Visitor Moorings Solent

shatnersbassoon

Visit site
Anyone know of any swinging visitor moorings within an easy half day sail from Portsmouth? Langstone or IOW maybe?

We're hoping for a couple of nights away soon, and not too keen on marinas or having to raft up on a pontoon!
We've not tried anchoring yet, and we don't have an anchor light... :rolleyes:

Dockhead

Visit site
There's a nice visitor pontoon near the mouth of the Hamble, at Warsash. And the nicest harbourmasters in the Solent.

Sandyman

Visit site
Hi Matt

You've got the summer mooring trots at Yarmouth. Not sure if you can book them. Probably first come first served.
Have spent a coulpe of overnights there waiting for the ebb next morning.

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
There are visitors moorings in Langstone Harbour by the entrance, on the starboard side as you go in - the seaward side of the old Mulberry concrete harbour section structure (went adrift en route to Normandy D-Day ).

The tide is strong, and although not as much fun as Chichester, the entrance demands respect in strong wind over tide conditions.

The main snag with Langstone Harbour is nowhere to go, especially compared to Chichester Harbour, but if required and staying long enough to be worthwhile, the Ferry Boat Inn ( which serves food ) is just by the aforementioned moorings, tender access easy but do watch that tide !

Ditto Eastney Cruising Association to the West beach, don't know their opening times.

If delayed there by weather there is the marina on the Portsmouth, West side; take care of the winding channel - marked by buoys, but it's only mud anyway ( I forget what the latest name of the place is ) - and the sill at the tidally restricted marina entrance.

There is also Langstone Sailing Club at the North end of the harbour, friendly but not used to visitors - accessed via the gap in the piles of the old railway bridge ( easy when you see it ) dries half tide to soft mud 02392 484577 but pot luck if anyone is there, would be a case of finding a spare mooring in good condition then going ashore by dinghy.

VicS

Visit site
Visitors buoys at Itchenor but they will take several boats :mad:

Visitors buoys in Langstone but would not fancy them.

Might get a mooring from one of the clubs. HISC for example.

Get an anchor light and anchor! ( Shop around for one of these )

Seajet

Visit site
Of course the obvious answer is Cowes, but get the idea you're coming from the East ?

If staying any length of time East Cowes Marina is far quieter in every way compared to the West one which gets a lot of wash etc.

It's an easy walk from East Cowes to the free chain ferry, to the delights of West Cowes.

If coming from the East and considering Chichester - which has a lot to offer - beware the Hayling Island SC moorings to port past the entrance incurr a fee ( I think £5.00 but don't hold me to it ) and it can be very rolly & rough there; there may or may not be a launch service, I wouldn't rely on that but it's a bit exposed for a normal inflatable - ask how I know !

Better to anchor in Emsworth Channel, straight ahead as you enter, heading North.

about half way down - just past Marker Point buoy - anchor JUST east of the line of perches ( vertical sticks ) at the Western side of the channel.

VERY quiet and peaceful, good holding for the anchor; put out 3 times the max' depth in chain and nothing will bother you - you DO need a light though, chandleries sell a nifty job which plugs into the switch panel cigarette lighter socket with a day / night sensor, around £15.00 I think.

As a cheapo easy fix for now, and always useful, Millets sell all round white lights to hang up in tents, running off 4 x large batteries, with Duracells that would certainly last a night or three.

You might even ge tto see the Seal/s there.

Chichester harbour entrance is nothing in normal conditions, you wouldn't even notice it, just don't get a strong ( F5+ ) Southerly wind against the ebb.

It all sounds drastic because idiots like me try to prevent you making the mistakes I have, but it's all a doddle really, have a good time !

Seajet

Visit site
One thing;

especially in Langstone Harbour, if going ashore be security conscious, lock motor to dinghy and if poss' dinghy to something, ( at least take the plug cap off ) don't leave oars or rowlocks.

It's worth locking any tender engine on the pushpit too; but please don't get paranoid, this is based on isolated incidents over several decades around there !

VicS

Visit site
Anchoring is what we'd like to aim for really.
When we do manage to get hold of an anchor light, where would be a good place for a first time overnight anchor?

