Visitor Moorings Solent

VicS

Visit site
top of Southampton Water near Eling Wharf
Is this still a practical proposition.

I went up there some years ago on a rally to visit the sailing club. Since then I think the container port has been extended.

It's not what you would call a pleasant place with the container port in 24 hour operation and containers stacked almost every where you look. Interesting perhaps!
Not to mention the size of the ships you might meet in the area. One ear on Southampton VTS advisable!

ostell

Visit site
We're hoping for a couple of nights away soon, and not too keen on marinas

I know you stated you didn't want a marina but have you tried Chichester marina? Very peaceful and reasonable rates if mid week (may have gone up since I was last there). Eating at Chichester Yacht club is good. Plenty of local walks, to Birdham Pool, Dell quay. Lots of wild life.

In fact i have been told by SWMBO that we are going there tomorrow for a night.

Fantasie 19

Visit site
If coming from the East and considering Chichester - which has a lot to offer - beware the Hayling Island SC moorings to port past the entrance incurr a fee ( I think £5.00 but don't hold me to it ) and it can be very rolly & rough there; there may or may not be a launch service, I wouldn't rely on that but it's a bit exposed for a normal inflatable - ask how I know !

£10 overnight when I last asked.... £5 short stay....

prv

Visit site
There are visitors moorings in Langstone Harbour by the entrance, on the starboard side as you go in

Are you sure? They're on my charts and in the pilot book, but when I tried to use them last year they didn't actually exist. Posting on here, someone told me they had been removed several years before.

you are not required to use an anchor light in a designated anchoring area.
Where does this gem come from?

Think it's a local rule in parts of the US. Not allowed by colregs as far as I know; only dispensation there is that a boat under 7m doesn't need an anchor ball (but does still need a light) if away from channels etc.

Pete

Seajet

Visit site
I haven't been into Langstone Harbour for years, maybe someone can confirm if the visitors moorings on the Hayling side of the channel near the entrance are still there ?

prv

Visit site
I haven't been into Langstone Harbour for years, maybe someone can confirm if the visitors moorings on the Hayling side of the channel near the entrance are still there ?

As I said, I can confirm they weren't there last year :) At least, not where marked on the chart, and if they're nearby then they're very cunningly hidden, because I couldn't find them.

There were some moorings on the other side belonging to Eastney cruising association, but after tying up to one briefly I changed my mind and anchored deeper in the harbour which was far nicer anyway.

Pete

seadog30

Visit site
Newtown River

We have just spent a peaceful evening in Newtown, plenty of space, safe mooring and easy to get to.

All was well until a large MOBO decided to run his generator at 7am :eek:

Try it

pappaecho

Visit site
If you borrow a garden solar light and attach it to your halyard. you will have an anchor light, which may or may not last all night, but unlikely that anyone will ever know