Toilet trouble!

davelef

Visit site
With many thanks to lescargot (amongst others) I have now identified my toilet as an SL 401 and have instructions for it.
However despite following these instructions I can only get the toilet to empty if I close off the inlet valve - otherwise it appears to let in more water than it sucks out and eventually just fills the bowl up - it also took me 5mins of hard pumping to get rid of my daughters wee this evening!! Any ideas as to how I can solve this gratefully received - I am guessing it may be something to do with the diaphragm?? Thanks in advance.

Birdseye

Visit site
1/ Train daughter to use a bucket
2/ Strip toilet and find out what is causing the valve system not to work. No alternative, but it would be sense to get a service kit first.

Topcat47

Visit site
The trick is to pump it out before you let the flush water in. Then if the level is too high, you pump some out. With my lavac, I need to lift the lid and pump a couple of times to reduce the level after a flush.

Bilgediver

Visit site
SOunds like you need a knew Joker valve..These are common to most toilets and I believe yours is secured in the first joint after the pump however your instructions will show this.

It is a non return valve in the discharge line.

John

davierobb

www.guesthouseprestwickayr.co.uk
Change the toilet before its tooooo late, sl401's are killers, we had one explode 5h1t everwhere and I mean everywhere. If kids are using boat then change for a nice new jabco one. We bought ours from compass24 for slightly more than the sl401 servce kit. Jabsco works a treat and is much easier for the kids to use.

Hardley

Visit site
If you undo the screws holding the inlet connection, I think you might find the wire spring has broken, thus not closing the inlet valve whilst pumping out.

Hardley

Visit site
Sorry to come back again, but my instruction manual is on the boat and I did not realize that you had been sent a copy of manual.
Under heading Inlet valve, Para 5 refers to the spring that I mentioned may be broken or not fitted correctly.
I have had a SL 400 now fow 20 years, still going good and never much

cassiejack

Visit site
Hi, I have just registered hoping that one of you guys can help me out. My first problem is that I can't see how to post a new subject, so I had to jump on this one for now, sorry. We have a Jabsco toilet, I can get the model number later if required. It was working fine, then it wasn't, just my luck. The problem is this; it won't suck up (apologies for the female descriptions) water from the river. Then as you push the lever down to try again, it is like it has hit a vacuum or blockage then the lever kind of flies back up again. We can still use it, but only by filling the toilet first with water from a bottle, then it empties away fine. We're not sure if this has anything to do with the valves that are under the seats, maybe we turned then accidentally, but we don't think so as they are quite tight. We are selling our Seamaster soon and were hoping to get the toilet fixed before so any suggestions would be gratefully received. Many thanks, Kaz.

graham

Visit site
Welcome to the forums. It sounds to me as if either the inlet seacock is closed(smallest diameter pipe ) Or the inlet seacock is blocked.

To start a new thread click on "Post".

Rustyknight

Visit site
The post icon is on the index page of each forum, just to the right of where it says "Yachting and Boating World Forums >> Practical Boat Owner's Reader to Reader " (or whichever forum you're looking at)

Richard10002

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The problem is this; it won't suck up (apologies for the female descriptions) water from the river. Then as you push the lever down to try again, it is like it has hit a vacuum or blockage then the lever kind of flies back up again. We can still use it, but only by filling the toilet first with water from a bottle, then it empties away fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Similar experience with the discharge pipe on our Jabsco. Push the pump, flies back under the pressure. The pressure build up was big enough to invert the joker valve.... did the same with a new one.

I took it apart but nothing untoward in the pump itself. even tried a spare that we had having replace the other pump with a (very noisy) electric conversion. Still didnt work.

Eventually bit the bullet and removed the discharge pipe to find it thick with limescale, and blocked by bits that had broken off.

Replaced pipe, (easier said than done), and it works like new.

So it sounds like a blockage, although I seme to recall that inlets dont clog up with limescale, (but they might)... or it might have sucked something up.

I wold try stripping the pump first as it's the easiest job. In fact, once you have the pump off, you could try flushing water down the inlet pipe, and, if it flies back in your face, you know it's blocked.... this was my final test before replacing the discharge pipe. Or you could disconnect and try flushing the inlet pipe through 1st.

Close the seacock, remove the pipe from the cock, open the cock and see if water comes in... it wont be to fast, but have a wooden bung of the right size handy when you remove the pipe and when you open the cock, just in case the cock has failed.

If water comes in through the cock, you know it's not blocked, or failed closed. You could try flushing the pipe from both ends.

Hope this helps

Richard

cassiejack

Visit site
Thankyou very much for the info. When the toilet stopped working, we had actually broken down due to going through a lovely but very weedy part of the Great Ouse, (it made our engine overheat due to sucking up loads of stuff), so that sounds very probable because my brother used the toilet whist we were stranded. We are going to try and fix it tomorrow, hopefully it will work. Thankyou very much again, your advise is very much appreciated. Kind regards, Kaz.