Unbraked Trailer and boat weighs 830kg not 750kg. 80kg to heavy.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
You both only quote my comments on the quattro brkes and twist it to imply that I was suggesting it will be fine to tow 850 kg on an unbraked tariler.

Well, what were you trying to say? I read it as "An Audi Quattro has good enough brakes to stop an extra 850kg" which is true as long as (a) that 850kg is in the right place (my point) and (b) the braking force required for the trailer is along the direction of travel (Floyd Raser's point). When these conditions are not met, it doesn't matter whether you have an Audi Quattro or a Ford Prefect: brake hard and you are in dead trouble.

Go back and read what i said abot brakes being seesntial

To make it easier for your standards of literacy I have deleted the comment about the quarrtro

You are quite right - literacy is very important. As are seesntial brakes on a quarrtro pulling a tariler. I'd hate to drive without seesntial brakes. The un-seesntial sort are just so passé.

Last edited:
Visit site
You both only quote my comments on the quattro brkes and twist it to imply that I was suggesting it will be fine to tow 850 kg on an unbraked tariler.

what are your day jobs? politicians ot gutter press journalists.?

Go back and read what i said abot brakes being seesntial

To make it easier for your standards of literacy I have deleted the comment about the quarrtro

Calm down.

I didn't twist anything, I interpreted what I read and stand by it.

I contributed to this dscussion to highlight safety when towing. I hope it provokes thought on the subject and steers people to search for further information.

bremar

Visit site
I appreciate all your replies.
If I could have towed it as an unbroken trailer I would have. I just want to how sailing. However I can't so I'm going to buy a another one. Now I have to become a trailer expert, which I am not. I found this one on eBay but there is little info on the advert and the seller hasn't responded to my messages yet.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281667203789
It's a fletcher braked trailer that had a 17 ft boat on it. Would anyone know if it is likely to be about right for my 18ft sailing boat? . I'd quite like to put everything back in the boat too, including carrying the engine so it would probably increase the boats weight to about 1000kg.
Thanks again.
Bremar

Kelpie

Visit site
Would it be daft to consider buying a car transporter trailer, then use your existing trailer on top as a launching trolley? Potentially cheap (someone was selling a car trailer near me for £350 recently), the only mod might be the addition of a winch if the car trailer doesn't already have one. No need to alter hull supports etc as in the case of a new boat trailer. No dunked brakes or bearings. The main downside I would see is the bulk of the thing, if you are short of space.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I recently had to get a trailer for my bilge keeler. I bought an old dog of a thing off eBay but soon realise that it would need a lot of effort to modify to suit my boat so back on eBay with it and bought a new one from SBS. I'm glad I did.
The one you are considering is much better than the one I got but will still need modding. You should be able to transfer the boat supports from your existing one.

bremar

Visit site
In my hunt for trailer on eBay I came across a purpose built trailer with a "dolly" on top. Then in searching google for information came across a video of a chap launching his boat from a very similar style trailer. Katie I think the boat was called? on some videos called Keep turning left. Given there appaears to be many of his videos I guess he is a well known quantity to you guys. I've watch a few of his vids. In my humble nubie opinion they are excellent. Any way back to reality. When this morning I read "ghostlymorons" suggestion to buy a car trailer and put my trailer on that, the decision was made and I bid and bought the following for £371. Located in Southampton but towable so hope to pick it up next week and then after a bit of work on it go sailing. So a big thanks to everyone for your help. Maybe one day I can repay you all with a helpful reply to someone else's post.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131490989137

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 2

Lakesailor

Visit site
It'll probably be ideal with your light boat that sits pretty low on the trailer.
I'd certainly think about some new tyres, and do make sure the sum of the maximum loading for each tyre adds up to more than the rating for the trailer. If the trailer is an older one and not rated per se whichever is the lower of the hitch, suspension or tyres will apply.

You may need to look for 4 or 6 ply tyres to get the loading you need. Although they do look like they are commercial tyres anyway so probably ample, but a bit tired.

Last edited:

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
That looks a good trailer.

I'm sure the seller said he has just put new tyres on it, so that them sorted then.

