Vesper XB-8000 stopped broadcasting it's local WIFI and AIS Output over NMEA 0183 , any thoughts ?

aidancoughlan

Visit site
Has anyone here with an XB-8000 had the AIS output over NMEA/WIFI stop working .... would like to hear any advice if you learnt anything from it.

My XB-8000 AIS Trasceiver used to transmit a local WIFI network which could be picked up on Mobile devices to show an AIS radar style display in the "Watchmate" app. However, it seems to have stopped transmitting a WIFI network - I can't detect one on phones, laptop etc. It seems to have also stopped sending AIS data to the Raymarine Plotter over NMEA (which used to work before). I've not been afloat since the season before last, so I can't confirm if they both stopped together.

I tried downloading the latest vmAIS Software (config utility) from Vesper, and tried resetting the WIFI SSID/Password etc. but still no WIFI output, and no AIS data on the plotter. Tried uninstalling & installing the latest watchmate app on the mobiles, and no change. The NMEA 0183 output in the Configuration utility (connected via USB) is set to 38,400 Baud (required for AIS), and is set to transmit AIS TX etc. The WIFI page in the Config utility is set to "Configure as Access Point", with IP address and Channele tc. defaulted. When I turn that OFF , the option to "Select a Network/Scan" becomes enabled - as far as I can gather it can join another existing WIFI network on board rather than creating it's own. This doesn't find any networks unfortunately (my phone is offering a WIFI hotspot, and there are several others around). I know that AIS Transmit is OK (it shows up on others receivers). I know it's GPS is working (the vmAIS PC utility confirms satellite reception OK).

Working through the symptoms, a fault in the unit itself seems likely unless I am missing something. The options to create a WIFI network, or join one both seem inoperational, and AIS data transmit over NMEA seems inoperational also , but the basic AIS TX seems OK.

Hope we can get this fixed, it's good functionality and we really missed it on our first passage across the local shipping lanes in fairly thick fog!.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I have had an XB8000 for 4 or 5 years now and can't remember any problems ever setting up the wifi. It has always seemed pretty straightforward and just seems to work but I can't remember the steps and just followed the instructions.

I agree that an email to Vespermarine is probably your best bet.

Richard

aidancoughlan

Visit site
Thanks folks. Yes, there is power OK to the unit (it is transmitting OK, and receiving GPS signal). I've opened a ticket with Vesper OK on Friday, but not heard anything yet , obviously closed for the weekend. Was just hoping there was a gotcha, I could fix easily, but I think I will have to wait to hear from support. My worry is that the unit is knackered in some way, but will see. Fingers crossed ! If I find an easy answer /solution will post it.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Thanks folks. Yes, there is power OK to the unit (it is transmitting OK, and receiving GPS signal). I've opened a ticket with Vesper OK on Friday, but not heard anything yet , obviously closed for the weekend. Was just hoping there was a gotcha, I could fix easily, but I think I will have to wait to hear from support. My worry is that the unit is knackered in some way, but will see. Fingers crossed ! If I find an easy answer /solution will post it.
They do supply spare parts.

aidancoughlan

Visit site
Just an update. I went through a number of basic checks (checking lights, software settings, restart etc.) with excellent support from Vesper.
Mostly stuff I had tried already, and All unsuccessful so far though, it does seem (as suspected) to be a hardware issue of some sort with the WIFI board.
One last thing to try (flashing memory) - not in the Owners manual, but feasible with specific instructions from Vesper. I'll wait until after our cruise in case I brick it, since the transmit functions are still working. We will have to send it back to New Zealand for repair afterwards if the flash procedure doesn't work.

Dissapointed that it would develop an internal problem after 3-4 years in a secure dry location, but can't fault support so far.

Halo

Visit site
I have mine connected to the Raymarine C80 by cable and that is still working but my WiFi has also stopped transmitting to my iPhone and iPad. I thought it was probably because of an apple update but suspect it is the same thing as yours. Whilst my raymarine is still working on ais will not disturb things until winter but experience tells me if a couple of units have this problem it will become a common issue

pessimist

Visit site
We have the XB-6000 and use a Raspberry Pi connected to the USB output using the rather excellent Kplex software from Laika of this parish. The Pi is used for many other things but Kplex allows us to propagate a WiFi signal with AIS and GPS around the boat. Might help, at least as an interim solution and considerably cheaper and more convenient than return postage to NZ and a fixed fee North of £80.

bonpland

ozeansegeln.de
We have an almost similar problem with our XB-8000 unit and I was just searching on the web for a solution. Wifi has become unreliable with no apparent incident that might have caused any damage to the unit. Configuration options haven't been changed, the signal just disappeared. After switching the unit off and on again, the signal re-appears before it disappears again after some time. Our navigation computer (a Raspberry Pi running OpenCPN) is connected to the unit via USB and all information, GPS and AIS, are being transmitted just fine via this connection, even when Wifi has stopped working.
As we do not run the vmAIS app on our navigation computer and use the Wifi connection for with the official Vesper app for configuration and for setting the anchor alarm, the Wifi problems have become an important issue for us, especially regarding the anchor alarm, which we use as our main alarm element (so far, it only goes off when we leave an anchorage and forget to shut it off before weighing anchor).
The unit is mounted in a dry and secure location, we had no incident of any kind that might have caused any damage to the unit. Apart from the shutdown of the Wifi signal, all functions are working fine. However, it does not strengthen my trust into this otherwise well constructed and reliable unit and I hope this is a software bug with some log file buffer overflow or something. I'd be very interested in what caused the problems in other units.

aidancoughlan

Visit site
I just realised I never updated this thread. Vesper support were very helpful - they gave me instructions to flash the unit (the procedure needed three hands, and involved shorting wires, and some Laptop instructions to apply updates within 30 seconds!). It apparently triggers the unit to use another redundant WIFI module on the board. The procedure worked - for a while. It got us through last seasons summer cruise, but is on the blink again this season. I contacted Vesper support (now handled by Garmin) - and they have again been helpful. WIFI modules out of stock until July apparently, but they are going to contact me again after checking what options they have.
I suspect the WIFI module has been unreliable on some of these units, and in fairness they seem to be doing their best to address it. At the very least, the flash procedure may get some of you working again (though I suspect mine is now toast after failing again on the other module) .

Note: The until still works for me as an AIS Transponder/receiver connected to my plotter - but the WIFI feature is misssing. It's a pity, since it was a unique selling point of the unit when purchased.

masp2

Visit site
Hi. I'm coming later this this thread but have just had the same experience with my xb8000. No WiFi. I decided to update the firmware which seemed to have three phases; the update failed each time on the third update phase when the title 'Tail' appeared just secs before failure. As others have said, I think I'm still tramsmitting AIS and possibly receiving also. But I can't see the WiFi signal so the iPad/ laptop/ OpenCPN system is not displaying targets etc. Does anyone have any latest info on solutions? Can't say I'm all that keen on the flashing solution! Many thanks.

masp2

Visit site
Thanks TSB240, that's a really good idea. As it happens, Garmin (new owners of Vesper) have just today agreed to replace the failed unit (6mths old) at no cost. Got to give them their dues for response; their support people have been excellent. Glad not to have had to send the unit to NZ for repair. Your suggestion would make an excellent backup.