Westerly Griffon questions

Andrew E

Visit site
A few questions on the Griffon that I would appreciate answers to before going to visit one.

In the forecabin, what is the approximate length and beam of the vee-berth? Could for example two 6ft adults comfortably sleep in there? Very hard to judge from the pictures.

I understand the saloon headroom is 6ft but does that continue throughout the saloon or does apply only to to the companionway area?

Some reviews state that the aft pilot berth/quarter berth is a double but from analysing YouTube videos (yes I’m that boring), you’d be hard pressed to fit two adults in there. Out of interest which berth is the most comfortable for a couple? And could 2 couples, e.g. four adults easily spent a night onboard?

What sort of speed could you passage plan with? I’ve estimated boat speed is just over 6 knots, so I suppose around 5 knots to be safe?

How does she handle anything higher than a Force 6? For example does she feel safe and predictable in a proper blow?

Is it true that the bilge keeler versions have a tendency of slamming? I’m not a speed demon so generally not fused, but interesting nevertheless.

I plan to do some offshore sailing, perhaps jaunts to Northern France and the Channel Islands, so apart from accommodation issues, how would she handle longer passages in terms of sea keeping and ability to keep going.

Thanks a million.

seumask

Visit site
I once spent an evening with 4 adults on a Westerly Griffon and was amazed at how commodious this 26footer could be. The owner had plenty of real sea miles in challenging condition on it and I put it on the could down size to one of these quite happily list. I reckon you'd be hard pressed to find a small yacht with as much room on it, that sails well.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
The Griffon would be a good choice for what you want to do - that is just the market it was aimed at. You can only assess whether the boat has enough room for you by actually trying it - one man's palace is another's hovel! However it is a family boat and is probably more spacious than other boats of the same length.

No small boat is comfortable above F6, but likely you will give up before the boat does. How many times would you choose to be out in a F6?

Many bilge keel boats tend to slam, particularly if sailed at angles to expose the weather keel root - just try and sail the boat flat by reducing sail to keep slamming to a minimum. The big problem with bilge keel Griffons is that the first 150 or so were seriously underbuilt in the keel root area, leading to keels breaking away particularly if regularly dried out. Most should have been modified and beefed up by now, although there was a report here recently of one that had not been modified and sunk on a drying mooring. You (or your surveyor) should pay close attention to the keel area and ensure the boat has been properly modified.

Hope this helps.

Andrew E

Visit site
That is great advice, thank you both.I suppose the trade-off with having so much accommodation is how she looks above the waterline. I cannot deny she looks a little ugly compared to slicker looking yachts such as the First 26 and the Moody 27.

RichardTaylor

Visit site
We had a Griffon (mk1) until 2011, my wife is 5'10 myself 6'0

For a 26 footer she was very roomy, however sleeping was always a compromise. The V berth we clashed legs all night, the pull out double (main) cabin berth felt like a small double so we disturbed each other when turning over in our sleep. Eventually we settle for sleeping "head to head" with me down the "coffin" berth and SWMBO getting the double.

Headroom very good, heads room fairly tight for doing the daily business.

F7 she was very capable in the short sharp Solent chop but she would slam, as said before the boat is more capable than us.

Not sure what your criteria is but worth looking as slightly bigger Westerlies (Merlin).

Moonbeam

Visit site
Hello Andrew

I viewed a Griffon a few years ago, good boat, but I found the V berth was not long enough for me (6ft 2")

Headroom might be 6ft, but only if you stand dead centre of the boat near the hatch!

The quarter berth would be very tight for two adults. They'd have to be quite fond of each other.

You won't often see 6 knots, but passage planing at 5 is possible. I'd probably work on 4.5 for the Griffon.

I'm sure (as with most Westerlys of that era,) that you need not worry about what conditions she can handle. They are tough boats.

We currently have a bilge keel. Yes, they will slam if pressed hard to windward in a chop. But we love the flexibility of the bilge keel and it's easy for us to pick our weather/passages so we don't end up having to sail hard to windward and therefore we avoid slamming all together.

We ended up buying a Centaur that time as the V berth on the one we purchased was longer than the Griffon! The chain locker on the Griffon snubs the peak of the V berth whereas the A layout Centaur locker was beneath the V berth with a chain pipe running from deck through the V berth. But it did mean I had to have a foot either side of the pipe.

I don't know what your budget is? And I'm sure you've zeroed in on the boats you have mentioned having already weighed up all the factors. But we sold the Centaur and bought a Konsort (29ft) a few years ago. We still have her now. The Konsort is actually a lot like the Griffon but larger in every aspect except the headroom (still 6ft). The V berth on the Konsort is truly cavernous for it's size. I can lie out with room to spare and it's almost as wide as it is long!

Salty seadog

Visit site
Hello Andrew

I viewed a Griffon a few years ago, good boat, but I found the V berth was not long enough for me (6ft 2")

Headroom might be 6ft, but only if you stand dead centre of the boat near the hatch!

The quarter berth would be very tight for two adults. They'd have to be quite fond of each other.

You won't often see 6 knots, but passage planing at 5 is possible. I'd probably work on 4.5 for the Griffon.

I'm sure (as with most Westerlys of that era,) that you need not worry about what conditions she can handle. They are tough boats.

We currently have a bilge keel. Yes, they will slam if pressed hard to windward in a chop. But we love the flexibility of the bilge keel and it's easy for us to pick our weather/passages so we don't end up having to sail hard to windward and therefore we avoid slamming all together.

We ended up buying a Centaur that time as the V berth on the one we purchased was longer than the Griffon! The chain locker on the Griffon snubs the peak of the V berth whereas the A layout Centaur locker was beneath the V berth with a chain pipe running from deck through the V berth. But it did mean I had to have a foot either side of the pipe.

I don't know what your budget is? And I'm sure you've zeroed in on the boats you have mentioned having already weighed up all the factors. But we sold the Centaur and bought a Konsort (29ft) a few years ago. We still have her now. The Konsort is actually a lot like the Griffon but larger in every aspect except the headroom (still 6ft). The V berth on the Konsort is truly cavernous for it's size. I can lie out with room to spare and it's almost as wide as it is long!

Andrew E

Visit site
I was wondering if anyone could help tell me the differences between the Griffon MK1 and MK2.

I believe the MK2 has more wooden trim but I'm struggling to visibly see the difference. Is it simply that the MK2 used a nicer trim of wood than the MK1? Did the MK2 have the keel strengthened?

Gitane

Visit site
The mk1 and mk2 have similar hulls, spars and rigging. However the difference is in the cabin. The mk2 has a fixed table, whilst the mk1 has a fold away table. Wood trim in the mk2 is different particulary the shelving. Also the double berth arrangements on the mk2 is different from the mk1. Engine wise, I believe the Mk2 had a higher HP engine.