West Country this Summer?

Babylon

Visit site
One small yacht (wind-gen, big alternator, LED lights etc), one inflatable with outboard, one skipper, one small 10 month-old pup...

Newtown ⚓

Yarmouth ?or ? or Keyhaven ⚓

Studland ⚓

Weymouth/Portland ⚓ or ?

[pup's first offshore passage - reduced rations from night before]

Dartmouth ⚓ or ?

Salcombe ?

Yealm ? / ?

Fowey ? / ?

Falmouth ? or ? or ⚓

Helford ? or ⚓

Etc

Its all quite do-able in an old-fashioned sort of way. Any marina restrictions are just another 'constraint' to add to the list!

longjohnsilver

Visit site
One small yacht (wind-gen, big alternator, LED lights etc), one inflatable with outboard, one skipper, one small 10 month-old pup...

Newtown ⚓

Studland ⚓

Weymouth/Portland ⚓ or ?

Dartmouth ⚓ or ?

Salcombe ?

Yealm ? / ?

Fowey ? / ?

Falmouth ? or ? or ⚓

Helford ? or ⚓

Etc

Its all quite do-able in an old-fashioned sort of way. Any marina restrictions are just another 'constraint' to add to the list!

Salcombe, potentially all 3, pontoon in the Bag and overnight on one of the town pontoons, plenty of choices for anchoring, our favourite is up at the Salt Stone, and lots of buoys.
Most important is taking your own dinghy, water taxis are likely to be a problem with social distancing issues.

lw395

Visit site

Newtown ⚓

Studland ⚓

Weymouth/Portland ⚓ or ?

Dartmouth ⚓ or ?

Salcombe ?

Yealm ? / ?

Fowey ? / ?

Falmouth ? or ? or ⚓

Helford ? or ⚓

Etc

Of those, I would anticipate Newtown being full. Every Solent cheapskate who's actually launched their boat this year will try to bags a spot and stay there until the tinned food runs out.
Likewise Yarmouth will be probably be full frequently.
Best to check out Yealm and Fowey. If they're not allowing rafting, capacity is quite small.

My plan would have a lot more options of places to anchor, which would make it a bit more weather dependent.

Babylon

Visit site
Salcombe, potentially all 3, pontoon in the Bag and overnight on one of the town pontoons, plenty of choices for anchoring, our favourite is up at the Salt Stone, and lots of buoys.
Most important is taking your own dinghy, water taxis are likely to be a problem with social distancing issues.

Thanks for the heads-up on Salcombe - never visited on my own yacht, just reading the entry in the Cruising Almanac now.

Re Dartmouth, which would likely be my initial destination after Lyme Bay, I'd then go up to Dittisham - lots of exploring by dinghy and puppy adventures to be had there.

Babylon

Visit site
Of those, I would anticipate Newtown being full. Every Solent cheapskate who's actually launched their boat this year will try to bags a spot and stay there until the tinned food runs out.
Likewise Yarmouth will be probably be full frequently.
Best to check out Yealm and Fowey. If they're not allowing rafting, capacity is quite small.

My plan would have a lot more options of places to anchor, which would make it a bit more weather dependent.

Only really planning on spending a few days in the Solent first - to get myself back into the rhythm of things and indoctrinate the puppy more fully - so not too worried about Newtown, would probably do a buoy off Newtown before pressing on west.

Got Ken Endean's 'Channel Havens' book on board, alongside an old copy of Cunliffe's 'Channel Pilot', as well as last year's Cruising Almanac etc.

Never actually been into Plymouth, so that's an option (to research) after Yealm... or if its full up!

But I somehow suspect that there'll always be room somewhere for my tiddler. ;)

James_Calvert

Visit site
Re Plymouth, I've heard that Plymouth Yacht Haven is open. And the Bridge restaurant there will be operating somehow.

This is on the Mountbatten side of the Cattewater, so important to check the Barbican ferry is operating if you want access to the city.

doug748

Visit site

Never actually been into Plymouth, so that's an option (to research) after Yealm... or if its full up!

