Unwelcome Furry Stowaways

H

highandry

In old tramp ships we used to leave a shallow bowl of rum out at night with lump sugar spread around the deck...Rats come aboard, drink the rum, get pissed, start fighting and throwing rocks at each other. When they're all unconcious, pick 'em up by the tail and throw 'em over the side...:D :D

samwise

kalessin-of-orwell.blogspot.com
Rats are extremely resilient creatures and quite bright ( unlike mice). We have never had them on the boat ( thankfully) but have had them in the roof of the house, where they carefully ignored all the spring traps laid around . The only solution was to lay poison sachets, which did kill them off. The problem is that they usually go off to some inacessible place to peg out. The last one expired close to a hot water pipe run, underneath a substantial kitchen unit. Aforesaid unit had to be ripped out and rat remains extracted and extensive disinfectant process commenced. Although this was over four years ago, I'm sure I can still smell it!

FRANKIE.J

Visit site
Is this the answer???

As we are getting ready for another trip to the Ionion, the subject of furry stowaways has arisen again.We have heard that the little b*****s are on the rampage again ( I mean rats). Meganisi seems to be a popular venue for them.
I would like to thank everyone who replied with their suggestions.
The python ate the cat, then got its head stuck in one of the large funnel's and suffocated,but not to be deterred,I think I have found the answer to the problem.

I have ordered one of these gizmos from ---
www.guardianage.com
Unlike FIFA I am willing to try out technology and am looking forward to its arrival and subsequent "sea trials" So watch this space.

boguing

Visit site
Having also had a 'guest' from Meganisi, we used to:-

If anchored with line ashore, hang the kedge from the line to sink it.

Anchored stern to a quay, loosen stern lines at night and pull out on the anchor, and again, weight the lines. I've seen rats on the quays at Vounaki and by the ferry slip in Spartakhori.

A little pile of fresh fruit on neighbouring boats would certainly make yours less attractive.

Boo2

Visit site
All suggestions will be taken seriously ( or laughed at).
I read in one of Gavin Maxewell's books that the key to setting traps for rats is not to bother to bait them but to make sure that they are set at the edges of the room they are in 'cos apparently rats will entirely circumnavigate any room they are in. Dunno if it's true or not...

Boo2

prv

Visit site
I read in one of Gavin Maxewell's books that the key to setting traps for rats is not to bother to bait them but to make sure that they are set at the edges of the room they are in 'cos apparently rats will entirely circumnavigate any room they are in. Dunno if it's true or not...

Certainly rats prefer to run round the edges of things rather than across open spaces.

Pete

Gunfleet

Visit site
not so exotic Humber rat

Most of you have acquired your rats in foreign climes. Mine came aboard in Hull and ate its way though a bulkhead to get at the porridge in my galley. I hadn't been aboard for a month and the mess (rat c$ap, shredded plastic bags, Yorkshire tea etc) was unbelievable. I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed but didn't feel happy, so I painted all the lockers. I bought one of those plug in devices from B&Q which is meant to dissuade rodents. So far no more visits.

Marsupial

Visit site
Hissing Sid

The idea of a python appeals but they only eat a few times a year, so you would need multiple pythons to ensure continued protection. I would employ an air rifle with a "killing box", basically a three sided metal box that resists air rife pellets - dont want to damage the boat do we. Rats love tallow or lard, smear a bit on the box and wait, rat will lick it off - point gun and shoot. Works every time.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Last week a neighbouring yacht in Leros had a rat on board. Aboard it walked past two cats and a dog, who could not have been less interested. It was caught in one of those cage type traps within an hour or so.

cimo

Visit site
Last week a neighbouring yacht in Leros had a rat on board. Aboard it walked past two cats and a dog, who could not have been less interested. It was caught in one of those cage type traps within an hour or so.

:). they ain't earning their keep by the sounds of it. canceling feeding time for a few days should see some results.

boguing

Visit site
I think that it should be admitted that Greek rats aren't a great deal bigger than Hamsters. 6" body, same for the tail. Nasty temper, definitely, but not the size of a proper English City rat. I kicked a Colchester one once (in a testosterone/panic kind of way - met it as I opened a factory door and turned on the lights, don't know who was more scared.) as big and heavy as a cat I tell 'ee. Good kick though.

Hawkflier

Visit site
This thread has made me think!
As a falconer who keeps and hunts a large female Harris hawk I have been thinking about the feasibility of sailing with a hawk aboard. Would she get sea sick?
I think she would be a solution to any rat within a 2 mile radius although I think that I will have to figure out a perch and accommodation solution for her. Hawk S**t all over the decks is not a good idea.

My comments are a little tongue in cheek but it could be a good idea out of the summer (fat moulting hawk not hunting season),

Well assuming that I manage to buy a boat this year after 14 years without one during which time I have crewed for others!

Still hoping for responses to my requests about Sigma 362s or Dromor Apollo 12s.

The eternal problem is do I retire now and give up earnings but gain in time or do I wait a little longer before retiring and have less time but more money?