fill the tanks.
I also find several lengths of different size threaded rod are useful to keep onboard. We can then make a bolt of any size we need.

Halo

Visit site
A pot of Vaseline is invaluable for sealing round the o rings on inlet strainers, protecting electrics from corrosion etc etc

johnalison

Visit site
Crimper and crimps
Teflon grease
Multimeter
Swiss Army Knife
Small files
Hacksaw
Feelers, but I can’t remember what they were for. :)

Gwylan

Visit site
Assume that we have all the basics.
Most of the things that have been mentioned.
Magic metal and gasket in a tube, small tube silicone sealant. Roll of wide self amalgamating tape.
Japanese saw
A spare lighter, to light the cooker! Just wonder why.
Cold chocolate and no hot food on an 3ctended sail. But I know that you can light gas with a 9v battery and some thin wire. Learned that on an NCB safety course a long time ago.

Favourite is my pair of French farmers pliers. Wire cutters, pliers, hammer, wrench all in one . One thing I did not leave on the boat when I sold it.

Gwylan

Visit site
Oh and the 20mm piece of Allen key you need to get the starter off a Volvo 2003 engine with less difficulty than the designer intended.
Those funny rubber gasket things that Volvo use for the cooling system.

Frayed Knot

Visit site
A cheap, eBay endoscope - seriously. Works through wi fi to a phone or tablet & has led lights. I’ve had mine for a couple of years now, only needed twice on board but saved huge amounts of faffing. It’s even got bits to fit to the end; hook, magnet, right angle mirror. About £20.