Trip up & down the Thames. Advise - help needed please.

Jetblack57

Visit site
Considering a trip up & down the Thames say for 5 or 6 days, with a launch at the start then a recover at the end at Gillingham marina, on launching round into the Thames in a 7.5mtr motor boat, say up as far as Putney - Richmond then back , looking to do this over 5 - 6 days & in no rush, mooring up anywhere when possible overnight when not at a marina. Can anybody point me in the right direction regarding this little jolly please & what I need to do etc. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Last edited:

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I've not been down that far. Oldgit knows about this trip.

The pool of London is very busy and rough but once through Westminster it is much calmer.
People usually stop at St Kats I believe as Limehouse and South dock marinas have apparently both stopped doing visitor moorings.

What sort of boat is it?

oldgit

Visit site
What sort of boat is it?
A very good question?
It will certainly help with the answer.
The stability and speed or (lack of ) could decide the feasibility of your adventure.
Weather will be your other little area of interest.You will need to allow a full day each way from Medway to Thames.

PeterBoater

Visit site
I've not been down that far. Oldgit knows about this trip.

The pool of London is very busy and rough but once through Westminster it is much calmer.
People usually stop at St Kats I believe as Limehouse and South dock marinas have apparently both stopped doing visitor moorings.

What sort of boat is it?
I'm not sure that South Dock can be ruled out yet. They have planning permission to change to all residential but their website still quotes visitor rates and I know they are still accepting visitors. There are also Hermitage Community Mooring (can only take two or three visitors at the end of one pontoon and it's extremely bouncy from passing vessels, but has shower, loo etc), and Imperial Wharf (expensive and no facilities). Further downstream there are visitor buoys at Greenwich YC (and possibly pontoon), Erith YC, Thurrock YC and PLA Gravesend. Gravesend YC did have a visitor's buoy but I'm not sure it's still available.

Last edited:

Jetblack57

Visit site
Boat is a quicksilver 700 fitted with a 150hp to engine, so plenty of power, which I intend to have delivered to Gillingham marina on a lorry & after the trip have lifted back on for the trip back to the south coast, this trip is always something I’ve wanted to do but is it more of a problem than it’s worth…?

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
London VTS will monitor your progress and slow you down to 12 knots above Margaretness. This is near London City Airport/Barking creek.

They will enforce this speed limit so don't assume you can fly through London at 25 knots. You can't do this so be careful with the calculations.

Jetblack57

Visit site
Not in no rush. Was contemplating Gillingham to Putney & back over 3 to 5 days pending how it goes, runup & down with the tide probably 6nts max & assisted with the engine as required. The boats big enough & has enough power, so see no issues there, booking in marinas & - or tying up alongside barges overnite for a few hours would be great, fuelwise I’ve got 135 Ltr tank so don’t anticipate any fuel problems but it would be nice to know fuel availability if needed or I can take extra 40 Ltrs with us. Thanks for all the replies so far & for any others in advance.

PeterBoater

Visit site
Not in no rush. Was contemplating Gillingham to Putney & back over 3 to 5 days pending how it goes, runup & down with the tide probably 6nts max & assisted with the engine as required. The boats big enough & has enough power, so see no issues there, booking in marinas & - or tying up alongside barges overnite for a few hours would be great, fuelwise I’ve got 135 Ltr tank so don’t anticipate any fuel problems but it would be nice to know fuel availability if needed or I can take extra 40 Ltrs with us. Thanks for all the replies so far & for any others in advance.
Unless you make prior arrangements with Thames Marine Services to meet up with one of the fuel barges in the Pool of London area (one week's notice required), I don't think there are any fuel facilities downstream of Shepperton.

oldgit

Visit site
Up at St Kat's at the moment.👍
Back home in a day or two.
Boat more than capable.

As mentioned fuel a critical factor.
St Kat's ideal stop.
Just ensure enough to get you beyond Teddington.
Hermitage is not suitable for your boat.

Last edited:

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
You could consider getting a 1 week visitor licence for Canal and River Trust waterways then come in at Limehouse, go straight down Limehouse Cut (no locks and bridge heights about 8ft) There is a Tesco with fuel station 2 minutes walk from the canal at Bromley by Bow. About 1 mile from Limehouse marina.

You can also moor against the wall in Limehouse marina for 24 hours with no extra charge if you have the CRT visitor licence.

1 week for a boat of 7m x 2m is £25. Bear in mind that the Limehouse cut is part of the CRT river network so you only need what they call a 'rivers only' licence rather than a full canal licence.

Limehouse lock is operated by Aquavista but it is still part of the Canal and River Trust network so you can go through it if you have a visitor licence. You just need to inform the lock keepers at Limehouse Marina 24 hours in advance with your licence number and boat details and intended passage time. They do have a limited window so worth getting all this done in advance, as usual.

Licence Prices :: Canal & River Trust Licensing

You self declare for the boat standards as a visitor.

You could even plan to moor in Limehouse twice. Cheaper than St Kats but you will be on public wall (free with no services) and they have the Cruising Association which I think does showers etc if needed.

