Ugly or what?

Is this the dream boat that you would hire?

• Yes, beautiful.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • No, Ugly

Votes: 32 49.2%
  • As long as it sails I don't care

Votes: 19 29.2%

• Total voters

Concerto

Visit site
Funnily enough most modern car breakdowns are due to the electronic management sytem or a fault in it. The more complex the car is now, the more likely it will have issues with the electrical system.Yes cars still get puncture, but many no longer carry a spare wheel. Some cars get a blocked catalytic converter that cause them to stop. The engine actually not working is very rare indeed.

I can say I am very happy with my 40 year old Westerly Fulmar. It sails extremely well. I like the layout and am old enough to have used many boats without many of the floating caravan essential items like running hot and cold water, a shower, a fridge, a music system, a television, heating and/or air con, sprayhood. Over the past 6 years I have spent a small fortune on renovating Concerto to a very high standard. It has involved a lot of man hours as well, but compared to to the depreciation I would have suffered compared to what it has cost me. I would have expected a depreciation of about £30,000 on a new boat by now and I will probably only lose about £10,000 if I sold today. This is in direct proportion to what is invested, as Concerto will have cost only a third of the new boat. The other factor is she has become a classic design and in the excellent condition she is now in, very likely to sell quickly for a very good price. The Fulmar is definitely one of the best looking designs that Westerly made.

Returning to the modern design of yachts. The upright stem bow to minimise marina charges is ugly, as for the reverse Dreadnaught bow a very ugly current fashion. To use an anchor means a mini bowsprit has to be added to stop the anchor bashing the bow and negates the snub bow. I dislike hull windows, but with high freeboard for increased headroom you would never be able to see out otherwise, I think they are an extra potential leak point. Wide cockpits are great for lounging about in harbour or at anchor, but they are dangerous in rough weather as there is limited room for bracing (if these boats ever go out in rough conditions). Adding chines to the hull is again a fashion thing, and does not make the hull faster but more likely to be slower than a rounded hull. The cut away forefoot does mean it is much more likely to slam, which slows the boat down. Wide beam gives more internal volume and increases form stability of the hull, which has the allowed the designer to reduce the ballast ratio. Using deeper keels with a bulb again allowed allowed the weight of the keel to be reduced, saving the builder money, but also makes access to shallower harbours more difficult and forward pointed keel bulbs can hook weed. The modern foam cored hull reinforced is having to be strengthened with an egg box internal structure for slotting bulkheads and furniture makes construction very easy for the builder, but problems with delamination of the foam core or the bond with the egg box structure is very possible if the boat runs aground, meaning the boat should be lifted to check for any damage. If damage is found but repairs are very difficult and expensive but could cause the boat to be scrapped if considered an uneconomic repair by insurerers.

Luckily for me my wife suffers badly from motion sickness and does not know or worry about what Concerto has cost to improve or keep. :) :) :) My priorities from a boat are very different from many other people, thank goodness we are all different. Many of the extras that modern boats have have either been fitted to Concerto or could be fitted if I wanted. The main difference is I still think many of the modern boats look ugly.

Skylark

Visit site
...........I still think many of the modern boats look ugly.

I think that you've taken the bait (y)

Fishing%20icon.JPG

fredrussell

Visit site
The thing that always amazes me about Fulmars is how did Westerly make a boat that big without an aft cabin? I walk past one every time I go to my boat. It looks vast to me for a 32 footer. Fulmar was going to be my next boat until I got close to one and spotted all that wood on deck and cockpit. I hate maintaining wood - no place for it on any boat of mine (except for the tiller). I’d agree it’s one of the most attractive of the Westerlies, but Storm and Typhoon pip it at the post I reckon.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
If money could buy us time, rather than a boat which tries to replicate
our homes, I'm sure most of us would go for time to go sailing no matter what it was.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
If money could buy us time, rather than a boat which tries to replicate
our homes, I'm sure most of us would go for time to go sailing no matter what it was.
In my case, no. I have absolutely no desire to go sailing in a modern boat, though I can see why people like them. Sailing for me is about much more than being in the water - I want to be in the water on something I like.