But I somehow suspect that there'll always be room somewhere for my tiddler. ;)

There is lots of room in Plymouth marinas at the moment, there must be getting on for 50 free berths in Mayflower alone.

I have noted that the popular anchorages are well used in good weather, as local people with boats on the water are determined to get out. Dull days and weekdays there are few boats as there are still very few visitors. I still think business will be very well down this summer, with the odd hotspot now and again.

lw395

Visit site
There is lots of room in Plymouth marinas at the moment, there must be getting on for 50 free berths in Mayflower alone.

I have noted that the popular anchorages are well used in good weather, as local people with boats on the water are determined to get out. Dull days and weekdays there are few boats as there are still very few visitors. I still think business will be very well down this summer, with the odd hotspot now and again.

I think you are right, but Babylon's itinerary looks like a list of hotspots!

Sadlerfin

Visit site
Judging by Poole harbour last week and all the Solent anchorages for the past 2 or 3 weeks the "No rafting" capacity isn't going to get close to meeting demand. I think it will be simpler to make for Cherbourg as soon as allowed.
Me too thinking of going over Monday evening....... I mailed Cherbourg Marina and they say fully open and welcome us.

zoidberg

Visit site
There are acres of anchorage past Salcombe/The Bag if one goes a little further up towards The Salt Stone, and similarly at Cawsand.
One could readily anchor at Barn Pool/Mount Edgecombe, walk along the beach, and take the foot-ferry across to Plymouth.

Of course, that would entail leaving the boat unattended at anchor.....

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com

Don’t be hard on the pup let it eat. . . . . . . First offshore trip for our pooch was a Biscay crossing, he ate more enthusiastically than usual the whole way, but, it was 24 hours before he could hold his bladder no longer and I swear I could see a distinct look of relief in his eyes, it was still another day or two before he gave in and finally poo’d and He went and went and went again. I was glad he’s only a jack Russell and nothing bigger.

zoidberg

Visit site
Thx, useful to know. Have often left the boat unattended at anchor where conditions are suitable...

Me, too. The holding at Cawsand is reliably good. The best pub is right on the front, with the pie shop ( 'oggies' in the local vernacular ) right next door, and there's a small shop a couple of doors down..... before the plague! Your dinghy will be pulled up on the beach right in front, just yards away sorry, metres.... so you'll be able to be all 'righteous' supping your first pint, snacking your first Cornish oggie, while overwatching for any sign of boat-misbehaviour.

Could scarcely be bettered.

Barn Pool is out of sight of the nearest pub..... just.

Babylon

Visit site
Thanks Zoid.

I've often left the yacht (since the recent 'sailboat' thread-poll I've resolved to never call it the boat any more) at anchor while going off for long walks ashore, but that depends on where etc.

jdc

Visit site
An urgent update on the unfriendliness of the Cornish is required. We have just got back from the pub - the first pint (well more than one actually) of Tribute since lock-down. A few mins after getting home my phone rings: "this is the tracing team: were you at the Dolphin in Grampound?" (coo- I thought incubation period was longer than that) "yes" I reply guardedly. "Well one of your party has left her bank card at the bar". I've had to go back to "retrieve the card". Hardship indeed.

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site
Have you checked the recent debits? Was there an 'Unlock Party' on there you didn't get to go to...?

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Re Plymouth, I've heard that Plymouth Yacht Haven is open. And the Bridge restaurant there will be operating somehow.

This is on the Mountbatten side of the Cattewater, so important to check the Barbican ferry is operating if you want access to the city.
Ah, but the Boringdon Arms says it is still shut and nothing on the Clovelly arms. Barn Pool and row to Edgecombe if Cawsands seems exposed?

chris-s

Visit site
An urgent update on the unfriendliness of the Cornish is required. We have just got back from the pub - the first pint (well more than one actually) of Tribute since lock-down. A few mins after getting home my phone rings: "this is the tracing team: were you at the Dolphin in Grampound?" (coo- I thought incubation period was longer than that) "yes" I reply guardedly. "Well one of your party has left her bank card at the bar". I've had to go back to "retrieve the card". Hardship indeed.

Helluva tide to moor up near there!

Chris

Other threads that may be of interest