Vire 7

briankerry

Visit site
I am contemplating fitting one of these in my newly aquired, engineless boat. You will no doubt advise me to use a safer diesel one, but this model is very light (55 kg) and therefore seems to fit the bill for my racing boat. Does anyone have any other views/experiences of these engines?

toad

Visit site
I had one once many years ago,if you have dry bilges its very reliable as the electrics do not like the damp.Compaired to a 1cyl diesel its quiet ,smooth and light.It used about 2 to 3 litres a hour and is a very compact unit.The downside is the fire risk, battary chargeing and getting the petrol in marinas

G

Hi Brian, I've had a couple of Vires and rebuilt a couple for friends. They are basically very simple in design. If you have a small space or require a light engine then they are difficult to beat.

Points to watch; It's worth making sure the ingition timing is spot on. The cylinder cooling jacket should be properly winterised to prevent corrosion.

With regard to the fuel side, most of us carry gas on board so if you apply the same care with the install you'll be fine. Do put a cut valve in the fuel line because if the carb float/valve lets the fuel pass when the boat is sitting it can fill up the crankcase..not nice!!

The engines are reasonably economical put be prepared to tote fuel cans back and forth.

Good luck!

B

bob_tyler

I had a Trident 24 fitted with one of these years ago. I built her from a kit and when installing the engine used a portable outboard engine tank, the largest I could get, about 5 galls, so that I could take it ashore to fill up (carried cans as well of course). Being portable meant that you could give it a shake before a trip to ensure that the twostroke mix was thorougly mixed before starting - you can't do that with a fixed tank.

As gravity feed was not possible, I fitted an in-line SU electric pump to pump the fuel to the carb. This was from a wrecked Morris Minor (that dates it a bit, don't know if you can still get them). It worked perfectly for many years and when switched off the fuel could not leak into the float chamber as there was no gravity effect.

I always carried several spark plugs as on a very odd occasion the plug would foul if cruising along very slowly on tickover for a while.

An excellent and surprisingly powerful little iron tops'l. Go for it!

oldharry

Visit site
I agree entirely with the other posts, the Vire is an excellent little engine. If you are using the rubber 'diesel exhaust hose' which most of these engines seemed to have, make sure there is always ample cooling water for it.

If the hose becomes overheated, the internal rubber layer bubbles up, ruptures and forms a 100% effective exhaust shut off valve which will stop the engine dead! Being a 2 stroke it will not tolerate excessive exhaust back pressure. It always starts again instantly, and may run for anything from 30 seconds to half an hour before the flap blocks it again with the same dire results! Always at the crucial moment, too....

A good many Vires have been condemned as 'unreliable' and have been scrapped as a result of this particular fault when all that was needed was a new hose....

G

The biggest thing to watch with Vire .... old and new is to make sure that fuel is clean and free of any grit etc.
Vires normally give up due to failed seals and then the crankcase can draw the fuel etc. The best indication of this is when you need to 'flood' the engine to get it to run.

I had an old Vire 6 that I converted to Coil ignition ..... seals failed and I passed it onto another for a 'drink' - he replaced the seala and its still going strong 5 years later ..... age of the lump must be over 30 yrs now and its giving good service.

I do not like petrol engines in boats though, outboards yes, but not inboards ..... despite the service that the Vire gave - safer with diesel.

You mention about the weight etc. of the Vire .... yes its light and compact, but there are now light compact diesels ..... with more HP as well.