VP D2-55 fuel bleed screw stripped?

MagicalArmchair

Visit site
Just finishing oil and filters on Mirage and noted this. I vaguely recollect being alarmed by this when I first serviced her after buying her last year and then forgot, snugged it up as best I could and just sailed her back.

Fuel does not seep out, however I’m guessing this is neither normal nor good. Any suggestions?

Apologies for all the many questions - first year with the boat back in the Medway so lots still to learn!

pvb

Visit site
The VP parts diagram shows a 2-component bleed screw, so what you have may not be original. The filter head is shown as no longer being available. If you replace it, the later version has a primer bulb built in and is much easier to use - indeed if you just keep pumping the primer, the air goes through the system and into the fuel tank through the return line, so no need to touch the bleed screw.

Screenshot 2020-12-10 at 17.55.43.png

pvb

Visit site

Concerto

Visit site
If you can get a filter head for £16 it's hardly worth the bother.
What, only £16.00 from VP. Then I agree.

Still remember another owner with 4 large containers of VP oil for his twin engine mobo. He said back in the early 1990's it cost a small fortune to keep the new engines under warranty, even though he changed the oil himself.

penberth3

Visit site
What, only £16.00 from VP. Then I agree.

Still remember another owner with 4 large containers of VP oil for his twin engine mobo. He said back in the early 1990's it cost a small fortune to keep the new engines under warranty, even though he changed the oil himself.

No, it wasn't VP but it was another reputable name , a few posts up. I guess a helicoil set would be approaching that sort of money, and it's a bit of a faff if you're doing one for the first time!

Laysula

www.stevehuntdrivinginstructor.co.uk

ithet

Visit site
I had similar on a VP2003. Let me down mid channel. The tighter I tried to get the screw the worse it got as a little loose it let fuel out, tighter and no fuel came out but air got in. The helpful engineer at St Peter Port fitted a helicoil for cost of an hours labour.

MagicalArmchair

Visit site
I had similar on a VP2003. Let me down mid channel. The tighter I tried to get the screw the worse it got as a little loose it let fuel out, tighter and no fuel came out but air got in. The helpful engineer at St Peter Port fitted a helicoil for cost of an hours labour.

That's interesting the engineer fitted the helicopter in situ? Wouldn't he have needed to tap the hole, making swarf? Or with the filter off, I guess you could wash it through with diesel?

dunedin

Visit site
If you replace it, the later version has a primer bulb built in and is much easier to use - indeed if you just keep pumping the primer, the air goes through the system and into the fuel tank through the return line, so no need to touch the bleed screw.

So having the one with the built in primer bulb, do I not need to open the bleed screw? I have always thought I needed to crack the screw open a fraction. Am I doing it wrong?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
So having the one with the built in primer bulb, do I not need to open the bleed screw? I have always thought I needed to crack the screw open a fraction. Am I doing it wrong?

Not so much wrong as unnecessary. Many fuel systems will allow the fuel to be hand pump from the tank, through the system and back though the return pipe, in which case there is no need to open the bleed screw.