Varnish Application: Can A Roller Be Used?

• Thread starter Deleted member 36384
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 36384

Hello,

I have a lot of interior varnishing to do this winter. There are some bulkheads, large areas that will need varnishing and I was wondering if a roller can be used, or if it would just introduce too many bubbles.

If a roller is suitable, what is the best kind and tips on usage e.g. thin varnish a bit, tip off with a brush after coating, roller and sand between coats and brush on final top coat, or brush last 2 coats.

The Varnish will be Ronseal Exterior Satin, I have used that with brush on various locker doors and like the finish. So far I have used brushes for my varnishing but have never taken on so much surface area before.

Thanks,

BlowingOldBoots

Davegriff

Visit site
Sounds like a good idea. Never tried it (other than with paint), but as varnish is litttle more than paint without the pigment, I see no reason why it shouldn't work well. I usually thin varnish and paint a little anyway to attain a smoother finish, so see no problem there. Too much thinning will kill the gloss of course, but shouldn't harm the under coats. :)

As to "tipping off" a roller job, I've never found it necessary, and actully find it rather spoils the pretty much perfect finish attainable with a roller, besides the fact with the extra work involved, you may as just use a brush anyway if taking that route! Certainly my own boat hull is pure roller finished, to the amazement of anyone I've ever admitted it too. I always use a smallish, short-bristled "gloss" roller, and work fast in narrow strips to avoid any dry edges, the worst enemy. If coats are applied in reasonably quick succession, sanding between applications shouldn't be necessary, except to remove any blemishes.

So I say go for it, and ditch the brush. All IMHO, of course.

yoda

Visit site
I have seen it done on a you tube video but the guy tipped it off with a very high quality brush. Give it a go, at worst you will just need to wipe off with a white spirit rag before it dries.

Yoda

Keith-i

Visit site
I've recently varnished a door and used a roller followed by tipping off. I wet sanded between coats and ended up with a very good finish. The tipping off pulls the bubbles out that were left by the roller.

Bob_Ranft

Visit site
Had similar problem varnishing 15 foot wide bulkhead on a catamaran. Main problem was brush marks. Then remembered that all the wood work in all the liners we used to build was essentially french polished. The lacquer / varnish was applied with cloth pads. So in order to provide a lint free cloth I used a new tack cloth. Folded it into a pad, dipped it into varnish and set to on the bulkhead. Result - a total brush / bubble mark free finish applied in a fraction of the time taken with a brush. I always varnish large relatively flat areas by this method now. The old ship builders knew a thing or two. Try it on a small out of the way area.

Best of luck
Bob

alant

Visit site
Hello,

I have a lot of interior varnishing to do this winter. There are some bulkheads, large areas that will need varnishing and I was wondering if a roller can be used, or if it would just introduce too many bubbles.

If a roller is suitable, what is the best kind and tips on usage e.g. thin varnish a bit, tip off with a brush after coating, roller and sand between coats and brush on final top coat, or brush last 2 coats.

The Varnish will be Ronseal Exterior Satin, I have used that with brush on various locker doors and like the finish. So far I have used brushes for my varnishing but have never taken on so much surface area before.

Thanks,

BlowingOldBoots

Have used a roller on white gloss at home (doors) & good results.
I use a small radiator roller, with a sponge sleeve.
Don't load roller too much.

Farmer Piles

Visit site
A great tip from my daughter's partner is to put 5% thinners in paint and varnish as being that little bit less viscous means that the finish is superb. He is a professional yacht rigger who has worked on superyachts and renovated numerous boats of his own.

Other threads that may be of interest