Travelling from UK to Lefkas with 2 dogs

beormakate

yachtmontyb.blogspot.com
A big hello to everyone! This is my second posting to the forum - my first was way back in Jan when we were at the beginning of our search for an ocean going liveaboard boat. Thanks to everyone who responded as we now have a (soon to be beautiful) Northwind ketch and will be leaving the UK in the middle of August for our new life aboard - hooray, it is actually happening!

My question is not directly liveaboard related but I thought someone may have experience of similar. Our boat is currently in Lefkas. We have to get from the UK to the boat with our stuff and 2 Jack Russells. Originally I was planning to drive but do not want keep the car and apparently it is almost impossible to get rid of it in Greece (though if anyone knows of anyone who wants a bargain Nissan Almera and can drive it back from Lefkas......). The alternative is flying (grrr) - does anyone know of an airline that flies to Preveza that takes dogs? I cannot find one that does. This isn't as mad as it sounds - many airlines do but not the charters it seems.

Any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated. Cheers all.

Katie

ThereAndBack

Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums.

I would guess that the best scheduled route by air is Lufthansa to Athens and then either a local flight to Preveza or a local car hire for the drive to Lefkas.

Lefkas is about 5 hours drive from Athens. You may be lucky and get a one-way car hire.

Good luck and enjoy Lefkada, we did.

Alan

michael_w

Visit site
Why not buy a cheapo Transit van and either sell it, give it away or scrap it when you've finished with it.

Probably work out cheaper than scheduled filghts, airborne kennels, air freight, customs aggro etc, etc.

If worried about breaking down, I'd recommend the AA european cover, good value and the claims service excellent. They recovered my Landy from within 2km of the Belarusse/Polish border, back to London and provided no less than 3 hire cars so I could continue my holiday. All for about £130 of premium.

Davy_S

Visit site
Hello there.
Friends out here have just brought their dog out from the uk, but they did it using the ferry from Venice, although you can go from Ancona or Brindisi, Ferry goes to Patras but stops off at Corfu and Igumetsia. Have to agree about the transit van idea, plus you can bring lots of personal stuff, I did it this way, then gave van away. Brit cars are worth nothing out here! and not worth the hassle of reregistering one. buy a cheapo, bring it, scrap it!

LadyJessie

Visit site
Fully support the "buy van" idea as the best option for you. Flying in a cage is a very stressfuil experience for a dog and getting from the UK to Preveza would involve multiple flights; not very good for your dogs emotional balance.

Do the driving and enjoy the scenery. Plus how would you otherwise get your stuff aboard? I drove to my boat with an estate car last year. This was only a top-up as I have been a liveaboard for many years but I still managed to fill this car up so that I would not have been able to add a newspaper after I was finished packing.

Metabarca

Visit site
Just to add to the Venice to Greece idea: sailings are all but daily via Anek or Minoan lines, and their are kennels on the upper deck for dogs. Journey time about 30 hours.

ElCava

Visit site
Hi Katie,

I too have a NorthWind 40 Ketch, are you still an owner, I am setting up a owners group as info is a bit sparse. Best Charlie

grumpygit

Visit site
Just to add to the Venice to Greece idea: sailings are all but daily via Anek or Minoan lines, and their are kennels on the upper deck for dogs. Journey time about 30 hours.

Just a bit of extra info, Minoan have cabins that they allow dogs into, and of course at an extra charge but even so it does alleviate any stress for the dog(s) of being left in the kennels.