Thunder Child Legend 33 on the Fal

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Does anyone know this boat? At 9.45am this morning, this boat whacked into us on the Malpas pontoon on the Fal, scraped down our length under quite a lot of power - no fenders out and with us pushing off frantically.

No "sorry", attempt to see if there was any damage or even acknowledgement that we were there. This boat then powered off down the Fal as fast as possible. Looked like an older helmsman and family - should really know better.

A quick inspection suggests no serious damage, but certainly some bumps & deep scratches. We'll have to launch the tender and make a closer inspection later. These things happen and, with a bit of a chat and an apology, I'd just fix it up myself - but this kind of behaviour and I lean towards an expensive, boatyard & insurance repair.

I'd suggest that this is probably a boat kept in the Fal somewhere.

If anyone knows the owner, perhaps they could have a quiet word - really unacceptable. We'll keep an eye out as we travel around the Fal and leave an appropriate note if we see 'em.

See what I mean on my "Yacht Friendliness index" thread!

benjenbav

Visit site
I’m glad the damage is fixable and especially that you and your crew are unhurt.

I hope there’s an explanation for the behaviour. Who knows, medical emergency etc?

In any event, I really hope they will very soon be in contact with you in order to apologise.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I’m glad the damage is fixable and especially that you and your crew are unhurt.

I hope there’s an explanation for the behaviour. Who knows, medical emergency etc?

In any event, I really hope they will very soon be in contact with you in order to apologise.
Although even yelling "medical emergency" (or whatever) as they sped off would have been more acceptable.

And, sadly, since I observed them at REALLY close quarters, I think that "running away to get away with it" was more the situation - after they scraped along us, they were effectively pinned on the pontoon - a quick stop would have been easy.

Hacker

Visit site
He came down from Penryn yesterday morning (under tow from an rib) and was in the harbour/Roads yesterday afternoon. Spotted him going back under own power yesterday evening. Presumably moored up at Premier, give them a ring.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
We now have several witnesses and, probably, CCTV footage. We have been advised to formally report the incident via the appropriate channel - hopefully, at the very least, someone official will have a word to point out that this is unacceptable behaviour.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
We now have several witnesses and, probably, CCTV footage. We have been advised to formally report the incident via the appropriate channel - hopefully, at the very least, someone official will have a word to point out that this is unacceptable behaviour.
You are being way too British mate. Report it to the Police/Harbour master and to your insurance. Any damage repair must be paid entirely by him. If you do nothing he will not change his behaviour.