Just one little tip. When you are arranging the supports on the dolly to support your boat, don't put any immediately under your keel. Then you should be able to lower the keel with the boat on the trailer and it should go down the gap between the two main trailer members (like mine does) to allow you to clean, maintain, and anti foul the lifting keel.

It's Dylan Winter of Keep Turning left, well known on this forum that has a very similar trailer for his boat Katie L

bremar

Visit site
Thank you lakesailor and prodave. The owner did put new tyres on to help sell the trailer ,so it can be towed. Thanks for the advise re the drop down keel. Dylan Winter. Yes I've read some of his posts but never looked at the vids. Which I now propose to do as simple sailing round the coast is just my bag. ( I know the boat I've got is a racing cruiser but ravings prob not for me). Oh I'd better contribute to mr Winters coffers particularly as I owe a lot to this forum it has been a huge help both in the boats prep and this problem with the trailer.
Bremar.

Cloven

Visit site
In my hunt for trailer on eBay I came across a purpose built trailer with a "dolly" on top. Then in searching google for information came across a video of a chap launching his boat from a very similar style trailer. Katie I think the boat was called? on some videos called Keep turning left. Given there appaears to be many of his videos I guess he is a well known quantity to you guys. I've watch a few of his vids. In my humble nubie opinion they are excellent. Any way back to reality. When this morning I read "ghostlymorons" suggestion to buy a car trailer and put my trailer on that, the decision was made and I bid and bought the following for £371. Located in Southampton but towable so hope to pick it up next week and then after a bit of work on it go sailing. So a big thanks to everyone for your help. Maybe one day I can repay you all with a helpful reply to someone else's post.

Exactly like the trailer that came with my first real boat (as opposed to dinghies) , a Hunter Medina. Mine had two removable vertical poles so it was easier to line up the boat when floating it onto the trailer. It also came with wire on the winch but I replaced that with a webbing strap after hearing horror stories of what can happen if the wire breaks.

It was easy enough to load/unload the dolly when on flat ground like a drive but loading was not at all easy on anything other than a very smooth, very gently sloping slipway. The place I kept the boat had a tractor for launching & recovery and I was happy for them to use that rather than rely on the winch

In the winter I used to make a platform out of bricks and builders planks to run the boat off the trailer. This allowed much easier access to the underside of the boat and the drop keel could be partly lowered for maintenance. Also allowed the trailer to be serviced. I had mine sandblasted and repainted one winter but it was also much easier to service the brakes & hubs without the boat on the trailer.

Good luck

Croak

www.yotblog.com
It happened to my cousin who was towing a car on a trailer. The trailer was appropriate but his licence was only for 750kg unbraked and he was done for not having the licence, then the insurance company said he had not been honest about use and withdrew it and he got done for that too. Six month ban due to previous points.

Another much quoted myth.

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
Not just the South Coast but the M25 in spring (catching the first timers after winter).

The other thing they are keen on are "breakaway cables", these must be connected up. This is what drew their attention to a friends boat and trailer and a consequent diversion to the weighbridge. They gave him a lecture on the breakaway cable (but no ticket) and also quizzed him on who owned the boat and where was he going with it (they were looking for commercial towing under the guise of leisure towing - boat traders beware as if you are delivering a sales boat then you are commercial towing and need to follow commercial guidelines such as break periods and tachographs)

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I don't think it was me that recommended a car trailer.

halcyon

Visit site
Not just the South Coast but the M25 in spring (catching the first timers after winter).

The other thing they are keen on are "breakaway cables", these must be connected up. This is what drew their attention to a friends boat and trailer and a consequent diversion to the weighbridge. They gave him a lecture on the breakaway cable (but no ticket) and also quizzed him on who owned the boat and where was he going with it (they were looking for commercial towing under the guise of leisure towing - boat traders beware as if you are delivering a sales boat then you are commercial towing and need to follow commercial guidelines such as break periods and tachographs)

Break-a-way cables don't always work. Back in the late 60's I had to go to Strensham M5 to look at a Lew Way 6 ton gross boat trailer loaded. The trailer broke away crossed the centre reservation ( no barriers then ) and travelled south along the north bound carriage way.

Looking at the trailer no coupling, but still attached to Landie was coupling with handbrake and break-a-way cable still connected.

Brian