West Country this Summer?

lw395

Visit site
Judging by the moorings in Portland Harbour it seems quite a lot have written off the season. I was sailing earlier in the week and there was 4 boats on moorings in the whole harbour. My guess is getting on for 100 in a normal season.

Krew2 has talked about the problems with Castle Cove launching but people seem reluctant to launch from the WPNSA as their boatyard is still quite full. If they do manage to run any events there's going to be serious space issues.

There are still a lot of boats in the marina and my experience is that not many are going out at all, even for day sails.
We've binned this Summer for 'the big boat'.
There's no racing.
There's a distinct possibility of another lockdown.
We have business distractions and other things in our lives.

If things free up. we'll launch late and stay in all next winter.

zoidberg

Visit site
one of the beauties of the islands is that even in the height of a normal tourist season there is space a plenty,.... Fair winds and stay safe

28086277887_d9b0c1cda5_b.jpg

"I'll be back..."

Jonsigma362

Visit site
Have been to my boat a few times in the West Country and have to say everybody has been very welcoming, things seem to be geering up for a busy season when the time is right. People just need to be patient and understanding not quite sure where all This animosity in the sailing community is coming from maybe thats why our sport is slowly dying.

doug748

Visit site
Have been to my boat a few times in the West Country and have to say everybody has been very welcoming, things seem to be geering up for a busy season when the time is right. People just need to be patient and understanding not quite sure where all This animosity in the sailing community is coming from maybe thats why our sport is slowly dying.

Indeed, the people and the area will be much as it was. Those that are worried otherwise do well to avoid it.

Most recent angst is generated on media platforms, as is the various shades of half baked politics we see around us. Items of "news" are elevated to significance for a moment or two, it excites a few and then is forgotten.
Look at our own East Coast Forum, one single miserable git posts, in a blog about three people read, his concern about anchoring overnight. This translates to "East Coast Anger" generating nearly 300 posts.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I'm not sure it will be busy. I know many boat owners who are not going back in this year. The marina I am in has several vacant berths.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Likewise, and after difficulties was advised to stay on board overnight (well last thing at night and then dawn) to make sure it was ok on its unexpected stay on drying pontoon due to apparent engine issue. An essential task that fitted in well with my hope to get my usual sausages and pasties from the local butchers.

lw395

Visit site
As it now official in England I wonder whether there is any odds in going before the schools would normally break up in terms of trying to avoid crowds
I'd imagine there's not long before all the holiday cottages are full of private school brats, and only a small fraction of state school brats are actually attending.
They could theoretically do their remote learning from Devon just as well as any of us can 'work from home'.
I think anywhere with campsites nearby will be pretty busy sooner rather than later. I've heard that many areas, campsites are fully booked until October.

If I was planning to go any distance, I'd do it soon as possible though, you can't plan ahead. Unfortunately you'll find half the country following that logic, a lot of people want to get some sort of time away ASAP, possibly while they're still 'furrowed'. Employers might not be willing/able to let people take time off later.

If our boat was in the water, I'd be off now, but not planning to go ashore much.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Sailing yesterday didn't feel all that different in terms of the number of number of people out compared with the previous weekend.

I have a feeling next weekend is going to be much like the start of the school holidays

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
As in 20knots and raining on Sunday?
:)
Which is why the newer boat has wheel house and now has larger engine to enable us to bang into the driving murk more effectively. She also has nice new genoa if actual sailing beckons. I would love to get down to the Scilly Islands if they ever open again. A drink outside the Turks Head would really set me up.

SimonFa

Visit site
Sailing yesterday didn't feel all that different in terms of the number of number of people out compared with the previous weekend.

I have a feeling next weekend is going to be much like the start of the school holidays
A few more boats on the moorings in Portland Harbour and at least 10 anchored overnight on Monday, the previous week I'd been on my own.

Plenty of activity in Studland on Tue morning both on and off the water.

All the signs are that sailing is coming out of hibernation.

Carib

www.sailinginlimbo.blogspot.com
Are you actually in Quiberon? We will be passing on the way to Morbihan Fete next year though its a long slog for a small boat. Whats the lock down/quarantine situation in france right now?

You could take a look at the 'France Open for Business' thread a bit further down the list, there's lots of info there including an update from Mr Lightwave.

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com
Which is why the newer boat has wheel house and now has larger engine to enable us to bang into the driving murk more effectively. She also has nice new genoa if actual sailing beckons. I would love to get down to the Scilly Islands if they ever open again. A drink outside the Turks Head would really set me up.

Scilly will be open just the same as the rest of England from the 4th July although our harbour master has not yet made any announcement or changes to the notice to mariners but I would expect that the harbour will also be open to visiting yachts and if not there are many free anchorage’s, just don’t nick my spot ?

SimonFa

Visit site
Scilly will be open just the same as the rest of England from the 4th July although our harbour master has not yet made any announcement or changes to the notice to mariners but I would expect that the harbour will also be open to visiting yachts and if not there are many free anchorage’s, just don’t nick my spot ?
And where would that be? Just so we know not to use it ?