SaltyC

Visit site
In my case, no. I have absolutely no desire to go sailing in a modern boat, though I can see why people like them. Sailing for me is about much more than being in the water - I want to be in the water on something I like.
I agree with Jumble Duck. It may be an age thing - ie when you started sailing and in what boat, starting in the 60's on a chartered a Hurley 20, then Westerly 22 (As a pre teenager hated it, ugly and sailed faster sideways than forwards), Arden 4 - the first fin keeler WOW! fantastic. Uncle then bought an Elizabethen 31, solid, heavy, Long Keeler and lovely sea boat. All small interiors by modern standards. Fast forward 20 years and I want to get back into cruisers, in London for last Earls Court, looked at the Bavaria 32, absolutely Huge down below, pressurised H & C water, heating etc what a revelation. Now hooked we chartered an Elan33, spacious, fast but slammed badly in a sea.
I appreciate the qualities of the newer boats, the space, the performance the relative price. However I personally do not like the slamming and light weight fit out and 'bobbing around' or the aesthetics.
I prefer something that I like aesthetically with the Row Away Factor, but each to their own tastes. If everyone chose the same it would be boring, as I do not charter masses of bunks matters not, we sail as a couple sometimes with another couple so a ballroom in the cabin is unnecessary. Ultimate speed is not important but a good passage time in comfort is.

tyce

Visit site
Well I have sailed Fulmars, owned Moodys etc but im afraid my plumb bowed, fat butt of a modern Beneteau sails far better than the lot of them. And in my opinion looks a lot better than a dusty old Fulmar.
Each to their own......

Frogmogman

Visit site
Each to their own......

This is, of course, the rub; à chacun son goût.

The 1972 S&S Swan 43 on which I am fortunate enough to race is achingly beautiful to look at; dare I say, even more so than the Nicholson 43 which Kingfisher 5 dangled in front of us........ but it is just not a boat that I would want to own (indeed, I've manfully resisted being dragged into the syndicate which owns it for a number of years).

Cramped inside, ill suited to short handed sailing, slow in light airs, expensive to maintain. Despite the glorious aesthetics, it's just not for me.

kof

Visit site
Hmm . re the video he doesn't believe the new Amel 50 or 60 are decent cruising boats and wouldn't cross and ocean in them. Sometimes our choice in boats cloud our judgement of others.

It's horses for courses. I can't provide figures, but my impression is that most boats sail from marina to marina, rarely overnighting or being out in bad weather. A big comfy shower and lots of bedrooms are more important than storage and hand holds. I've no doubt that my late friend's Dufour 385 would do the ARC quite safely, but it wouldn't be my first choice by any means.

Here's an interesting discussion on the subject

Now that's a boat to cross oceans with, and row-away factor by the bucketfull! Probably not my first choice to squeeze into an awkward marina berth with an unhelpful tide, nor to try and get line honours on the RTI, but Yummm!

ryanroberts

Visit site
Hmm . re the video he doesn't believe the new Amel 50 or 60 are decent cruising boats and wouldn't cross and ocean in them. Sometimes our choice in boats cloud our judgement of others.

I would sacrifice at least one testicle for an HC in that condition and the time to varnish her however

Tomahawk

Visit site
The French know how to design new boats that take advantage of new materials..
The UK market is dominated by designs that hark forward to a new equivalent of a MK2 Cortina.

kof

Visit site
Not me. Wouldn't touch one. I prefer to spend the time cruising and enjoying the life , instead of being a slave to a wooden boat.

Life's too short.

I would sacrifice at least one testicle for an HC in that condition and the time to varnish her however

doug748

Visit site
The thing that always amazes me about Fulmars is how did Westerly make a boat that big without an aft cabin? I walk past one every time I go to my boat. It looks vast to me for a 32 footer. Fulmar was going to be my next boat until I got close to one and spotted all that wood on deck and cockpit. I hate maintaining wood - no place for it on any boat of mine (except for the tiller). I’d agree it’s one of the most attractive of the Westerlies, but Storm and Typhoon pip it at the post I reckon.

They did offer an aft cabin on the Fulmar but they dropped it due to lack of sales. Problem with aft cabins on small boats is it generally takes away from the galley often means no chart table and, worst of all a very pokey bench saloon. Sometimes even the dreaded linear galley.

Rappey

Visit site
Whilst I prefer the build quality of some not so new boats would it be fair to say the new boats handle more dingy like so have that fun element ?
Some of these 42ft boats are claimed to be doing speeds in light winds faster than I could ever go !