TS Royalist - final passage

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Ever seen the Cancalaise?

French, eh? Well, it's OK for them, I suppose, but I expect rather higher standards here.

Seriously, she doesn't look too bad, and neither does the Reaper. It's the combination of square sails and masts all over the place which looks horrible to me.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
I'm sure she'll look better once rigged and fitted out. My surprise was mostly at the small size - was Royalist that small or have they decided to downsize?

Pete
She's marginally bigger than Royalist. Neither boat is/was particularly large.... the design is a compromise no doubt, to maximise her potential as a sail trainer for youngsters, rather than to maximise her potential to deliver goods or mail quickly!

dombuckley

Visit site
Looking rather more like a ship now, though the ruler-straight white stripe and the cockeyed "gunports" still offend the eye somewhat.

royalist2_2.jpg

dombuckley

Visit site
The final chapter.

Just found out that the original Royalist was scrapped at the Van Heyghen yard in Ghent in January. She arrived under her own power, sails still bent on and neatly stowed. According to a witness, "Royalist was proud and trim to the end. She looked as if she were on a routine mid-cruise call, not the end of the line. She looked no different than she did when I sailed on her in her early years."

A sad end: sounds like an old, loyal dog who had no idea she was being taken to the vets...

But the new ship is being commissioned in London today.

showphoto.aspx

Still think that's the worst line of "gunports" I've ever seen!

dancrane

Visit site
Definitely not as pretty a ship...but let's allow her sailing characteristics to be her judge. If she's roomier, safer, closer-winded and faster, doubtless she'll be loved just as much by those who sail on her.

D

Deleted member 36384

...... But the new ship is being commissioned in London today.

showphoto.aspx

If this is the new ship, then I think she is fine looking at least from this angle. It is fantastic that a replacement ship is now in service.

Visit site
It's an important consideration, otherwise why bother with square rig at all, but if that was the sole reason then logically we'd only send up voyage crew to do it. Whereas on several occasions as a Deckhand (volunteer crew position, on day-work rather than watches) I've been roused out of bed to go and stow a topsail when the OOW decided it was too hairy for mere trainees. I admit I'm somewhat proud of being able to say I've stowed one side of an upper topsail on my own in a Force 9 hailstorm at 2am in the North Atlantic :)

Note that a sea-stow is different to a harbour-stow (which I assume is the same as your "full stow"). Rather than neatly folding the whole sail and rolling it up onto the yard in one movement, we would start at the mast and move outward doing one gasket at a time, bundling the sail roughly into its double-thickness covering part and then moving onto the next. At the yard-arm do the clew gasket, then come back inboard tidying up the sail and re-doing each gasket a bit tighter. Strictly speaking we were only expected to lash it to the yard any old how, but as a matter of pride I would always try to get it properly on top of the yard and looking as much like a harbour stow as possible. Typically we'd do it with two people per side, but I've done it on my own more than once, when the only people allowed aloft were the three deckhands and the duty watch leader and we had to get both upper topsails in at once. You feel on top of the world when you come down :)

Pete

I salute you sir...as a boy sailor I used to tremble at the thought of climbing Ganges mast up to the half moon, and that was in daylight on dry land, in good weather.

dombuckley

Visit site
Why is she flying the Red Ensign?? She should be flying a defaced blue...

Jon
She was on passage to London, where she was commissioned today (by Princess Anne, who launched the original Royalist 44 years ago). She will now wear the defaced blue ensign of the SCC.

Seajet

Visit site
PRV Pete,

my salute to you and your coleagues.

I was once given a lift on the old, original Royalist - it was still blowing 6-7 as she thundered into Portsmouth under topsails & jib, heeled well over; I shall never forget the feeling of imense power thrumming through her whole structure - Colin Mudie certainly got it right !

Coxswain

Visit site
She is a Lovely looking Ship, the accommodation is fantastic and She reaches at least 12 knots under power and will do 12 under sail also.

Coxswain

Visit site
She always flies a defaced blue ensign (SCC ensign) Regardless of who is in command, except when doing adult charters.

The reason she is flying a red here however is that she was not commissioned when this photo was taken.

Last edited:

Alex Engines

Visit site
I was on her final voyage, and you've just described perfectly how it felt. So much pride sailing her but leaving her behind felt awful.

Alex Engines

Visit site
The final chapter.

Just found out that the original Royalist was scrapped at the Van Heyghen yard in Ghent in January. She arrived under her own power, sails still bent on and neatly stowed. According to a witness, "Royalist was proud and trim to the end. She looked as if she were on a routine mid-cruise call, not the end of the line. She looked no different than she did when I sailed on her in her early years."

A sad end: sounds like an old, loyal dog who had no idea she was being taken to the vets...

That's exactly how it felt on that trip.

showphoto.aspx

Why is she flying the Red Ensign?? She should be flying a defaced blue...

Jon

She received her blue defaced on her commissioning