Vertue XXXV - Humphrey Barton

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
A tremendous account of the first ever East to West Atlantic crossing by the Northern route in a small 25’ yacht in 1950. It took 46 days.

I have to say I am a bit addicted to any adventure taken in a Vertue and I was rewarded by Humphrey Barton’s account of his epic crossing. It really is a hair-raising read as his account is clearly a day-by-day account that has been written in a rolling and pitching cabin. There are several North Atlantic depressions that he battles through. The roller reefing requires two people to reef – and he hardly ever complains, but it is clear from my interpretation that he does he piqued at being called to reef when off-watch.

What particularly struck me is that it was done with very little “modern” equipment. There was no VHF even and communications were done using code flags and Morse code!. All navigation was by sextant and there was no self-steering. The tiller was just lashed using tiller lines. All food was tinned and there was no engine – the space being reserved for a large water tank.

It is clear from this account that the Vertue is indeed a pedigree yacht. The only criticisms are of the boom gallows that catches the boom when very close hauled, and he recommends a telescopic one for future Vertues.

When he gets knocked down South of Bermuda, the doghouse windows smash-in and the cabin is flooded. It is very clear how important storm boards would have been in such a situation as would strums to the bilge suctions as lots of detritus blocks them up at a critical moment. Interestingly the sea anchor tears apart (this seems to be a common occurrence even today). Given the extremes of weather he never uses his tri-sail, as it is much easier to reef down rather than change sails in the conditions he encountered. He makes many more of these interesting observations.

One clever addition is that of the gimballed table. How many people have gimballed tables these days? It clearly is of a great advantage on an ocean crossing.

All in all a very rewarding read for anybody that wants to cross oceans in a small boat. Told in a delightful prose, which we may consider a bit old fashioned today, but nevertheless expresses the hardships they endure, with good old-fashioned British resolve, and in very English understated manner.

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
I thought that the first East-West crossing on the northern route was RD Graham's 1930's singlehanded trip in "Emanuel" (also a good read - book is called "Rough Passage") - but Vertue XXXV is a good book anyway.

Worth looking out for a book by Barton called "Atlantic Adventurers" which is a compendium of small (under 30ft LOA) boat Atlantic crossings.

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
[ QUOTE ]
thought that the first East-West crossing on the northern route was RD Graham's 1930's singlehanded trip in "Emanuel" (also a good read - book is called "Rough Passage") - but Vertue XXXV is a good book anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the book it is clear that Barton is unsure of this claim himself. He says be believes to be the first small sloop across - could have "Emanuel" been a gaffer?

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Indeed she was!

RD Graham (father of the late Helen Tew) also made a voyage to New Zealand in a gaff rigged yawl in 1939 but that was a bad year for publishing yottibooks and his account was never published.

Helen Graham married John Tew who wrote "A Manual for Small Yachts" with RD Graham - a (very good) book that contains the memorable line. "our wife and/or daughter says..."

reginaldon

Visit site
I've been v. fortunate, I was around when a school library was getting rid of all its Mariners' Library books, which I believe a keen sailor had been responsible for acquiring. I certainly would not have got rid of them when I was a school librarian. However I have just read Vertue XXXV and Rough Passage & read #200 Millionaire some time ago.
NB. I think Harry Pigeon's book of his circumnavigation was an excellent account of a great achievement.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
thought that the first East-West crossing on the northern route was RD Graham's 1930's singlehanded trip in "Emanuel" (also a good read - book is called "Rough Passage") - but Vertue XXXV is a good book anyway.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What about Saint Brendan, not to mention the Vikings.