West Country this Summer?

Pete7

Visit site
I'd imagine there's not long before all the holiday cottages are full of private school brats, and only a small fraction of state school brats are actually attending.
They could theoretically do their remote learning from Devon just as well as any of us can 'work from home'.
I think anywhere with campsites nearby will be pretty busy sooner rather than later. I've heard that many areas, campsites are fully booked until October.

Noooo, we were hoping to have a nice quiet fortnight down in the West Country in August, be pissing down with rain and a F7 anyway :rolleyes:

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I'll let you know about Brittany, I'm off down to my boat on Sunday ! (y)
I think I've skipped most of the intervening comments, so I don't know if Lightwave updated, but things seem very much back to normal now here in Roscoff. Chandlers are open, I was in the town centre around 7:30 the other day, and the bars were packed. The marina office and boulangerie are, respectively, allowing only one or two customers inside at a time.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Bearing in mind pretty much everywhere on Lake Solent is advanced booking only at the moment along with Weymouth harbour I thought I'd see what the situation is West of Lyme Bay but unfortunately the various harbour websites such as Salcombe or Dartmouth don't appear to have been updated since the beginning of the month so are still saying closed to overnight visitors.

If anybody here knows anything different it would be useful to know.

atol

Visit site
Bearing in mind pretty much everywhere on Lake Solent is advanced booking only at the moment along with Weymouth harbour I thought I'd see what the situation is West of Lyme Bay but unfortunately the various harbour websites such as Salcombe or Dartmouth don't appear to have been updated since the beginning of the month so are still saying closed to overnight visitors.

If anybody here knows anything different it would be useful to know.

Falmouth Haven
29 June at 09:22 ·
Hello
We are delighted to say that we will be able to welcome more customers from 4th July. The Prime Minister’s recent announcement confirmed that overnight stays on vessels will be allowed from this date and we are looking forward to greeting both visiting vessels and our annual marina berth holders once again.
The safety and wellbeing of our customers and staff continues to be our primary concern. We are therefore making individual decisions about the extent that we can permit use of our facilities taking into account the latest advice. All our staff have been issued with social distancing guidelines and signs are displayed around our facilities urging everyone to maintain a 2m distance from others, wherever possible. We ask that you adhere to this as much as possible and respect the need for our staff to maintain social distancing when dealing with face to face enquiries.
Whilst most facilities can now be used, there are still some restrictions in place which we have detailed below. We are also asking customers to ensure that they follow the current guidelines restricting the mixing of different households when using their vessels.
Swinging Moorings
Swinging moorings are now available to use by mooring holders. If you have mooring equipment that you would like us to fit then you can deliver it to the Boat Park between 0900 and 1700 any day of the week and a member of Falmouth Haven staff will accept this from you whilst observing social distancing. We will endeavour to fit equipment as soon as possible after receiving it.
Grove Place Boat Park
Summer berth holders are able to take up their spaces.
The slipway is available for you to launch by appointment so that appropriate social distancing can take place. Please phone the Boat Park office on 01326 310999 to book a slot.
Marina
From 4th July, we will be accepting visiting vessels at the Marina. We will operate at reduced capacity as we will not be permitting the rafting of vessels alongside each other. The berthing of tenders at the Marina from vessels using the anchorage or our visitor moorings will also be permitted.
Whilst our amenity centre is open, there are restrictions in place to numbers of people using it at any one time. To avoid long queues, we are asking customers on vessels fitted with shower and toilet facilities and fitted with holding tanks to use their on-board facilities instead.
Visitors Moorings
Our visitor moorings will be generally available for use by vessels wishing to stay overnight from the 4th July.
Fuel Barge
Our fuel barge is open from 1000 - 1600 each day to dispense diesel and petrol.
Custom House Quay Pontoon Berths & Outhauls
Both CHQ pontoon berths and outhauls are available for customers to use.
Visitors from Abroad
Vessels arriving from abroad may make use of visitor moorings by prior arrangement and should notify us at least 24 hours in advance of their arrival. The latest requirements for UK arrivals are available at https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control. Visiting yachts are required to complete and submit the form to be found at https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-t… along with instructions and guidance. Those with further questions are recommended to contact the Border Force Yacht line on 0300 123 2012. Skippers of recreational vessels arriving from abroad are also reminded of the requirements under the Public Health (ships) regulations 1979, which apply to any ship or boat, of the requirement to submit a maritime declaration of health form to Cornwall Port Health Authority. Email: porthealth@cornwall.gov.uk Tel: 01872 323090.
We are looking forward to welcoming customers back to Falmouth and hope that everyone can enjoy some excellent sailing this season. We would also like to thank all of our customers for their co-operation during these challenging times.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Thanks for that - interesting that Falmouth and Weymouth are currently banning rafting but Yarmouth are allowing it provided the boats are moored alternately bow to stern and each boat provides their own hand sanitiser

atol

Visit site
Thanks for that - interesting that Falmouth and Weymouth are currently banning rafting but Yarmouth are allowing it provided the boats are moored alternately bow to stern and each boat provides their own hand sanitiser
Duchy of Cornwall St Mary's Harbour

