VHF article in YM

pvb

Visit site
List prices are relatively fixed compared with retail prices. If we went by retail prices, then a single retailer flogging off end-of-line stock could qualify a £500 radio for a place in a group of £150 radios.

That's an interesting view. I wonder why it is then that YBW magazines quote "Guide prices" in equipment reviews, rather than list prices?

T

timbartlett

That's an interesting view. I wonder why it is then that YBW magazines quote "Guide prices" in equipment reviews, rather than list prices?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "YBW magazines":
YBW is a website run by the publishing company that runs (amongst others) Yachting Monthly and Motor Boat and Yachting.
The article that you are criticising because it used list prices appeared in Yachting Monthly.
I also write regularly for Motor Boat and Yachting, which always quotes list prices and sometimes gives "street prices".

Anyway, I tried Googling the SH GX1500, and came up with the following "headline" prices:

Which of those is "typical"? Of that particular selection, £149.99 is the most common.

Maybe we should regard £113.08 as a "target"? The trouble is that it turns into £143.44 when you add shipping and VAT. And it only refers to the white version -- the same retailer charges more for the black one! (that's the £114.48 at the top of the list -- which becomes £145.84 when you get to the checkout)

How about the £116.50? I'm afraid that turns into £153.71 when you add shipping and VAT.

Do you really want yottie mags to be wasting time, money, and pages researching (and explaining) this kind of stuff?

Sybarite

Visit site
YBW is a website run by the publishing company that runs (amongst others) Yachting Monthly and Motor Boat and Yachting.
The article that you are criticising because it used list prices appeared in Yachting Monthly.
I also write regularly for Motor Boat and Yachting, which always quotes list prices and sometimes gives "street prices".

Anyway, I tried Googling the SH GX1500, and came up with the following "headline" prices:

Which of those is "typical"? Of that particular selection, £149.99 is the most common.

Maybe we should regard £113.08 as a "target"? The trouble is that it turns into £143.44 when you add shipping and VAT. And it only refers to the white version -- the same retailer charges more for the black one! (that's the £114.48 at the top of the list -- which becomes £145.84 when you get to the checkout)

How about the £116.50? I'm afraid that turns into £153.71 when you add shipping and VAT.

Do you really want yottie mags to be wasting time, money, and pages researching (and explaining) this kind of stuff?

Perhaps it would help if the UK adopted French law: all advertised prices in publications addressed to the general public must include VAT. If no mention is made of VAT it is deemed to be included.

I personally had a case: I obtained a quote from a boatyard and in their invoice they tried adding TVA to the price quoted - unsuccessfully!

Last edited:

tt65

Visit site
Standard Horizon

I fitted the top of the range model a few years ago complete with the command mike in the cockpit. It is really a good bit of kit

but.....

The function of the DW still defeats me. Continues to DW over incoming strong signals.

T

timbartlett

Perhaps it would help if the UK adopted French law: all advertised prices in publications addressed to the general public must include VAT.
That would make sense. Except, of course, that a lot of mail order companies sell to customers outside the UK, to whom they don't charge VAT.
And (increasingly) a lot of electronics are installed on boats over 12m long, whose owners are entitled to claim exemption from duty.

pvb

Visit site

OK, IPC magazines if you prefer. The point is relevant, because the YBW website lists equipment reviews (here for example) and quotes "Guide prices", including the Motor Boat and Yachting reviews.

As far as Googling for prices is concerned, I think most boatowners are intelligent enough to realise that not all quoted prices include VAT. In the case you quote, a realistic "target price" for the GX1500E might be £140, as that's what several retailers are offering it for.

fireball

Visit site
That's what they (SH GX1500E) are offering it for now...but what were they offering it for two months ago when Tim wrote the article?:rolleyes:

I would guess they were under £150 ... hence then OP's

I found this odd since there are at least two models lower in the range which would have been more appropriate for the test but they are below the arbitrary £150 limit of the article.

perhaps a price range isn't always the best way of filtering products into a review set - it may have been more appropriate to take the 'budget set' range or the 'middle range sets' to review together ...
Using a price cut off (if that is what was done) will often exclude kit that is aimed at the same market as those that are included - producing skewed 'results'.

Visit site
Can anyone offer comment on whether they are better/worse/same as the other radios?
Thanks
Dave

Both Icom and Standard Horizon (Yaesu) are big time Jap electronics makers with reputations to protect. I would always chose one of their models in preference to the cheepo jobbies labelled by XM or the like.

chanelyacht

Visit site
And yes, it's a good radio. If SH had chosen to supply one for the review, I'm sure it would have come out well. But they didn't.

Actually, that's an interesting point.

I'd consider all reviews (not just those in yachtie publications) a lot more informative if the testers did what the public would do - go out and research the market, buy some likely candidates anonymously, then write about them.

Simply sitting back and asking manufacturers to send in test samples is lazy "journalism" - and does not represent the marketplace.

I'm sure IPC could always auction / have a competition for / etc the items they'd bought after the test without breaking the bank. If they were quick they could always return them and give us a review of various chandlers' refund promises as well :)

chrisgee

Visit site
Thanks guys i think I'm convinced and will be going for the sh unit after all :) the article was clearly just a poor choice of unit so I now just have to see how low I can get the price at the show!

Have a look at the Midland Neptune 100 DSC VHF. All the bells and whistles and a large display from Force 4 Chandlers @ £84.95 inc. Been using one for a while now and no probs at all.
Seems like a bargain to me.

T

timbartlett

...A knob is a knob, you twist it (or twiddle it, if you prefer). Tautological to describe it as a twiddle knob each time....
I presume you've never come across anything like these (thumbnails below), then?
a0067243_4523078.jpg

And I'm sure I've seen machines in public toilets that say things like "Insert 3x£1 and pull knob out" (which I would have thought was the exact opposite of the purchaser's intent :D)

PS: But it's a fair comment, duly noted.

Last edited:

goboatingnow

Visit site
The nonsense of advertisers showing prices ex-VAT should be stopped it was prevalent at boat shows, though I understand the office of fair trading slapped a few wrists.

haydude

Visit site
The nonsense of advertisers showing prices ex-VAT should be stopped it was prevalent at boat shows, though I understand the office of fair trading slapped a few wrists.

I believe there is a EU directive (damn EU, it always comes to help the consumer, yet Brits still hate it) that requires consumer prices to be shown inclusive of VAT. In fact the price marking order requires that the price paid is the price shown on the tag. If the retailer makes a mistake by showing a different (lower) price it is the consumer right to demand the purchase of the item at the price shown.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2004/102/contents/made

The law requires that if a business sells goods to the public (like at the boat show), prices are intended inclusive of VAT.

Last edited:
T

timbartlett

OIn the case you quote, a realistic "target price" for the GX1500E might be £140, as that's what several retailers are offering it for.
I can now "reveal"...
Standard Horizon have now introduced the GX1600E.

I also work for a US magazine, so I knew that SH had already launched the "Explorer" (as it is called there) in the USA, which was why they didn't want us (here) to test a radio that would be superseded within a month of publication.

Their dealers undoubtedly knew the GX1600E was on its way, which is why prices for the GX1500E were so low.

Should I have told you this last month? Moot point, and I can see both sides. My decision not to is coloured by the fact that you only get to betray someone's confidence once.