Victory Chain Hook

johnalison

Visit site
Always, except for a lunch-stop in quiet conditions. I would qualify that by saying that this only applies since I have had a windlass, the last 20 years.

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
The 'Victory' chain hook looks a bit more complicated and expensive than my 'normal' chain hook. Is it supposed to have some sort of advantage?
I use mine every time I anchor even if on only a short strop to prevent the chain 'rumbling' on the bow roller.

noelex

Visit site
Try a soft shackle.
There are many options for the chain to snubber attachment, but a soft shackle is hard to beat.

It will not fall off.
It will not jam.
It will not cause any damage to chain galvanising.
It will not cause a point loading on the chain.
Easy to attach/detach, even one handed.
Can be cut in an emergency.
Inexpensive, especially if you make your own.
Quiet.

The biggest drawback is chafe. A soft shackle will need replacing after 300-500 nights at anchor.

As soft shackles have numerous applications, if you find you do not like the solution it is likely the soft shackle can used elsewhere.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I think you need to define or illustrate what is a 'Victory' chain hook. Most marine chain hooks on chandler shelves are rubbish.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/37_74/features/Snubber-Chain-Hooks-Revisited_12156-1.html

Note the little gate on the stainless clevis pin chain hook -Simple and stops the chain falling out

Jonathan

Google!
https://victory-products.com/products/ch2303

There are a bunch or requirements of a good attachment, for me:
* Can attach or remove from tight chain.
* Match working load of snubber (may be less than chain WL).
* Locking.

I would like:
* One hand.
* Will feed over roller.

I've never found a product that does all of these. It think the victory hook may fail three (not locking, can't remove from tight chain, will fall off going over roller). I like locking hooks that I can do with one hand, but none feed easily over a roller. I like soft shackles, but they take two hands. A prusik sling does all of these and is dead cheap to replace.

Sometimes I use a locking hook, sometimes a soft shackle, and sometimes a pruisk sling.

Last edited:

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
In Europe a few versions are available, from different makers: one of them locks with a chain under tension, which can be a nuisance. Sorry cannot help which is which but despite their being almost identical there are these differences, maybe check beforehand.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I have a Victory snubber hook. It is almost impossible to hook it into a chain under load, which is what I wanted it for, to unload the windlass when berthed stern-to. I bent it to try to improve the problem but it was unsuccessful. I no longer use it.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I originally used the upper one in the photo. In heavy surging conditions berthed stern-to it bent and the boat hit the wall.

I replaced it with the one shown below, something like six years ago. It has been perfect, easy to put on, never falls off and ridiculously easy to remove, just wind in the chain a couple of feet. I cannot believe that posters who advocate rolling hitches and soft shackles have ever used a hook like this. It could not be better, in hundreds of anchor nights.

snubberhooks.jpg

I also have a Wichard hook with a securing pin. It is nowhere near as handy, being difficult to put on and even worse to take off.

Last edited:

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I originally used the upper one in the photo. In heavy surging conditions berthed stern-to it bent and the boat hit the wall.

I replaced it with the one shown below, something like six years ago. It has been perfect, easy to put on, never falls off and ridiculously easy to remove, just wind in the chain a couple of feet. I cannot believe that posters who advocate rolling hitches and soft shackles have ever used a hook like this. It could not be better, in hundreds of anchor nights.

https://photobucket.com/share/links...acht%20tech/snubberhooks.jpg.html?sort=4&o=97

I also have a Wichard hook with a securing pin. It is nowhere near as handy, being difficult to put on and even worse to take off.

I use a Wichard type with a spring loaded securing pin which is easy to put on but can be a pain to take off. I once removed the pin which converted it to one like your bottom photo but it tends to fall off when you are lowering the chain so I replaced the pin. Access under the trampoline is rather problematic on my cat.

Richard

Poignard

Visit site
A long time ago I had spent a few days in the spritsail barge "Reminder ".

If I remember correctly, she had a simple two-pronged hook called a "dog" forged out of steel plate and attached to a short length of chain secured to a strong point. It was used to hold the chain outboard of the windlass when the chain was "fleeted" along the windlas drum; as it had to be after every few turns of the windlass.

I can't find a picture of this dog but it was very simple and could easily be made from a piece of steel plate by any blacksmith or steel fabricator, or amateur with a means of heating it sufficiently to be able to bend the fingers.

Attached to a snubber rope it would do exactly what the Victory hook does.

Neeves

Visit site
Vyv, Your top hook, sort of made out of wire - I bent easily in testing (and would never use one again). Vyv and Richard - I hankered after the Witchard hook - Witchard have such a good reputation. The securing pin was a devil to operate with cold wet fingers so we added a bigger 'loop' of cord (which was successful) - but the pin bent. I wa suggested - use 'hard, drawn' wire but sourcing it was too difficult

I've made my own now (a bit too focussed at multihull) and going through developmental stages

Vyv - I agree with your comment on hook vs hitches and soft shackles - we find hooks easier (and there are a number of good hooks) but it might depend on space (and dexterity) to attach.

Jonathan

Last edited:

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com

snubberhooks.jpg

Have you ever anchored in shallow places where it will chronically lie on the bottom in light/zero winds (catamarans use bridles and anchor shallow sometimes--no sense in telling us to shorten up)? I've never found a hook that would not come after lying in the mud for a while. Not every time, but one day in 5. Even the non-locking Mantus hook will come off.

After having the hook come off in this manner several times, it is easy to lose interested in non-locking hooks. Remember that there is no lazy loop to weight it.

Last edited:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Have you ever anchored in shallow places where it will chronically lie on the bottom in light/zero winds (catamarans use bridles and anchor shallow sometimes--no sense in telling us to shorten up)? I've never found a hook that would not come after lying in the mud for a while. Not every time, but one day in 5. Even the non-locking Mantus hook will come off.

After having the hook come off in this manner several times, it is easy to lose interested in non-locking hooks. Remember that there is no lazy loop to weight it.

We typically anchor in shallower water than many would choose, drawing only 1.4 metres (4 ft 6 ins). But I never allow the snubber hook to touch the seabed for exactly that reason. If I need more snubber length I take the line back to the midships cleat.

Bejasus

Visit site
Google!
https://victory-products.com/products/ch2303

There are a bunch or requirements of a good attachment, for me:
* Can attach or remove from tight chain.
* Match working load of snubber (may be less than chain WL).
* Locking.

I would like:
* One hand.
* Will feed over roller.

I've never found a product that does all of these. It think the victory hook may fail three (not locking, can't remove from tight chain, will fall off going over roller). I like locking hooks that I can do with one hand, but none feed easily over a roller. I like soft shackles, but they take two hands. A prusik sling does all of these and is dead cheap to replace.

Sometimes I use a locking hook, sometimes a soft shackle, and sometimes a pruisk sling.

not true on the first two counts!