Edit to clarify I mean cheaper because you can use this by getting the visitor licence for the canal rather than a visitor mooring at the marina.

Worth considering I think if you don't need electric hookup. 24h on the wall in the marina itself or up to 14 days round the corner in the refugee camp. Don't leave valuables in sight as there are a lot of tea leaves around there (not residing on the boats, I should add).

Another approach would be to book Bow lock and come up the Bow Creek on the tide this will bring you out onto Lea Navigation where the tesco is, thus avoiding Limehouse Cut.

I'd do it via the cut though. Looks like the 700 is only 7ft air draft so not a problem.

Last edited:

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Also worth trying to get in touch with the lads down at Broadness Harbour. I was down there last year discussing a mooring and one of the blokes said they had permission for a visitor buoy on the outside of the creek. Don't know if it has happened but as you mentioned tying to barges it seems you are happy to use unorthodox methods.

Don't tie to barges though - PLA patrols will turf you off and tug and barge movements are happening all night.

Gravesend. I think they might have a visitor berth there but there was something about it being sold so maybe not available any more.

In your situation I'd definitely consider Limehouse. Not that it is special but it is well located and gets you off the lumpy stuff for the night. That little boat will bob around a bit !

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Reports indicate that Limehouse is no longer accepting visitors, nor is keen to operate the lock.
If you have a CRT visitor licence you can go through the lock*

I believe reports you are hearing refer to people who want to come through the lock and pay for a visitor mooring but not have a CRT (Canal River Trust) visitor licence.

My suggestion is a way of getting around the problem of Limehouse no longer offering visitor moorings.

*I may be wrong but pretty sure the lock is still a CRT owned asset.

On their website they say call the marina so it isn't 100% clear.

From CRT website:

Limehouse Lock​

Limehouse Lock is not available for around two hours either side of low water at London Bridge.

In the summer (1 April to 30 September): the lock is open between 8am to 6pm. It's also possible to use the lock from 5am and to 10pm if it is booked 24 hours in advance.

In the winter (1 October to 31 March): the lock is open between 8am to 4pm. It's also possible to use the lock from 5am and to 10pm if it is booked 24 hours in advance.

To book the lock, you need to call Aquavista, formerly known as BWML in advance on 020 7308 9930.

Last edited:

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Thurrock yacht club have this on their website which may be useful

------------
Boats of up to 38 feet are welcome to moor up on a spare mooring on our outer trot , which is the row of buoys closest to the centre of the channel. The western most mooring is designated for visitors, but if occupied you can pick up any other spare mooring (i.e. without strops) on this row.

DO NOT PICK UP ANY MOORINGS OTHER THAN ON THE OUTER TROT.
---------------

not sure if you have a dink with the boat so may not be possible to get ashore.

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
I am at gillingham marina now, was at EYC before for 11+ years. EYC only allows sailing yachts on the moorings as most moorings are being paid for by the person who usually uses the buoy, there arent any dedicated visitor moorings but passing boats can usually use one not in use at the time but again pretty sure only sailing yachts!

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Erith is sailing boats only ( I asked them) but I was referring to Thurrock yacht club in my post above and I am pretty sure (wants checking) that visiting motor boats are allowed.

ETA apologies to UK WOOZY for misunderstanding.

Last edited:

Jetblack57

Visit site
Thank you all for the advice & comments , this started as something I always wanted to do, but following a bit of research & considering the many comments on here, I’ve decided to give it a miss, mainly as this trip doesn’t look as enjoyable & as relaxing as I envisaged, which is disappointing. But thanks again for all the comments ect, happy boating to all 👍

oldgit

Visit site
Sorry to hear the trip is on hold.
If you are based in Gillingham lots of stuff nearbye.................................
Not sure of your local knowlege....
Turn left and go up the the tidal lock at Allington, you could stay over night in the lock cut by arrangement with the helpful lock staff or carrying on further up as far as Tonbridge, if you have few days to spare.
Merely 7 locks to negociate, all of them hand operated. IF you have Thames registration you get 10 days free on the Medway
Home – Medway Navigation

Turn right for a day out into Stangate Creek or for the more adventurous Sharfleet Creek.
Further down river gets The Swale and Queenbourgh All Tide Landing , another hour would bring you the entrance of Conyer and its drying marina at the top of the Creek.
A quickish boat trip right round the Isle of Sheppey could be pleasant day out , perhaps including the Forts and the SS Montgomery en route.
RCC has cruises planned for the first of the recently invented Bank holidays, the first to Allington and the second round to Ramsgate.
.....and The Maidstone River Festival is also taking place again on July 29th this year .
Sailing Barge March on the 27th of May.
Trips to France and Holland, The Thames and up the East Coast also being discussed.
Want to expand your horizons and cruise in company...?

Rochester Cruising Club | Please feel free to browse and get in touch!
Visitors – Queenborough Harbour Trust
Medway and Swale Boating Association
The Medway, where the boaters have left the mooring and on their way while the rest of the boating world is still under the duvet ?

Last edited: