West Country this Summer?

dom

Visit site
Strange looking graph. Were salaries and house prices both zero in 1968?

Indeed, all compounding growth charts look like that and they don't mean very much aside from prompting some Ooohs and Ahhs.

Time for a log scale!

cherod

Visit site
My take on it is that the people of Devon and Cornwall have shown themselves to be anti visitors and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Do you want to spend money with miserable gits who don't want you there?
Not sure I will go West this season.
Cool , thats one down

cherod

Visit site
Well, it would be good to feel at least not actively unwelcome..! I agree about the Scillies; also the Channel Islands look fairly firmly shut. France is technically possible even now. There's a 'voluntary' quarantine for English visitors but I expect those quarantine rules will go at the start of July. In practice I suspect we could turn up in Brittany today and have no issues - but would we be welcome there? All rather uncertain..
Dont think being welcomed or otherwise ever worried the englander before

cherod

Visit site
Not miserable, just realistic. I can't speak.for Devon (they do their scones and pasties all wrong ) but in Cornwall, with one hospital that is almost permanently on black alert in a normal winter, it just won't cope with a summer surge of visitors right now (I think the increase in height of summer is normally 5x) and heaven forbid a second wave of c19.

We also have an much older population than other parts of the UK, and a much higher level of poverty, so a second wave will disproportionately hit us here.

And with a much reduced level of beach safety cover, and the whole issue of social distancing for rescue services, the last thing we need is a bunch of weekend solent sailors down here.

Sorry, sounds harsh I know, you call it miserable, I and others call it realistic and pragmatic.
Do you really expect them to be ” understanding “ , they have spent the last 6 weeks looking at ways of avoiding laws do you expect them to show some respect to you lot ??

cherod

Visit site
I am lucky enough to be based in Devon. On the A38, twixt Exeter and Plymouth, near Ashburton they have deployed an Imperial Scout Walker, I'm not sure if it is armed or if there is a garrison of Stormtroopers nearby. I shall let you draw your own conclusions.
You may need a RIB

cherod

Visit site
Dont think being welcomed or otherwise ever worried the englander before
Your wording can be interpreted in two ways; either all second home owners have done the things you list & are then to be despised, or just a few have. This second home owner is upset that the broad base of the local population chose the first interpretation and are lumping all second home owners in the same (first) bucket, which is patently not fair or correct. That is why this second home owner and anecdotally many others ( check out Rightmove) are off.

on your point about pricing locals out of the market, every second home owner purchase is either a willing sale by a local or several hundred thousands pumped into the local building trade. But most significantly, the overwhelming benefit second home owners have for very many locals is inflate the value of their property, just imagine a blanket ban on all second home purchases tomorrow. The locals should be careful what they wish for, one of the consequences of the get rid of second home owners from Cornwall mantra will be a property price collapse & widespread negative equity, the local economy minus second homes certainly cannot sustain the current market prices.
and young people being able to afford a home !!

cherod

Visit site
I don't have a dog in this fight, but here's a view.

over 45 years ago I, as a young air force officer based at RAF St Mawgan ( Newquay Intl ) and married, with two modest incomes, couldn't afford to buy within 30 miles around. What's more, we coudn't save enough per month to keep up with the rise in Deposits demanded, due to price inflation.

Interest rates got higher and higher. Our chances of getting onto the home ownership ladder became more and more remote.

Interest rates today are the lowest they've been in my lifetime.....
How can a “ young air force officer “ have two modest incomes , i thot the tax payer paid for you lot

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com
Becoming ill during my travels wasn't something that had really come to mind beforehand.

One snag with the IoS is the lack of a secure all weather harbour

one of the beauties of the islands is that even in the height of a normal tourist season There is space a plenty, social distancing is easy. The only places where you are likely to come into close contact are pubs, restaurants and the coop.

it has been quite different sailing around with no visiting yachts here and all anchorage’s empty. Many local businesses are likely to be going out of business before long and like myself will be very glad to see visitors returning.

I have sailed here winter and summer and it can get a bit uncomfortable at times but there is always somewhere to anchor to get away from the worst of any weather.

If anyone plans to come then expect a different type of experience, unless pubs and restaurants can open, plan for not having to use the coop so stock up as if doing a transatlantic before leaving the mainland, it’s cheaper as well.

fair winds and stay safe

longjohnsilver

Visit site
one of the beauties of the islands is that even in the height of a normal tourist season There is space a plenty, social distancing is easy. The only places where you are likely to come into close contact are pubs, restaurants and the coop.

it has been quite different sailing around with no visiting yachts here and all anchorage’s empty. Many local businesses are likely to be going out of business before long and like myself will be very glad to see visitors returning.

I have sailed here winter and summer and it can get a bit uncomfortable at times but there is always somewhere to anchor to get away from the worst of any weather.

If anyone plans to come then expect a different type of experience, unless pubs and restaurants can open, plan for not having to use the coop so stock up as if doing a transatlantic before leaving the mainland, it’s cheaper as well.

fair winds and stay safe
I watched the Devon and Cornwall channel 4 programme last night that featured the fish and chip business on St Martins. I do hope all small businesses on the islands survive, it certainly won’t be the same without them. What’s happened to the Coop?
My elderly neighbourstake a holiday every summer in the New Inn on Tresco. They’ve already decided to postpone till next year. And my plans to spend a few weeks there have almost certainly been delayed until 2021, sadly.

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com
I watched the Devon and Cornwall channel 4 programme last night that featured the fish and chip business on St Martins. I do hope all small businesses on the islands survive, it certainly won’t be the same without them. What’s happened to the Coop?
My elderly neighbourstake a holiday every summer in the New Inn on Tresco. They’ve already decided to postpone till next year. And my plans to spend a few weeks there have almost certainly been delayed until 2021, sadly.

The coop as you know is not much bigger than a small convenience store so becomes a natural bottleneck where it’ll be impossible to social distance and would be the most likely place for cross infection to occur. We may get lucky and not get any it’s just for mitigation purposes.

There’s still plenty of summer left yet you might find yourself tempted for a change of scenery

SimonFa

Visit site
Probably (b) or (c) - some sailing clubs including mine have written off this year so boats have not been launched and with many boat owners in the at risk category ( ie the elder generation) they may stay at home.
Judging by the moorings in Portland Harbour it seems quite a lot have written off the season. I was sailing earlier in the week and there was 4 boats on moorings in the whole harbour. My guess is getting on for 100 in a normal season.

Krew2 has talked about the problems with Castle Cove launching but people seem reluctant to launch from the WPNSA as their boatyard is still quite full. If they do manage to run any events there's going to be serious space issues.

There are still a lot of boats in the marina and my experience is that not many are going out at all, even for day sails.

Other threads that may be of interest