Updated Notice 8 for sailing pleasure craft to and from the UK

steve yates

Visit site
I'm puzzled - why does documenting your departure in a yacht impose on your freedom. Every time you leave your country your passport is checked, your name is included in an aircraft's (or cross channel ferry) manifest. But maybe you eschew aircraft and ferries and only drive in the UK (where your number plate is probably digitally recorded a number if times). You obviously don't use a credit card as it has your name on it...... :)

Methinks you either complain too much or forgot to add the smilie.

Jonathan
No it.s not. Not if you just sail off it isnt. And going through security in an airport where someone scans your passport is nothing at all like having to obtain and complete a form with various entries, and then send it. That IS an impingement.

Fascadale

Visit site
And I think you can take a ham sandwich with you if you go that way.

Ah, yes, the ham sandwich conundrum. In the end it was a Cornish Pasty (Etheringtons, very very good) that smashed through the red tape. In many ways thanks to the clarification offer by this threadhttps://forums.ybw.com/index.php?threads/sailing-to-ulster-with-a-ham-sandwich-on-board.559329/page-2

Having eaten most of the pasty and not having sufficient appetite for the crust I was left with another quandary: was the crust “International Catering Waste” or not? ( Big fines for getting it wrong) The marvellously ambiguous government document gives little guidance.

Anyone wishing to depart UK waters should become fully informed by readinghttps://www.gov.uk/guidance/handling-and-disposing-of-international-catering-waste

Enjoy

westhinder

Visit site
I must have got this wrong but:

If I depart the UK for the EU then , yes I must report, but if I depart the UK to NI then I am not required to report and then if I depart NI for the EU I do not need to report

Am I correct in my interpretation of this nonsense?
If I read you correctly, NI is outside the UK. Now that would solve a few problems, but I’m not sure it wouldn’t create more problems than it solved ?

Boathook

Visit site
I wonder what would happen if we all (forumites) decided to sail/motor to France for every weekend for the whole of next year. Of course, most of us would have pressing concerns that meant we had to cancel our previously completed C1331 s . Would the system stand up to this unforeseen use of our new border freedoms? As we know from the pandemic, Spreadsheets are valuable tools in data validity!

Or will ordinary use just stuff it up anyway?
I think ordinary use will cause problems. I used it this year when I managed to get to the CI in mid July and rang at 2200 hours upon my return. It was answered and I was cleared by someone who said it was an emergency out of hours service.
Having looked at the electronic C1331, I think I will next year print out some paper versions to keep on board, fill out and post just before departure. There is the cost of a 2nd class stamp though ...

Daydream believer

Visit site
I think ordinary use will cause problems. I used it this year when I managed to get to the CI in mid July and rang at 2200 hours upon my return. It was answered and I was cleared by someone who said it was an emergency out of hours service.
Having looked at the electronic C1331, I think I will next year print out some paper versions to keep on board, fill out and post just before departure. There is the cost of a 2nd class stamp though ...
Do not stick a stamp on it. The post man can knock them up & get em out of bed at the other end & they can pay the extra cost as well.
Does that still happen?

Tomahawk

Visit site
”For craft carrying 12 people or less….”

May I refer HM Revenue & Customs to the custom of using correct grammar in formal documents? From the Cambridge dictionary:

“Less and fewer with a noun
We usually use less with uncountable nouns. We use fewer with plural nouns:

Warning:
You will often hear less used with plural countable nouns in informal spoken situations, but traditionally it is not considered to be correct”

You can always comfort the gramar nazi by saying there their theyr.

chrishscorp

Visit site
Well in our village the postie does not come untill 10-00 so you would have to be a pretty lazy s.d to know, Although with the number of retirees & the nick name " god's waiting room," many just stay in bed until the dinner gong.

I work all over our village and half the village has my postie so I see him most days.
I seem to recollect the last one we had with no stamp we had to get from the local post office to pay the surcharge

Seven Spades

Visit site
That notice is very deceiving because it makes no reference to the “exceptional relief“ available for extended voyages. I wrote to HMRC and received this confirmatio, I hope it is useful:-

Vessels that are undertaking a round the world trip or extended voyage will be able to claim RGR under the exceptional circumstances waiver.
As long as the vessel remains in the same ownership and has undergone only running repairs/maintenance then HMRC will allow a waiver to the 3 year rule.
Applications for a waiver should be made in writing to:
The National Import Reliefs Unit
Dorchester House
52 – 58 Great Victoria Street
Belfast
BT2 7WF
niru@hmrc.gov.uk
0300 322 7065

Interestingly it looks as though if you return from a long voyage by entering into say Dublin, you don’t then need to declare your return to the National Yacht Line or anyone else upon return to the U.K. from Ireland.

awol

Visit site
Interestingly it looks as though if you return from a long voyage by entering into say Dublin, you don’t then need to declare your return to the National Yacht Line or anyone else upon return to the U.K. from Ireland.
It is important to differentiate between GB and UK and it appears that reporting (whatever that turns out to be) is necessary if you reach Noriron from the EU but a different variety than if you go straight to GB. Where the Isle of Man fits in as not EU, UK or GB, I have no idea!

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Also, what happened to the App that they've been Beta testing for over a year? It's now morphed in to an Excel spreadsheet with instructions such as "The C1331 tab cannot have carriage returns"
I tried using the app and it didnt work and lost my data. So I decided to go the Scilly not France and had a happy time.

Quiddle

Visit site
I'm puzzled - why does documenting your departure in a yacht impose on your freedom. Every time you leave your country your passport is checked, your name is included in an aircraft's (or cross channel ferry) manifest. But maybe you eschew aircraft and ferries and only drive in the UK (where your number plate is probably digitally recorded a number if times). You obviously don't use a credit card as it has your name on it...... :)

Methinks you either complain too much or forgot to add the smilie.

Jonathan
A passport is not required, by law, to leave the UK. Nor is one required for a UK citizen to enter the UK although it will speed up the process. Many carriers use a passport as a convenient means of identification, i.e. flights between Ireland and UK, but there is no legal requirement for a UK citizen to present a passport at the UK border, whether that be in the Irish Sea, as is currently the case, or in La Manche.

Seven Spades

Visit site
I have just spotted something new I am puzzeled by this:

Arriving into Northern Ireland
JourneyReport
EU countries into Northern Irelandyes
Rest of the world (excluding Great Britain) into Northern Irelandyes
Ireland into Northern Ireland (but not passenger or crew details)yes
Channel Islands into Northern Irelandyes

According to this you have to call the yacht line if traveling by boat between Ireland and NI but you don't have to do a thing if you drive across the border why is this?

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
A passport is not required, by law, to leave the UK. Nor is one required for a UK citizen to enter the UK although it will speed up the process. Many carriers use a passport as a convenient means of identification, i.e. flights between Ireland and UK, but there is no legal requirement for a UK citizen to present a passport at the UK border, whether that be in the Irish Sea, as is currently the case, or in La Manche.
For international journeys, carriers are required to determine whether a passenger is eligible to land at the destination, and can be fined quite heavily if they accept someone who isn't eligible.

westhinder

Visit site
What if I cross the North Sea and tell Border Force/Customs/anyone else who asks that I am a U.K. citizen? How can they prove I am not?

st599

Visit site
Does it define using a vessel anywhere?

For the temporary import in to the EU, I understand the importer can't be an EU resident, but that document seems to state that you couldn't have any EU residents on board - so no meeting up with your friends whilst in the EU?