Trader 42 Anyone

ashtead

Visit site
If the video of the Trader which appeared on this forum a few years ago is any indication not very well but they did reach Norfolk from the West Country . Looks to me they perform best in the marina as opposed to any seas let alone heavy ones.

MrB

Visit site
They roll heavily apparently and need stabilizers. The owner of the above boat bailed on the trip after a panic attack and left it to some ex-navy lads and a few of them were rendered ill. He was warned (the owner) it needed to be stabilized but he wouldn't listen. That boat just wanders around the Norfolk Broads now never going out to sea.

ashtead

Visit site
Yes there is a comfortable looking Trader near us at Haslar kept in good condition which seems to just take one trip a year but does look just the sort of boat to have if you like to work from home with a sea view.

RD60

Visit site
They roll heavily apparently and need stabilizers. The owner of the above boat bailed on the trip after a panic attack and left it to some ex-navy lads and a few of them were rendered ill. He was warned (the owner) it needed to be stabilized but he wouldn't listen. That boat just wanders around the Norfolk Broads

Do you know what model that was or is it generic problem?

MrB

Visit site
It was actually a 2002 Trader 535 Sunliner. All details here. (two threads, other linked in first post) Independence | Upadates & Cruising

As I remember also the said above boat had a very large crane and a Williams tender on the FB which didn't help.

Newbroom

Visit site
They roll heavily apparently and need stabilizers. The owner of the above boat bailed on the trip after a panic attack and left it to some ex-navy lads and a few of them were rendered ill. He was warned (the owner) it needed to be stabilized but he wouldn't listen. That boat just wanders around the Norfolk Broads now never going out to sea.

How unfair to condemn a boat on one owners rough trip.
I delivered Traders back in the late 90sand early 00s Took them across the bay of Biscay in varying conditions and seas. Yes like any boat at displacement speeds they roll heavily. So do Ellings.
This was before the days when stabilisers where common.
Traders got bad press when they launched a 70ft Twin Deck and it was tested by MBY it rolled horrendously. It was later fitted with stabilizers that tamed it to the extent it was almost boring. I know I delivered it to Gibraltar for the first owner.
I owned a 575 from new and cruised extensively all over Europe and a bit of North Africa with just myself and my wife. Wet boat but safe and on par with most other boats with a similar hull design.
the 42 would be hard to beat in the accommodation stakes and treated right a capable sea boat.
I used to take 42s from Brest to La Coruna non stop in conditions up to force 5 & 6 as did other experienced delivery skippers.

Solent Sailor

Visit site
At the risk of being really boring - have you thought about a SeaRanger 448/50? A little larger, but excellent value these days. mv Cambe is for sale in Greece at present at the lower end of the price scale (c.£100k) and Bumble II (the last built, and a true gem) is at the opposite end of the scale at £350k.

They are truly excellent sea boats (even without stabs), with great accomodation too. If you are anywhere near the Hamble, you are welcome to come and look at my boat when restrictions lift.

plumbob

Visit site
Is it for sale with NYA at present?? Looks great, best in the marina.

Dino

Visit site
I think the example given of that trip in the 535 Sunliner was a software issue rather than a hardware issue.
Traders always looked like lovely boats but there was a few reports of gelcoat issues here on this forum.
Aquaholic did a video of a Trader 42 recently and it was very impressive

MrB

Visit site
How unfair to condemn a boat on one owners rough trip.
I delivered Traders back in the late 90sand early 00s Took them across the bay of Biscay in varying conditions and seas. Yes like any boat at displacement speeds they roll heavily. So do Ellings.
This was before the days when stabilisers where common.
Traders got bad press when they launched a 70ft Twin Deck and it was tested by MBY it rolled horrendously. It was later fitted with stabilizers that tamed it to the extent it was almost boring. I know I delivered it to Gibraltar for the first owner.
I owned a 575 from new and cruised extensively all over Europe and a bit of North Africa with just myself and my wife. Wet boat but safe and on par with most other boats with a similar hull design.
the 42 would be hard to beat in the accommodation stakes and treated right a capable sea boat.
I used to take 42s from Brest to La Coruna non stop in conditions up to force 5 & 6 as did other experienced delivery skippers.

I was just remembering the comments from a thread. Quite a few people said they needed stabs. This was the thread and there is a link to the first thread in the opening post. Independence | Upadates & Cruising on page 19, post #366 there is a photo of the boat rolling . There are a few videos linked too if I remember. This boat had a large crane and a Williams tender on the FB which didn't help.

RD60

Visit site
I think the example given of that trip in the 535 Sunliner was a software issue rather than a hardware issue.
Traders always looked like lovely boats but there was a few reports of gelcoat issues here on this forum.
Aquaholic did a video of a Trader 42 recently and it was very impressive
It was the the Aquaholic video that got me thinking. It is that model that has my interest.

Dino

Visit site
Very nice boats. That 2007 one that Berthon are selling looks nice. The only two things that bug me about the boat is the galley in the main saloon and the seating on the back deck is very fixed. I prefer a separate galley not in the view of everything.
The upper deck would be great if the front seats could swivel of convert to face aft.
I think I prefer the layout of the Broom 42/425

Hurricane

Visit site
Very nice boats. That 2007 one that Berthon are selling looks nice. The only two things that bug me about the boat is the galley in the main saloon and the seating on the back deck is very fixed. I prefer a separate galley not in the view of everything.
The upper deck would be great if the front seats could swivel of convert to face aft.
I think I prefer the layout of the Broom 42/425
My SWMBO would disagree with you.
She has always insisted on the galley being close to the saloon.
I agree with her (well I would wouldn't I?) - boats like all of ours are homes from home so being able to talk to your guests while you are working in the galley is all part of the social life.
Even getting up to make a cup of coffee for friends, it is nice to be still part of the saloon group.
Putting the galley away below decks does work but we feel more integrated with a galley next to, or included within, the saloon.

Greg2

Visit site
Is it for sale with NYA at present?? Looks great, best in the marina.

Nope, it isn’t the one for sale at NYA.
It is effectively used as a live aboard, which is what was intended if memory serves, but doesn’t move very often as the owner also has a Broads cruiser.

IDAMAY

Winter: Algarve Summer: Wherever the boat is.
Visit site
Right. Here is some actual experience from a former Trader 42 owner (current Trader 54 owner). We ran the 42 from 2010 to 2015 and she gave us splendid service with very few problems and certainly nothing major. We cruised her to South Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, South Brittany and West Scotland amongst others.

We don`t intentionally venture out in really rough weather but, with that amount of cruising, you sometimes get caught in conditions you would normally avoid. At no time did we lack confidence in the 42s ability to cope with rough weather. At displacement speeds she, unsurprisingly, rolled. This could be counteracted by increasing speed and obtaining dynamic stability at the expense of fairly dramatic increase in fuel consumption. The 42 was also pretty wet in a short head sea but the helm condition is very well protected in the aft deck versions.

We changed to the 54 to get some extra space. This boat has been cruised around the Bay of Biscay, down to Porto and back. She is fitted with stabilisers and is cruised almost exclusively at displacement speed. She is rock solid in rough weather and coped admirably with Biscay swells.

If the OP would like to discuss more Trader 42 experiences PM me for a chat.