What are we doing wrong !

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
I now see our friends at 'Ship Happens' have now bought another boat additionally to the money pit Sarinda, a little motor boat they renovated, a sailing dinghy and now have a twin gas guzzling petrol engines American offshore cruiser (which also must have cost a small fortune to repair).

Apart from their YouTube site, They are experts at fundraising, you make an Amazon wish list and amazingly people buy you items and send them free, they advertise and companies send them tools, drills, saws , sanders, hammers, clamps, protective clothing, sandpaper and paint free, people pay to join their face book site , Ko Fi at £3 month,and now they have just received 5 tons of marine ply 'free' from a kind (or stupid doner)

I like many others have been saving up these last few months for a tin of anti foul so I must be doing it very wrong :)

prestomg27

Visit site
Get a young shapely lady friend with a frankies bikini, a gopro and setup a youtube and patreon account. Stick said young lady on the fore deck and you will be laughing.

Involve yourself a bit more actively in the filming, set up an onlyfans account and you will be buying a new yacht in no time.

Copy sailing Cadoha and you won't even have to sail anywhere to get the dosh coming in.

Sea Change

Visit site
People have suggested that we could set up a YouTube project but it's an enormous amount of work. Hats off to those who do it well. It's rather than go and earth the money, I reckon it would be less work!!

steveeasy

Visit site
You need a unique USP. What is it ?. without one no chance. With one the skys the limit. Dont watch Ship Happens, You do need to sell your soul really, Not sure its worth it. Try making a film for friends and see if they watch it. I made one for a laugh and they didnt, so I binned that idea.

Steveeasy

Stemar

Visit site
I think what happened with Tally Ho is a good example of what can happen. Leo started off as a shipwright documenting an enormous project, doing a bit then going off to earn some money to continue. The quality of his videos meant that things took off and have allowed him to do things that I doubt very much were on his must have list when he started, like the hybrid engine and all that wonderful bronze work, and to employ people, but at the cost of turning him into a project manager, cameraman and video editor who rarely has time to get his hands dirty.

The end result will be a far better finished and equipped boat, but I do wonder if he doesn't yearn for the days when he was doing it himself sometimes.

mrming

instagram.com
I think what happened with Tally Ho is a good example of what can happen. Leo started off as a shipwright documenting an enormous project, doing a bit then going off to earn some money to continue. The quality of his videos meant that things took off and have allowed him to do things that I doubt very much were on his must have list when he started, like the hybrid engine and all that wonderful bronze work, and to employ people, but at the cost of turning him into a project manager, cameraman and video editor who rarely has time to get his hands dirty.

The end result will be a far better finished and equipped boat, but I do wonder if he doesn't yearn for the days when he was doing it himself sometimes.
I do think Tally Ho is an example of YouTube done well. Agreed it has meant not much boatbuilding for Leo but he will own an incredible vessel with a huge community attached, so can hardly complain. He has done an amazing job - she’s not too far from launch now.

V1701

Visit site
People earn a living or a part of their living, in all sorts of different ways nowadays. It is an awful lot of work producing good content. Being of a certain age and knowing that I'll have a half way decent pension income I wonder how the younger generations will fare when they're older, especially if they make their living in such a way now...

doug748

Visit site
To be fair the bloke on Ship happens (who has posted on here) is no mug at all and they are both tremendously hard working. I do have misgivings that the hull might be full of worm or a family setback or whatever, could derail the whole thing but there we are.

Good luck to them, YouTube is an open field and anyone can have a go. Most fail early doors.

Sea Change

Visit site
These discussions about how easy the YouTubers have it remind me of the trope about people in prison getting free Sky TV and every need catered for.

In both cases, there's nothing to stop you from joining them if you want to. Go ahead and report back about how easy your new lifestyle is.

Alicatt

Visit site
Get a young shapely lady friend with a frankies bikini, a gopro and setup a youtube and patreon account. Stick said young lady on the fore deck and you will be laughing.

Involve yourself a bit more actively in the filming, set up an onlyfans account and you will be buying a new yacht in no time.

Copy sailing Cadoha and you won't even have to sail anywhere to get the dosh coming in.
That went fine until the wife came down to see how much progress had been done...
;)

prestomg27

Visit site
I do think Tally Ho is an example of YouTube done well. Agreed it has meant not much boatbuilding for Leo but he will own an incredible vessel with a huge community attached, so can hardly complain. He has done an amazing job - she’s not too far from launch now.
Looking at yesterday's episode i am guessing that launch might even be this spring/summer. So much work has been done over the last few months. Ehat will Patrick and the other craftsmen do when finished.

steveeasy

Visit site
I wonder if Leo and some of the team might find it hard moving to the next phase. It’s been a lifestyle for a long time. Bit like the boat owner who gets so fixated on his project he forgot it’s about sailing. Then he sells the dam thing after years of work.
Leo going to spend so much time with people on board who contributed. It would be intriguing to see an account of costs and breakdown of donations. Must be over a million With all the staff over last 2 years. Will the pot ever run dry.

Steveeasy

Habebty

Visit site
What I like about Tally Ho rather than Ship Happens, is that rather than simply begging to support a lifestyle, Leo has provided useful (presumably) paid employment to 4-5 people for 3-4 years as well as supporting local Port Townsend businesses. Ship Happens also don't seem to be focussed on a goal or are not very good at communicating it giving the impression of just undertaking random tasks and projects.

Frogmogman

Visit site
These discussions about how easy the YouTubers have it remind me of the trope about people in prison getting free Sky TV and every need catered for.

In both cases, there's nothing to stop you from joining them if you want to. Go ahead and report back about how easy your new lifestyle is.

Quite so. The world is full of armchair critics who seem to believe that building up a YouTube channel with thousands of followers is as simple as falling off the proverbial log.

The truth is that consistently providing interesting content, filming, scripting and editing is no easy task. The ones, like Leo, who manage to do this deserve every success.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
What I like about Tally Ho rather than Ship Happens, is that rather than simply begging to support a lifestyle, Leo has provided useful (presumably) paid employment to 4-5 people for 3-4 years as well as supporting local Port Townsend businesses. Ship Happens also don't seem to be focussed on a goal or are not very good at communicating it giving the impression of just undertaking random tasks and projects.
Don't presume too much! While Leo may be paying people (not sure he would feel the need to mention that or what the contractual basis was), at least early on several people said (IIRC) that they were donating their time in exchange for the experience.

Wansworth

Visit site
It’s the problem of our time the need to belong to be part of something at the same time much YouTube content is built around escaping from the normal life we lead.Boats have always been vehicles for escape and we have all probably bought the books by Hiscock and co probably the original YouTubers selling dreamland escape.

benjenbav

Visit site

I think there’s a degree of inevitability. You start out by doing something you’re good at. Success eventually looks like managing others doing the same thing.

Tally Ho has been/is fascinating and inspirational.

Any sane person would have taken one look at the vaguely boat-shaped firewood and run away to become an accountant.

Thank goodness for a little bit of insanity.