West coast anchorages that require dues similar to Chichester Harbour?

Ink

Visit site
In 2012 we spent a couple of weeks cruising from Tory to Inishkea and never paid a eurocent anywhere-. This was for anchoring, moorings, and rafting up with fishing boats.

I can think of Tarbert, Loch Fyne and Mallaig as two places where you would have at least some difficulty in anchoring within the inner harbour limits.

Ink

awol

Visit site
I can think of Tarbert, Loch Fyne and Mallaig as two places where you would have at least some difficulty in anchoring within the inner harbour limits.

Ink
The Admiralty chart of Tarbert has an anchor symbol inside the harbour limit (but at >30m a little taxing), Loch Fyne isn't a harbour and Mallaig's harbour limits extend a fair way out, is shallower but isn't sheltered. Tobermory doesn't charge for anchoring but the showers are PAYG. Stornoway doesn't charge, neither does Rothesay, nor Campbeltown - well for leisure craft, anyway - and so it goes on.

Bodach na mara

Visit site
In the (distant) past I used to anchor in Tarbert, Lochfyne but it has been almost impossible for years. I did once see a scale of charges for use of the Harbour with rates set out for mooring to the quayside, use of a mooring, and anchoring. At that time the marina pontoons had not yet arrived.

I also once was approached in Rothesay Bay by a few youths in a scruffy inflatable demanding a fee for mooring. I pointed out that I was actually anchored, not moored and was told that the fee applied to anchoring as well. I thought then, and still do that they were trying it on and told them to get lost.

Dunstafnage is the only other place in the west coast of Scotland that I think may change for anchoring, but others may know better.

Kelpie

Visit site

Ink
I'm not disputing that, but none of those places are to be found between Tory and Inishkea...

Ink

Visit site
The Admiralty chart of Tarbert has an anchor symbol inside the harbour limit (but at >30m a little taxing), Loch Fyne isn't a harbour and Mallaig's harbour limits extend a fair way out, is shallower but isn't sheltered. Tobermory doesn't charge for anchoring but the showers are PAYG. Stornoway doesn't charge, neither does Rothesay, nor Campbeltown - well for leisure craft, anyway - and so it goes on.

Tarbert, Loch Fyne as opposed to (say) Tarbert, Harris is a recognised harbour. It may well have an anchor symbol. I for one have not anchored within the harbour for fifty years and even then was foul from the shite that was dumped by users.

Try anchoring within the accepted sheltered part of the harbour in Mallaig and you will likely get towed out to sea.

Just as a matter of interest I saw that happen in Carradale to a yacht that wouldn't listen when a fishing boat skipper said he was leaving at six in the morning....

Ink

DFL1010

Visit site
I have an idea that most of the cases mentioned you are being required to contribute harbour dues. That is, you are paying to use the facilities of the harbour as it exists in statute, the lights the breakwaters the buoyage and administration of such.

In some cases this is fair enough, in the Falmouth town anchorage it's a steep charge but at least you have the use of good showers and you can actually see there are significant costs in running the harbour. As John Silver has suggested, it's difficult to imagine what expenses burden the Truro Harbourmaster, they collect anchoring fees for reasons lost in antiquity.

Both the Yealm and St Mawes have the right to ask for payment to the (extensive) outer harbour limits, both pretty exposed, as far as I know neither has tried to do so. If asked I would decline.

Out of interest, after having 'declined', would you up anchor and away?

NormanS

Visit site
I can understand a charge being justified if you are, for example, making use of shore landing facilities. The vast majority of anchorages on the West Coast are entirely natural, with no facilities and no charge.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I can understand a charge being justified if you are, for example, making use of shore landing facilities. The vast majority of anchorages on the West Coast are entirely natural, with no facilities and no charge.
Dartmouth and Salcombe are also large natural harbours, but they are busy enough to have been designated a harbourmaster and thus he gets to impose these charges to pay for his upkeep.

In principle I think no-one should have the right to charge for anchoring anywhere, nor to "steal" anchorages and charge for the use of moorings they lay there, but clearly the crown cares not a whit for what I think. Since I was going to have to pay anyway, I used the pontoons provided in each harbour.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk

Ink
Just a small point - in the Clyde, everywhere north of Arran is part of the port area, operated by Clydeport. So all of the usual anchorages are in the port. No-one charges for any of them that I know of.

Ink

Visit site
Loch fyne is quite a large place, not exactly a harbour.

Jeez oh!

For you and Antartic Pilot's benefit I wrote: "Tarbert, Loch Fyne" to distinguish the place, for any smart Alec's, from any other Tarbert.

I know that Loch Fyne is a quite large place.

Ink

Mataji

Visit site
Just to clarify, true Loch Fyne is not a harbour, but it does contain many safe anchorages, all free, and some with pubs close by.

Visit site
In anywhere charging like that, I'd think about waiting till the tide is on the make and then emptying my holding tank. As St Paul said in his letter to the Boeotians, "Don't get angry: get even."

Ink

Visit site
Just to clarify, true Loch Fyne is not a harbour, but it does contain many safe anchorages, all free, and some with pubs close by.

I never said anywhere that Loch Fyne was a harbour.

Does no- one understand the use of commas in grammar anymore?
Ink

Mataji

Visit site
Ink, I know what you meant. I just wanted to clarify for people who don’t know the area.

eg. If passing through the Crinan canal there is an excellent anchorage (and free moorings) off the Ottercatcher pub a couple of miles north up Loch Fyne.