Vetus Bow Thruster 25kgf

TRH

Visit site
Hi is it just me, after fitting a new oil seal in the tail unit of my small Vetus thruster 25kgf. I have read the manual and no where does it tell you how to refill with gear oil ?.Can anyone help on this.

penfold

Visit site
If there's no fill port you may have to fill through the drain, a particularly stupid procedure which seems to have originated in the car industry courtesy of some evil beancounter.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I've just checked the Vetus 25kgf Operators Manual, and, as you say there is no specific mention of filling with oil . Only lubrication in maintenance instructions is 'outboard gear grease' on the prop shaft, and for installation that plus same on bolts and a special grease on the input drive shaft.

The maintenance section does say 'The bow thruster tailpiece has longterm lubrication.', which I take to mean it doesn't need routine maintenance attention, and so instructions (if any) about how to fill are presumably in the relevant workshop manual, though I haven't found one.

You may already have spotted that the Technical Specs section of the Operators Manual says 'TRANSMISSION - LUBRICATION: oil bath, approximately 0.024l (0.8 fl oz) outboard gear oil SAE80W or EP 90.'.

TRH

Visit site
Hi many thanks to you all. I agree it states gear oil EP90 but not where it go's I have removed the motor and found a very small plug with a copper washer which leads me to think it takes oil, but how you fill such a small hole is beyond me.Lets hope someone has managed it and will share

pvb

Visit site
Hi many thanks to you all. I agree it states gear oil EP90 but not where it go's I have removed the motor and found a very small plug with a copper washer which leads me to think it takes oil, but how you fill such a small hole is beyond me.Lets hope someone has managed it and will share

Use a disposable plastic syringe.

penfold

Visit site
How small is the hole? Half a pint isn't bad, get a 50 or 100ml syringe and fill with that, warming the gear oil bottle in a bucket of hot water will help.