Thrown overboard from "English" ship

Dyflin

Visit site
Thrown overboard from \"English\" ship

A guy has just been picked up this morning in the middle of the Skagerrak between Norway and Denmark, floating on oil barrels. He was picked up by the 'Berge Odin' en-route from the UK to Sweden. He appears to be eastern European but claims to be from California. He also claims that he was thrown overboard from an "English ship". Sinister stuff...

The articles are all over today's Norwegian media websites.

Dyflin

Visit site
Re: Thrown overboard from \"English\" ship

In an update to this story, here are some pics:

flaateredning2_252483c.jpg

flaate_252484e.jpg

Dyflin

Visit site

According to this story here it says "sier han at han er blitt kastet over bord fra et engelsk skip" which translates as he says he was thrown overboard from an english ship.

And now according to this story he is now refusing to talk until he has seen a lawyer.

landaftaf

Visit site

the report is also on the bbc news site, but it says it remains conjecture as to whether he was abandonned by a british ship - not as per your headline that he was /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Norman_E

Visit site

Some time ago the Government was threatening to impose fines of £2000 on anyone bringing an illegal immigrant to these shores. I don't know whether these fines are actually imposed, but if so they might explain how a stowaway could get set adrift.

RupertW

Visit site

Lorries used to get fined often but that happens much more rarely now, perhaps because the onus is now on the drivers to check (if they can!).

I've never heard of a ship being fined but may well be wrong.

Dyflin

Visit site

There have been cases of captains being prosecuted for throwing stowaways overboard, so it wouldn't be the first time...

Oen

Visit site

On my big aeroplane, we expect £2000 fines for importing people without 'straight' paperwork. Often, especially abroad, immigration officials allow us to take them back again straight away without getting fined.

I had a funny experience once with an HK Chinese couple who were refused entry to Spain at Barcelona... They kicked up a bit of a fuss, and my First Officer offered to help. After saying a couple of times that I was fine sorting the problem out, I asked what he thought he would do. He addressed the couple in apparently very fluent lingo, and they sat down without fuss.

Only halfway home did he let on that he had done fifteen plus years in the HK Police!

cliff

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]

flaateredning2_252483c.jpg

flaate_252484e.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]Nice pics - nice looking raft - built for a purpose? surely not knocked together out of flotsam.

According to Sky news the "victim" has asked to be taken to a port in Sweden - mmm Asylum seeker?

Accusing a British ship of casting him adrift? OK lets assume it is true - what is the name of the ship? or is the so called victim trying to get TB liar to bring him to the UK and give him a house and car and mobile phone and £500 per week pocket money for life..

Something smells here IMHO.
--------------------
hammer.thumb.gif
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"