VP 2003 - fuel pump...

mdrifter

Visit site
Developing paranoia urges me to enquire what car fuel pump fits the vp 2003, please? I seem to remember this coming up somewhere...Many thanks in anticipation.

skip50

Visit site
I have no idea if there is a car equivalent, but ASAP sell a new, sealed type of fuel pump for the 2003. They now don't list the older type (with a bolt holding the top on, if you see what I mean). If you buy the new type you MUST also buy a new short fuel pipe, bringing the total cost to about £100 or so. It is all explained on their website. I did exactly this earlier this year. The engine would rev to max revs ?3200 in neutral, but only about 2100/2200 in gear. On examining the old pump after removal, there was a spring which should have operated a small valve, lying at right angles to how it should have been. So, it was doing nothing and there must have been 'leakage' back through the valve. The engine now revs properly. I am very pleased.

HTH

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Unlike later Volvos, the 2000 series of engines were designed and built by Volvo, and they have no equivalent automotive base unit. So, you're stuck with Volvo parts or ones made to the same patterns. Low demand makes them expensive!

Vara

Visit site
I have no idea if there is a car equivalent, but ASAP sell a new, sealed type of fuel pump for the 2003. They now don't list the older type (with a bolt holding the top on, if you see what I mean). If you buy the new type you MUST also buy a new short fuel pipe, bringing the total cost to about £100 or so. It is all explained on their website. I did exactly this earlier this year. The engine would rev to max revs ?3200 in neutral, but only about 2100/2200 in gear. On examining the old pump after removal, there was a spring which should have operated a small valve, lying at right angles to how it should have been. So, it was doing nothing and there must have been 'leakage' back through the valve. The engine now revs properly. I am very pleased.

HTH

can you link to this, I can't find it.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Developing paranoia urges me to enquire what car fuel pump fits the vp 2003, please? I seem to remember this coming up somewhere...Many thanks in anticipation.

If you mean the lift pump then maybe consider putting a small Ebay electric pump in line. Easier priming and less cost than a VP lift pump.

DavidGrieves

www.wsandba.co.uk
I also have a VP2003, how can I tell if I have the old or new type of fuel pump?

Old type has a small bolt on top that allows you to take it apart, new one is a sealed unit.

My VP2002 had a new pump fitted and there was a slight diesel leak. I changed the copper washers but still leaked. Took the banjo bolts out and noticed the threads on the banjo were slightly too long and bottomed out in the base of the pump and not squashing the copper washer enough to get a seal. 10 mins with a file sorted it out.

Billba

Visit site
The new type pump is a sealed unit and has no means of opening it for servicing. The old style pump has a nut on the top which when removed gains access to the filter and six nuts and bolts around the middle which when removed enables access to the plunger which forms part of the servicing kit referred to earlier. Incidentally the true comparisons on prices (Keypart website) are new pump £96 must therefore have new pipe £44 = £140. Thus giving you a sealed unit with indeterminate life which on subsequent failure will require £96 replacement. A service kit is £87 which once fitted gives new life to an old pump and should it subsequently fail will be able to be serviced once more. In my case pump started to leak due to spindle wear on the plunger after 23 years. I went with the service kit option and do not expect further trouble for another 23 years.

Hope that helps

Seighin

Visit site
Just wondering if theres any updates here on finding eepla rment liftpump for 2003. My 2003 will idle for about half an hour then cut out, when I checked the fuel filter it was empty, I've cleaned the little gauze in the pump and inspected the diaphram all seems ok the fuel lines were a bit worn so I replaced them and still the same problem. She will steam at high revs all day but not at low revs.
Had anyone come across this before ?
Thanks in advance
Seighin

Bilgediver

Visit site
You have found an old thread to bring to life again!

Have you checked the slow speed stop screw on the governor housing. Some people forget all about it and the engine may be operating with slow speed being dictated just by cable friction and cable length. This is not positive and it is the screw on the governor housing where the throttle connects to the speed lever that should be correctly set for minimum speed and the other screw set for maximum speed.

I don't think there is a problem with the lift pump if you get full revs. If you are afloat can you get above idle in gear? If so then not likely to be a problem with the lift pump.

Seighin

Visit site
You have found an old thread to bring to life again!

Have you checked the slow speed stop screw on the governor housing. Some people forget all about it and the engine may be operating with slow speed being dictated just by cable friction and cable length. This is not positive and it is the screw on the governor housing where the throttle connects to the speed lever that should be correctly set for minimum speed and the other screw set for maximum speed.

I don't think there is a problem with the lift pump if you get full revs. If you are afloat can you get above idle in gear? If so then not likely to be a problem with the lift pump.
Yes I can get revs when in gear, it's only when I leave her at idle about 900 rpm after about half an hour she will stop and the filter will be empty. That's why I'm wondering if the problem is the lift pump