Waxing issues!!!

Stretch

Visit site
hello to all..i wanted to post on here and see if anyone has any advice on this......
i have been doing a lot of waxing on a boat i work on. when waxing large areas i seem to be getting the swirled/blotchy look. i have been using mainly 3m and collinite paste wax. i have experimented with liquid wax and notice that it is much easier to work with, but would like to get a good paste wax base coat for the long term. i am waxing gel coat that is in good shape overall. i am cleaning it with soap/water...then pre wax cleaner prior to waxing. any advice to getting a good, even look?? am i maybe using to much wax?? not keeping the buffer pad clean enough?? what gives?? thanks in advance!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
If you are using a rotating pad then that is your problem.

At Port Hamble one year a contractor persuaded several owners to have their hulls "Professionally" waxed. The guy used a rotating pad on a geared down angle grinder. In the daylight the hulls looked pristine but in the dimming light of dusk and then the sodium lights of the car/boat park all the swirls and patches showed.

What you need if you MUSt use mechanical means is a "Random Orbital Polisher" as used in car showrooms. These can be hired or even bought for not much cash from places like Autostores and Makro - who sell(at times) a 12 volt version.

Personally, I always use elbowgrease - it takes a lot of time and effort but spread over several weekends of the winter which season is best anyway to avoid streaks & blotches.

Since it is the barrier coat remaining after buffing that provides the protection, I doubt that the original consistency of the wax or it's application medium have any bearing on it's durability.

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>

Stretch

Visit site
hey thanks steve! that may just be the tip that i needed. i have been working on boats for quite a few years and have been on almost all metal boats. dealing with large areas off gel coat is new to me. i have 84' to deal with so i for sure think mechanical means is the way to go. thanks for the advice. i will try a random orbital polisher and go from there!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
If the gel coat is in good condition the a polish with teflon should be OK.

At the start of the season I used the starbrite with teflon polish, twice within a month as recommended, and after 30 separate journeys am still getting a good beading of water when I wash off on all but the fine bow entry which needs to slightly re-done.

Very easy to put on and polish off by hand.

As an alternative, if doing professionally for re-finishing, you might also consider Autoglym restoration polish (foregt the model number). Some of the mobo chaps swear by it, it has a very, very fine abrasive rub within the polish. Good for use by hand or polisher.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Stretch

Visit site
the gel coat is in really good shape overall. the are/were some spots that were dry with almost none to very little oxidation. nothing in need of any more than a very light compounding.
i would love to use teflon polish but have been scared of it. i could care less about the "more trouble to paint later" argument, but the "yellowing" argument scares me. is there any truth to that, or is it perhaps a problem from years ago that has been corrected in the recent years?? also, is it good to get a good wax base coat down before you use the teflon polish?? there is a white 112' down the dock that uses teflon wax with good results. i have been waiting for it to yellow but it hasn't happened yet!!haha

<hr width=100% size=1>

ArthurWood

Visit site
Hi Steve - have read quite the opposite, ie that orbital polishers cause swirls. Non of the professional boat polishing people around here use random thingies, rather the large- headed sander-type with about 10" dia fluffy buffer.

<hr width=100% size=1>