Tiller Pilot

Geoff A

Visit site
I am in the market for a new tiller pilot. the boat is a Halcyon 27. Like most people I want the best I can get for the least amount of cash spent. I have been looking at Raymarine ST2000. What other makes and deals are out there. I want it as a stand alone item not linked to any thing else. I do not want a second hand one. Thanks for any info.

fredrussell

Visit site
New, your choice is Raymarine St1000 or 2000, or Simrad TP 10 or 22. Both will work well enough but only if sails are balanced. There are other types but they are much more expensive.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I would recommend the ST2000, even if it has a higher weight rating than you need, because it has a faster hard-over time. This results in better tacking and course holding in rough conditions, even on a light boat. The increase in cost is modest and it will last longer.

I've also had a TP 10 and a TP 22.

bergie

lille-oe.de
We have ST4000+ which works fine (complemented by a self-steering windvane for offshore and heavier weather).

However, if I was buying a new autopilot now, I'd probably consider the PCnautic tiller pilot, which is based on open source PyPilot and uses the same tiller arm as the well-reviewed Pelagic does.

Tranona

Visit site
We have ST4000+ which works fine (complemented by a self-steering windvane for offshore and heavier weather).

However, if I was buying a new autopilot now, I'd probably consider the PCnautic tiller pilot, which is based on open source PyPilot and uses the same tiller arm as the well-reviewed Pelagic does.
That is a bit OTT for what the OP says he wants. ST2000 or TP22 would be more than adequate.

Fantasie 19

Visit site
I would recommend the ST2000, even if it has a higher weight rating than you need, because it has a faster hard-over time. This results in better tacking and course holding in rough conditions, even on a light boat. The increase in cost is modest and it will last longer.
Agreed... I have the St1000 and am very happy with it, but would go St2000 next time purely for the reasons described..

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
I use an ST4000 ram on my Co26 and can highly recommend it. It's overkill certainly but it has many advantages over the all-in-one pilots, insofar as it's all metal construction, doesn't suffer any of the water ingress problems, uses less battery because it's not having to work hard and has the option for a wired remote control. Secondhand ones hold their value well, and there's a reason for that.

Geoff A

Visit site
It is pretty much a done deal I will be getting a ST2000.at some point. Having Googled waterproof covers. It comes up you can get water resistant covers for £24.95. Has anyone tried one and is it worth getting one?

ghostlymoron2

Visit site
I inherited a Raytheon ST1000 with my Mirage 28. I thought it was wonderful as I'd no idea that such devices were available. It let me down once just south of The Manacles when we started going round in circles but I put this down to lumpy seas and that it was slightly underpowered for the size and weight of the yacht. I sent it for a check up to Raymarine who couldn't find any fault apart from a couple of dry soldered joints. These they attended to and returned to me for a nominal fee. It was still working when I sold Anemone several years later.
If buying again I would get the Simrad TP2 as they are reported to have better waterproofing.

Refueler

Visit site
I have two AH's ... the AH800 and AH1000 - last of the AH series before all changed to Raytheon ST.

Both are still doing their job well ... I have a wired remote that fits either. I do not cover or protect from elements and they have never failed due to water ingress.
I did buy a Spares or Repair AH1000 as one pot failed a few years ago - pal of mine swapped the pots and all good. He also changed the remote plug / sockets as the old AH ones corroded.
The wired remote had a new cable fitted ...

It all sounds bad - but consider how old they are .. both still working and in terms of service / repairs - total is significantly less than Raytheons Diagnostic fee !! Yes I had a quote from them and was why I approached my pal to see if he could do the job !!

My later addition boat has the old AH2000 .. separate ram and compass controller ... this is powerful and last trip we started to use it ... Old but Gold !!

I was considering going for a later ST+ so I could connect plotter ... but TBH - I'm happy as I am ...

garymalmgren

Visit site
Re Waterproofing your tillerpilot.
Both Simrad and Raymarine are not completely waterproof and water ingress can kill them.

However, I would suggest covering the unit only on rainy or extreme weather.
They get hot and when they cool down they draw in moisture through a breathing/equalizing membrane.
No a big problem in winter but bad in summer.

Here in Japan a common fix is to cut the bottom off a Coke (PET) bottle, thread the ram through the cap end and slide it over the unit.
The down side is that you can't push the buttons.
The waterproof covers on the net would do fine but if you have a sewing machine.....
Pattern and Instructions for a Tiller Pilot Cover

Gary

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Re Waterproofing your tillerpilot.
Both Simrad and Raymarine are not completely waterproof and water ingress can kill them.

However, I would suggest covering the unit only on rainy or extreme weather.
They get hot and when they cool down they draw in moisture through a breathing/equalizing membrane.
No a big problem in winter but bad in summer.

Here in Japan a common fix is to cut the bottom off a Coke (PET) bottle, thread the ram through the cap end and slide it over the unit.
The down side is that you can't push the buttons.
The waterproof covers on the net would do fine but if you have a sewing machine.....
Pattern and Instructions for a Tiller Pilot Cover

Gary
We use a clear polythene bag that is exactly the right size for slipping over our st2000. Fasten it off with a hair band! Hole in end for rod. But, as you say, easy to let it condensate so only in the rain

LiftyK

Visit site
I purchased a cover for my ST2000 many years ago. It came from eBay. It fits well and keeps the ST2000 dry during a deluge. It’s easy to put in and off though I generally leave it on unless it is very wet. The cover cost around £12 at the time.