St Mary’s Harbour are pleased to announce that we will be open to visiting yachts from Saturday 4th July.
Visitors from UK, Ireland and the Channel Islands
We are excited to welcome yachtsmen arriving in St Mary’s Harbour from the UK, Ireland or the Channel Islands. The moorings and facilities will be available as before.
Visitors from OUTSIDE the UK, Ireland and the Channel Islands-Including returning residents
We are also pleased to welcome vessels arriving from outside of the UK, Ireland or the Channel Islands (Including UK, Ireland or Channel Island residents) however, in line with current UK Government guidelines, you must isolate on board your vessel for 14 days from your arrival within the UK and provide your details to the UK Border Force here Provide your journey and contact details before you travel to the UK.
Facilities
You will see one or two changes within the Harbour that we have introduced to protect our staff and customers and we ask that you support us in our mission to provide a safe and welcoming facility for you to enjoy.
We look forward to seeing you soon!

James_Calvert

Visit site
From Saturday 4th July, Salcombe Harbour will be open to overnight berthing, for those wishing to stay onboard. This is in line with recent Government guidance (published 23rd June 2020) that removes the previous restriction preventing overnight stays away from your own home. Visiting vessels from sea, along with some other bookings and tender berthing on pontoon landings, will all be subject to normal rafting up; please be aware of this, you may need to take extra precautions, take particular care to maintain a social distance and wash your hands regularly.
Whilst you should be able to maintain a social distance afloat on your own vessel, please bear in mind each step of your trip; especially whilst accessing pontoons or landings which might become busier than normal. Our pontoon landings are generally not over 2m wide and, whilst they will be marked and/or signed to help maintain social distancing, they cannot be adjusted in physical size. Their layout does provide for passing places; observe the pontoon you wish to access, give way to those coming ashore on landing bridges and anticipate having to use extra precautions. Please plan ahead, use common sense, and be patient. We will attempt to monitor activity to the best of our ability and may impose limits or restrictions on certain facilities (or busy areas) should their use prove to be a concern.
Local public toilet facilities are now open around the harbour. Other businesses are beginning to open in line with particular Government timelines but their capacity is restricted. Ferry operators and other commercial passenger carrying craft, where operating, will also be severely limited and a backlog could present its own problem for customers who are queueing. Please check their current status before assuming a service is in operation. Unfortunately, Salcombe has seen the cancellation of many large events including Merlin Rocket and the Salcombe Town Regatta weeks; despite this, we still expect to be busy given fair weather.
The Boatman and Harbour Taxi are operating 7 days a week and, from 4th July, will resume their advertised hours from 08:00 to 23:00, monitoring VHF Channel 14 and 12 respectively.
The Harbour Taxi will be operating at a severely reduced capacity, ensure you have a face covering should you be using any of our taxi or shuttle services; please consider other options available to you or expect a longer waiting time. The Harbour Taxi will be monitoring VHF channel 12 and mobile 07807 643879.
The Harbour Office and Boatpark Hut are open 7 days a week (as advertised) but we request customers queue clear of the office access to enable those at the reception to exit safely.
We ask, where possible, that ALL payments made to Salcombe Harbour Authority are done so by card, in the safest way possible, to minimise contact.
All staff are operating to a revised risk assessment to ensure their (and others) ongoing safety, in line with current Government guidelines. We anticipate this safe system of work may have to be adjusted to follow any further guidance which may influence the services we provide without notice. Please consult our website for current advice.
The Harbour Authority, Harbour Board and SHDC will continue to review Government guidance. Please make every attempt to remain safe and plan ahead, therefore reducing the chance of requiring assistance and avoiding unnecessary contact with others. We appreciate your continued support in maintaining safe and efficient port operations, whilst being able enjoy our beautiful harbour.
Please STAY ALERT – CONTROL THE VIRUS – SAVE LIVES.
Thank you for your kind attention.
Cameron Sims-Stirling
Salcombe Harbour Master
Salcombe Harbour Authority
Harbour Office
Whitestrand
Salcombe
Devon
TQ8 8BU

Carib

www.sailinginlimbo.blogspot.com
Is it just me, or isn't banning rafting rather ridiculous? Washing hands after handling mooring lines/guard rails deals with the 'surfaces' side of things. As for being breathed/coughed/spluttered on etc, the physical distance (in the open air!) between crews in adjacent cockpits must represent the smallest possible risk of contracting Covid. As for pontoon walkways, the 2m guidelines were never meant to suggest that you can catch Covid merely by walking past someone in the open air. I know it's not easy given constantly changing guidance etc, but it feels to me as if various harbour authorities could be taking a much more pragmatic approach.

