Volt meter issue

SpottyDog5

Visit site
Hi, all
Electrickery is not my thing , please be kind....

I have twin Volvo TAMD 63s , no starting problems, but, the voltmeter on the stb engine only showing 12volts where as the port one is 13.5 volts ish. this is displayed exactly the same on both the upper and lower helms.
My Brother has checked the Alternators both producing output, measured all the batteries (3 off) all around 13.5 volts, the 12 volt boat circuit voltmeter is around 13 volts.
My Brother thinks, as it is is unlightly to have 2 faulty volt meters (haven't check output here yet, due to having to remove panels) it must be the wiring from the engine ?

Any ideas, most welcome please ...
Cheers Roy

Bassplayer

Visit site
OK. Firstly, how good/accurate is your test meter? A cheapo meter made in China will vary its readings.
Assuming you are armed with a good meter re check the voltage on each battery bank (assuming they are isolated from each other). Then check the voltage at the alternator. Put the batteries under load, best way is to put some thing like a powerfull lamp or whatever, the more powerfull the better, accross each battery bank in turn and note the voltage with the engine running at, say 1500 rpm. If there is a difference at the alternators, they may lay your problem (regulator or slipping belt), at the battery, then suspect the batteries.
If all the readings are the same, undo those panels and check the voltage at the meters and work your way back to the batteries until you get the same reading; then you have isolated the problem area.
Good luck!
Oh, batteries can be faulty and still have enough in them to start the engine.

Nickcf

Visit site
Bit odd if it is faulty wiring why it is displaying 12v at both meters. What do the meters read with the engines off (but ignition on!)? If the wiring is faulty it would have to be presenting just the right resistance to cause the meters to read 1.5v less than actual - which is unlikely. Are you talking about engine start batteries or domestic? I'd still suspect an alternator problem.

oGaryo

Visit site
can you more easily swap the connections at the engine to see if the fault follows on the gauges? maybe the upper repeats from the lower gauge hence giving the same reading? hard to be sure without seeing a wiring diagram for the setup. could also disconnect at the engine and do a resistance check through the gauge to see if they differ either side.

SpottyDog5

Visit site
He meter he used was an "in calibration clamp on" ampmeter & Fluke multi meter, both good quality, the panel display volt meters where both showing slightly less than 12 volts (they always seem to be the same no matter what) and then just above 12 volt with engine running. the Alternator output was measured about 22 amps.

SpottyDog5

Visit site
can you more easily swap the connections at the engine to see if the fault follows on the gauges? maybe the upper repeats from the lower gauge hence giving the same reading? hard to be sure without seeing a wiring diagram for the setup. could also disconnect at the engine and do a resistance check through the gauge to see if they differ either side.

That sound like a plan, but in the absence on a engine wiring diagram, I wasn't obvious where the voltmeters pick up their information ?
The boat wiring diagram wasn't of much use.
Cheers

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
He meter he used was an "in calibration clamp on" ampmeter & Fluke multi meter, both good quality, the panel display volt meters where both showing slightly less than 12 volts (they always seem to be the same no matter what) and then just above 12 volt with engine running. the Alternator output was measured about 22 amps.

Hmm, is it worth worrying about then ? Or just accept the stb gauges read a tad low ?

SpottyDog5

Visit site
Hmm, is it worth worrying about then ? Or just accept the stb gauges read a tad low ?
Hi Paul, that's the conclusion we came to this afternoon, hence why we didn't start removing the trim panels. but you know what its like when something is playing on your mind !
With the wealth of knowledge on this forum, I thought I would ask the question, Ive just come of the phone to my brother, he is now reading the forum, he like you , is saying "why worry". He told me, just get hold of a engine wiring diagram and he will have another look, off to search the net for one.
Thanks for you help.
Roy

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hi Roy, the volvo engine wiring diagram will have little effect on the situation as sealine will have wired it there way, wat you need to look for in the engine room is the diode splitter where each engine diverts its charge to the starting and domestic batteries, id say you have a diode block thats not working right,id also check that the alternators have the sensing wires connected to each battery circuit, if one is broken the alternator will think its battery is charged and therefore not give anymore output to where its req.

On some boats this linkwire is fused, in fact from memory it is on sealines.

SpottyDog5

Visit site
Cheers Paul, do you think I need to get to the bottom of this ?
The batteries are fully charged, alternators are producing output.
Is it me just being a bit anal ?

PRH

Visit site
Hi, all
Electrickery is not my thing , please be kind....

I have twin Volvo TAMD 63s , no starting problems, but, the voltmeter on the stb engine only showing 12volts where as the port one is 13.5 volts ish. this is displayed exactly the same on both the upper and lower helms.
My Brother has checked the Alternators both producing output, measured all the batteries (3 off) all around 13.5 volts, the 12 volt boat circuit voltmeter is around 13 volts.
My Brother thinks, as it is is unlightly to have 2 faulty volt meters (haven't check output here yet, due to having to remove panels) it must be the wiring from the engine ?

Any ideas, most welcome please ...
Cheers Roy

Roy,

You usually find this if you strip/play with your Eberspacher!!!!!

If it makes you feel any better mine is exactly the same though I have never touched my Ebby.

If all is well don't worry. You would have had a flat battery by now.

Will lend a hand if you need it.

Peter

SpottyDog5

Visit site
Roy,

You usually find this if you strip/play with your Eberspacher!!!!!

If it makes you feel any better mine is exactly the same though I have never touched my Ebby.

If all is well don't worry. You would have had a flat battery by now.

Will lend a hand if you need it.

Peter
Hi Peter
Whilst I'm sorry you have the same "issue", I'm pleased I'm not alone, much more relaxed now, if it was was a problem, I know you would have sussed it and sorted it.
Perhaps its a design feature !
Cheers
Roy

capsco

Visit site
Problem came with boat when purchased 18 months ago, does not seem to be a problem, just the difference in readings bugs me.

SpottyDog5

Visit site
Might be getting to the bottom of this....
Shore power went off in the night, tried to start the Eber & it wont start, checked the domestic 12 volt circuit and the volt meter is now displaying 12 volts. Connected shore power back up, now displaying 13.5 volts. And my Eber works, I'm guessing my domestic batteries are kaput.