Volvo saildrive electrical isolation

paul

Visit site
I have a Volvo saildrive which I understand is supposed to be electrically isolated from the engine (a MD22). When I connect a multimeter between the saildrive unit (the bit inside the boat) to the engine I get continuity. Is this right or should it be isolated? Is it just the bit of the leg that's under the boat/water that's isolated or should it be the whole leg? How does it achieve the electrical isolation? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Paul

Gypsy

www.tech-x.com.au
My Volvo/Saildrive is not an MD22 (it's a D2-55) but it is isolated. Measuring with a multimeter when the boat is in the water can be misleading as the water has conductivity. On mine you can see plastic/teflon/dunno shims under the bolts which hold the saildrive/gearbox to the motor. I have measured as low as 8ohm and more often 100-200ohm but it depended upon location. Lower in marinas, high or infinity at anchor in a clean Turkish bay...BUT.. when hauled out always infinity. Apart from water conductivity there must be other electrolysis issues going on in marinas to influence the simple multimeter.

crisjones

Visit site
I agree with Gypsy about the boat being in the water.

You can only really test the isolation when the boat is out of the water and dry. I have D2-55 engines with isolated saildrives and a multimeter will correctly show very high resistance when the boat is dry. When testing in the water you get very variable readings that are totally misleading.

bendyone

Visit site
Sails drives are isolated from the -ve by means of a solnode by the -ve connection. It is only connected when the engine is running.