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site
Remind me - what are the relevant flag signals when a quarantine berth is requested and a visit by the Port Health Authority.....?
Does having a persistent cough qualify as a 'Suspected Notifiable Disease'...?

James_Calvert

Visit site
Is it just me, or isn't banning rafting rather ridiculous? Washing hands after handling mooring lines/guard rails deals with the 'surfaces' side of things. As for being breathed/coughed/spluttered on etc, the physical distance (in the open air!) between crews in adjacent cockpits must represent the smallest possible risk of contracting Covid. As for pontoon walkways, the 2m guidelines were never meant to suggest that you can catch Covid merely by walking past someone in the open air. I know it's not easy given constantly changing guidance etc, but it feels to me as if various harbour authorities could be taking a much more pragmatic approach.
Salcombe takes the opposite line on rafting ie if you come here, you will have to raft. To me that implies that if you don't like it, or the mitigations around it...

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Just received this from Dartmouth

We are happy to announce that Dart Harbour's visitor facilities will fully open on the 4th July and that it will be possible to stay onboard vessels overnight in line with government guidance announced on 23 June 20. This guidance removes previous restrictions preventing overnight stays away from home. Visitor berthing facilities will be fully open, but care will need to be taken to ensure that social distancing is maintained when vessels and tenders are berthed. This means that masters will need to give consideration to distancing before deciding to raft alongside another vessel.

Visitor berths will be allocated on a first come first served basis and advance bookings are not available. Please call on VHF Ch 11 (DartNav) to speak to a River Officer.

Please note that Dart Harbour relies quite heavily on other organisations for bathrooms and wash facilities and many of these remain closed.

For additional information on visiting the Dart, please go to our website.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Seems fair enough! It also makes it fairly clear that, unless we believe Salcombe HA is breaking the law, it's open to other places to do the same.

It seems to be that those which are banning rafting seem to the ones that took the hardest line with the previous editions of the restrictions.

I have to admit to feeling rather sad that you cannot even pick up a buoy in the Beaulieu without having to go through booking in advance and all the other procedures they have put in place

lw395

Visit site
Seems fair enough! It also makes it fairly clear that, unless we believe Salcombe HA is breaking the law, it's open to other places to do the same.
Different people will convince themselves that different things are 'adequately safe'.
Very few people cross rafted boats to the pontoon without touching things.
Rafting to share a swinging mooring might be OK is people were sensible, but rafting along a quay with people from Leicester handling bits of your boat doesn't sound too appealing.
We're feeling we've made the right decision to leave the boat ashore this summer.

zoidberg

Visit site
Apropos Little Grebe's "care will need to be taken to ensure that social distancing is maintained when vessels and tenders are berthed. This means that masters will need to give consideration to distancing before deciding to raft alongside another vessel."

I have some humungous fat inflatable fenders.... I believe the RN call them 'dolphins' :ROFLMAO:

Babylon

Visit site
Different people will convince themselves that different things are 'adequately safe'.
Very few people cross rafted boats to the pontoon without touching things.
Rafting to share a swinging mooring might be OK is people were sensible, but rafting along a quay with people from Leicester handling bits of your boat doesn't sound too appealing.
We're feeling we've made the right decision to leave the boat ashore this summer.

Each person needs to make their own assessment of risk and vulnerability, and decide according to their own degree of alarmism.

In the meantime, the only question that interests me is whether any restriction on the number of boats any given harbour is prepared to accomodate will be matched by a similar reduction in boats wishing to visit.

lw395

Visit site
Each person needs to make their own assessment of risk and vulnerability, and decide according to their own degree of alarmism.

In the meantime, the only question that interests me is whether any restriction on the number of boats any given harbour is prepared to accomodate will be matched by a similar reduction in boats wishing to visit.
Life goes on fairly smoothly if your own risk assessment and degree of alarmism (or their SWMBO's!) is reasonably compatible with those you share space and facilities with. The more people you pack into a place ,the more prospect of a clash of risk assessments. At least the chavs on Bournemouth beach seemed to be happy together thinking the risks were negligible.
My guess is that many people will have scaled back their plans and Yarmouth will have its 'Harbour Full, sod off' sign in action and Cowes will be sending people more than halfway to Newport. My choice of spot in the Solent would probably be anchoring off Hurst.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com

Judging by Poole harbour last week and all the Solent anchorages for the past 2 or 3 weeks the "No rafting" capacity isn't going to get close to meeting demand. I think it will be simpler to make for Cherbourg as soon as allowed.

Other threads that may be of interest