Transfer of radio licence

eddystone

Visit site
Just in the process of buying a "new" (old) boat. The number I have for the Radio Licencing Centre is "not recognised" Is there a form that transfers ownership of fixed ships radio with change of boat owner but keeps existing MMSI number?
I think I will convert my existing portable VHF licence to one that can be used on any vessel.

prv

Visit site
Yes - when you apply for a new license there is a space to put in the existing MMSI programmed into the radio, so that it doesn't need to change.

These days radio licenses are managed online on the Ofcom site. They're free and last forever, provided you confirm every ten years that the details are still correct (any change resets the timer, so you may not even need to do that).

I think you can still do it on paper, but in that case they charge a fee to cover the costs of needing to involve human beings.

Pete

VicS

Visit site
Just in the process of buying a "new" (old) boat. The number I have for the Radio Licencing Centre is "not recognised" Is there a form that transfers ownership of fixed ships radio with change of boat owner but keeps existing MMSI number?
I think I will convert my existing portable VHF licence to one that can be used on any vessel.

Pretty much summed up by the previous posts.

Re your hand held VHF .

It may be best to simply apply for a Ship Portable Radio Licence in addition to the existing Ship Radio Licence. You personally can then use a portable radio on any vessel that does not have a Ship Radio licence.

The reason for keeping the Ship Radio licence is that the Ship Portable Radio licence is only valid in UK waters ...... ITYWF.

I have both but things have changed a little since I applied for my licences so read up on it to get the latest on the Ofcom website

If you have any problems ring them on the number you'll find on the website. Generally people report how helpful they are on the phone

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
It may be best to simply apply for a Ship Portable Radio Licence in addition to the existing Ship Radio Licence. You personally can then use a portable radio on any vessel that does not have a Ship Radio licence.

The reason for keeping the Ship Radio licence is that the Ship Portable Radio licence is only valid in UK waters ...... ITYWF.

Indeed. I don't think there's anything preventing the same handheld radio being both included on a Ship Station license and covered by its own Ship Portable license as well. That's what I have, so the radio is covered both for use abroad on my boat, and also when I take it with me on my mate's small speedboat which doesn't have any radio of its own.

Pete

dhobyb

Kirriemuir (Scotland) Boat at Shamrock Quay.
Visit site
AS I understand it, the license is allocated to the ship, not the individual, so not transferrable, if your new boat has an existing licence you just take that over, if not apply for a new one, not sure but if you change the name of your new boat, you can reapply for a licence for it and get new callsign and mmsi.

VicS

Visit site
AS I understand it, the license is allocated to the ship, not the individual, so not transferrable, if your new boat has an existing licence you just take that over, if not apply for a new one, not sure but if you change the name of your new boat, you can reapply for a licence for it and get new callsign and mmsi.

You dont "take over" an existing licence . They are not transferable between owners or boats. You have to apply for a new licence but you are asked to enter the vessel's callsign and MMSI number on the application.

prv

Visit site
AS I understand it, the license is allocated to the ship, not the individual, so not transferrable, if your new boat has an existing licence you just take that over, if not apply for a new one

Not quite - the callsign and MMSI belong to the boat, but the license (a license being official permission to do something) is granted to you. You can't grant a license to an inanimate object, only to a person (which may be a "legal person", eg a company) to do something with the object.

So you need to apply for a new license to use the radio station already installed on the boat, but you provide the existing identifying details for that station.

Pete

VicS

Visit site
Not quite - the callsign and MMSI belong to the boat, but the license (a license being official permission to do something) is granted to you. You can't grant a license to an inanimate object, only to a person (which may be a "legal person", eg a company) to do something with the object.

So you need to apply for a new license to use the radio station already installed on the boat, but you provide the existing identifying details for that station.

Pete

A licence ...... noun

To license ......verb

Same as advice (noun) and advise (verb) which are easy to remember 'cos you pronounce them differently

same applies to practice and practise.

At least in proper English if not in the corrupted version used in the USA

:D

Sepharad

Visit site
Never as simple as you might believe.

-Ofcom can and will reassign MMSI and Ship Radio Licenses and call signs.

-OF168a, 5.2 explains "the call sign and associated MMSI will remain with the ship for the duration of its life, regardless of changes of ownership or ship name." Read the BUT below.

-BUT.
I love how there is always a but., under 5.3 "(where a valid ship license is not maintained)" they may assign it to a new ship.

-When you buy a vessel you must actively pursue the transfer to you because while the number remains associated with the ship, 5.4 states: "you must establish from the previous owner, the call sign and MMSI" and"You must notify us of these details when you apply for your Ship Radio License".

Finally 5.5: "Unless the MMSI has been reassigned (as described in 5.3, above) we shall assign the old call sign and MMSI under your new Ship Radio License. "

So you must pursue the MMSI and SRL, they wont just automatically give it to you and if you wait too long, it may be reassigned.

ashtead

Visit site
Just as an aside you seem to end up with a different MMSI on the vessel reaymarine type vhf to the handheld dsc . I don’t know why but I have 2 mmsi and just enter the ship ones on forms etc.

Giblets

Visit site
Just as an aside you seem to end up with a different MMSI on the vessel reaymarine type vhf to the handheld dsc . I don’t know why but I have 2 mmsi and just enter the ship ones on forms etc.
I don't think you will get the same MMSI on the fixed and h/h sets as they are two different individual beasts. For example you could take the h/h with you when out and about on a friend's boat which bears no resemblance to your boat. If you were to then use the dsc h/h to send a distress message the rescue services could end up looking for a completely different vessel to that in need of assistance.

ashtead

Visit site
Thanks Giblets -it slightly surprised they were not linked but as you say you can use the SH handheld anywhere so I can see logic. I probably would be more likely to use in the dinghy although I do keep in cockpit when sailing as my first instinct is to use the ships vhf