Tollesbury to Ipswich onSaturday

mcalan

Visit site
Apologies for asking but all my charts and books are on the boat
I need to take my boat from Tollesbury to fox’s In Ipswich on Saturday to have some work done.
The plan would be to leave Tollesbury as early as possible the boat draws 5’4” and HW is at 15:48 so should be able to get out about 2pm. I’m just wondering what time I could be expected at Fox’s as SWMBO has to meet me there to collect me.
I normally take a wide route avoiding Colne Bar but wonder if there would be enough water for me to take a shorter inland passage.

Thanks

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
You'll get there in the evening, but at least there will be plenty of light.
There isn't a great difference going over the bar from Tollesbury but you'll make it easily. I usually cross about halfway from the point, especially to/from Brightlingsea when there is a lot to be gained. Much more of a problem are the pot markers, so-called, especially around the Naze. The depths off the Naze vary quite quickly with a wavy bottom so it is best to leave an extra metre in hand but after that it is pretty flat.

tillergirl

Visit site
My tables are based on passages between Landfall wpts. Blackwater off Sales Point to Harwich Wpt (close to Cliff Foot PHB) would be 21.22nm. Allowing for, say an hour out of Tollesbury to the Blackwater Wpt (i.e. starting from that wpt at 3pm BST) your timing would be:

At 4kts boat speed 4hrs 3 minutes starting at 3pm. An hour later would take 3hrs 43minutes (mathematically the quickest passage). You have a favourable 'window' up to starting at 6pm for 4 hours 1 minute.

At 5kt and 6kt times for the three start times:

5kts: At 3pm 3hrs 26 minutes, at 4pm 3 hrs 16 mins, at 6pm 3hs 31mins
6kts: At 3pm 3hrs exact, at 4pm 2hrs 48 mins, at 6pm 2hrs 59 minutes.

I assume you don't want the values for 3kts, 7 or 8kts? Low water at Harwich on Saturday is 21.08 BST so it won't be desperate to plug up to Foxes.