UKHO / RYA plotter

Birdseye

Visit site
Anyone use this new plotter?

Have just got a copy, and am most impressed. For once, they have used common sense and resisted the temptation to overcomplicate. So it doesnt have the largely unnecessary bells and whistles of others I have tried. The graphics are excellent, the coverage in one pack isnt bad at all, and I like the idea of buying a new one each year and having charts that are reasonably up to date.

Two minusses. I dont like the indicated annual charge. Its too much if you sail over a reasonable area. And the package should include a proper treatment of tides and water depth.

Anybody else tried one?

<hr width=100% size=1>this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Moose

Visit site
Can it control an autopilot through the NMEA connection?

<hr width=100% size=1>
moosewalk.gif

Birdseye

Visit site
No. It really is a very simple easy to use but stripped down plotter. Navigation only, with just a gps input and no tides. In other words, it replaces the chart work, but you still have to do everything else in the normal way.

Next step up from a Yeoman really.

<hr width=100% size=1>this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

discovery2

Visit site
Having just looked at the RYA site, I cannot find what hardware (other then the computer spec) is required to connect the GPS to the computer. What type of lead/connections are required? Where can they be purchased from?

Living in Jersey, the chart for my area may be of limited use, as I frequently travel to St Malo (which is not included), but who knows, it may be included in future years.

David

<hr width=100% size=1>

quaelgeist2

Visit site
The annual charge did not scare me off. After all, the price is reasonable compared with alternative options.

Main issue for me is the necessary permanent CD ROM use. Or put differently: You do not install rthe charts and run (power-efficient) from RAM and hard drive, but leave the charts on the CD ROM from where they are directly loaded as needed.

In configurations like mine, wqith an external (power hungry) CD drive, this is not a good idea. Will probably send back - was not mentioned anywhere on RYA or Admiralty website information. (called them, there is no way around it -> it is one of the key principles of their product)

cheers
chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidGrieves

www.wsandba.co.uk
Hi

What is the annual charge?

I looked at the UKHO website and the I think it would be useful to me. I would need folio 10. The way I read it, is the programe costs £40, would this include all the charts in folio 10 or would I have to pay to unlock each chart I needed?

Dave

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
That's a big negative that's just put me off, I'm not keen on anything that runs off CD, and I haven't seen mentioned before

<hr width=100% size=1>Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

steverow

Visit site
Nah..dont be silly. Nothing with RYA on does what you might expect of it!!

I bought one with pack 8 for South Wales etc. a couple of months ago out of curiosity. I suppose for 40 quid its allright, but only if youve not used a plotter before or if you cant be weaned off admiralty chart presentation. I just use it as a back up...but I'm sticking to me C-map on PC thank you very much. Runs me autopilot, takes MARPA and everything else in sight.
And basically its the old vector vs raster issue.
No contest, vector all the time. Anything else is pants.

Steve.

P.S. just read the MBY Leader...yes..well..nuff said.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Good idea but ...

there are other possibilities ....... Seaclear is freeware and very good with connection to Auto-pilot etc. ...... it accepts BSB / KAP files as well as scans etc.

Other packages such as Ozi-Explorer and of course Win GPS .....

The money spent on HO / RYA package can give you charts from various sources usable in Seaclear etc.

I don't knock the provision of the HO / RYA system - but am a little dubious about its links into the RYA Certificate schemes .... is the case that to do theory - you need to invest in the HO / RYA package ----- then that is unfair tactics and against free-market .......

Anyone out there know the real story on this ???? Maybe I am wrong and I shall apologise if so ....

<hr width=100% size=1>Nigel ... and of course Yahoo groups :
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gps-navigator/

G

Ghost CD drive ...

It is possible to ISO a CD and then run it from a ghost ISO drive on the hard disk ..... this cheats the PC and CD to run. Nero and EasyCD all have this facility and its the answer to remove power hungry / swappable drives etc.

bumblefish

Visit site
Re: Ghost CD drive ...

Have you done this because I thought it would be a good idea to have a virtual CD on the hard drive but have not yet tried it?

<hr width=100% size=1>...If you can find the simple solution to a complex problem, you've got it wrong!.........

G

Re: Ghost CD drive ...

Have done it many times on ISO images of CD's ..... but not on the UKHO / RYA Chart disc ..... but there is no reason why it should not work.

You would use Nero or EasyCD to create an ISO image of the whole CD and then start the virtual drive ..... use that to 'see' the ISO image. You could then run the ISO Image as the original - but this time a) faster as its on a Hard Drive, b) does not need a plug-in CD drive ........

BUT you must remember to load the drive and image each time you start PC .....

FULL instructions for Iso Image drives is contained in the CD Writer programs ....... such as Nero and Easy CD

G

Better ....

But there ae more than 2 on the market and I hope that the teaching will be general enough to not push people to 'RYA' systems only ......

There are excellent professional based systems available to yotties as well as cut-down systems and freeware. To have 2 packages highlighted by the RYA - despite comments by various - they do carry weight with course attendees - a sensitive positiion to command and it takes a good teacher to not have pupils misguided ......

nordic

Visit site
The UKHO/RYA Chart Plotter is great value for money if you do not have a chart plotter and wish to get to know the basics of how to use one. This is the raison d'etre of the product as it will be used in modified form by the RYA in their courses in recognition of the fact that a lot of boat owners will want to use one.

The value for money is good, as in answer to your question all charts in a CD pack are available. The price this year is not £40 but approx £36 as it is not a full year. The CDs are date dependent and a complete new CD is purchased (for each area required) next year for £40 for updated charts for a full year's access.

Count up how much for all the paper charts in a pack and for planning at home it is well worth the money.

No experience on board connected to a GPS as I cannot run a PC on board, but the connections are whatever it takes to get your GPS to speak to your laptop. Full details of ready made leads or connections for home-made leads are usually with your GPS manual - I have no problem getting my Magellan 315 to speak to my Psion 5mx with "Navigate" software.

Having said all that, for a small boat I would go for an integrated chart plotter using C charts or Navionics Gold, if I could afford one!

<hr width=100% size=1>