Newtown but not on a busy summer weekend.

Chichester:
  • East Head but not if there much wind from west or north. Not on a busy weekend either
  • Off the east side of Pilsey island
  • Thorney Channel below or above the moorings ( Nice and quiet up there)
  • South side of Itchenor reach below all the moorings.

Seajet

Visit site
Anchoring is what we'd like to aim for really.
When we do manage to get hold of an anchor light, where would be a good place for a first time overnight anchor?

This post seems to have appeared while I was in the middle of my epistle...

I'd definitely, 100% recommend anchoring to the W side of Emsworth channel in Chichester Harbour as described above.

The only thing which could scupper it is a strong wind from SE / E, but to be too bad there it would be much too bad to go to the entrance; plenty of Plan B options, Emsworth ( pontoon on port side going down channel by town, having branched off to starboard at N end of Emsworth Channel, to port is Sweare Deep ) or the marina, for a pageant about 2.5 hours either side of high water - there is an accurate tide guage giving depth over the sill, binocuars are handy.

Lovely marina, beware narrow berths and very wobbly little finger pontoons if there isn't a boat tied the other side; have boat hook handy.

Emworth Marina 01243 377727

Alternatively follow around to port at the N end of Emsworth Channel into Sweare Deep, to Northney Marina. 02392 466321

Not as nice or interesting as Emsworth but a lot more tidal access, modern marina with all mod cons.

Best to walk across Hayling road bridge from there to Langstone village, 2 nice old pubs serving food.

These marinas are mentioned only as Plan B, the anchorage at the side of Emsworth Channel is great, and you won't be bothered by other boats.

shatnersbassoon

Visit site
Better to anchor in Emsworth Channel, straight ahead as you enter, heading North.

about half way down - just past Marker Point buoy - anchor JUST east of the line of perches ( vertical sticks ) at the Western side of the channel.

VERY quiet and peaceful, good holding for the anchor; put out 3 times the max' depth in chain and nothing will bother you - you DO need a light though, chandleries sell a nifty job which plugs into the switch panel cigarette lighter socket with a day / night sensor, around £15.00 I think.

As a cheapo easy fix for now, and always useful, Millets sell all round white lights to hang up in tents, running off 4 x large batteries, with Duracells that would certainly last a night or three.

Cheers guys,

Quite tempted to get one of those lights from millets and give anchoring in Chichester a go.
We're coming from Fareham, and haven't made it as far as Chichester yet, so should be fun!

lustyd

Visit site
there is an accurate tide guage giving depth over the sill, binocuars are handy.

Even better, you will pass "Emsworth" south cardinal which has a guage on it showing height above chart datum. The sill is 2.4m above CD so add your depth and check here before continuing. The cardinal is quite close to the waiting pontoon so worth a second look even if you have to wait.
Cheers
Dave

lustyd

Visit site
Cheers guys,

Quite tempted to get one of those lights from millets and give anchoring in Chichester a go.
We're coming from Fareham, and haven't made it as far as Chichester yet, so should be fun!

Don't tell the others, but I anchored at Pilsey on Friday night and my anchor light is broken. Shockingly the HM didn't knock on my boat at 2am to fine me, and nobody going up the unlit channel past the charted anchorage hit my boat either.
I plan to fix the light asap but there were 6 other boats near me that night and only 2 were lit at night, one being a mobo (who also had an anchor ball in the daytime).

VicS

Visit site
I have anchoured in Chichester just oposite the entrance to the Bosham channel before you get to the moorings.

Thats the last one in my earlier post "South side of Itchenor reach below all the moorings."

alant

Visit site
Anyone know of any swinging visitor moorings within an easy half day sail from Portsmouth? Langstone or IOW maybe?

We're hoping for a couple of nights away soon, and not too keen on marinas or having to raft up on a pontoon!
We've not tried anchoring yet, and we don't have an anchor light... :rolleyes:

Outside Yarmouth, Cowes, Lymington, Beaulieu River, top of Southampton Water near Eling Wharf, Chichester, to name a few.

Why not buy a simple camping lantern & hoist up the forestay as an anchor light?