Through hull fittings.

Tranona

Visit site
Hit it with a hammer (when out of the water). It looks like bronze and the valve like stainless. If the valve turns smoothly and it survives the hit then OK.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
A surveyor would tap it with a small hammer using a screwdriver as a drift to see if parts were brittle. This may need experience to be indicative. Otherwise, dismantle the components and look for serious dezincification, which will be areas that are red and spongy-looking. Check threads in particular. A little bit of pinkness is not a problem. See Brasses and bronzes for many photos and more info.

XTE

Visit site
A surveyor would tap it with a small hammer using a screwdriver as a drift to see if parts were brittle. This may need experience to be indicative. Otherwise, dismantle the components and look for serious dezincification, which will be areas that are red and spongy-looking. Check threads in particular. A little bit of pinkness is not a problem. See Brasses and bronzes for many photos and more info.
This is one above the waterline in much better condition.

Attachments

• IMG_3812.jpeg
    IMG_3812.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41

PabloPicasso

Visit site
If it is suspect change it, and rest easy. They're not expensive compared with the total loss of your boat.

Looks like you have good access. Not too difficult a job once the boat is ashore.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
This is one above the waterline in much better condition.
Nothing much wrong with the earlier one. Discolouration is quite normal. It is very difficult to make any assessment externally. As Vyv says if it is brass (rather than bronze or DZR) then any dezincification will start from the inside, particularly in the threads. even if the body is dezincified it will not fail on its own, but only with stress such as a hammer blow or leverage. What boat is it and how old?

JOHNPEET

Visit site
If I was asking the question because I was uncertain of the condition, unsure how long it had been in situ or concerned about the materials used, I would swap it out! It’s the only way that you can have peace of mind on the situation. It’s your boat and you’ll be the only person that you can blame if things go pear shaped! As has already been said two new pipe clips would be great.

Scapa86

Visit site
You can buy wooden bungs incase the worst happens. As others have said, if it was to snap off likelihood is you’ll be on the boat at the time

Reactions: XTE

lustyd

Visit site
You can buy wooden bungs incase the worst happens. As others have said, if it was to snap off likelihood is you’ll be on the boat at the time
But do bear in mind that it can be challenging to get a bung through the remains of a broken cock while water is pouring in. They don’t always break on the outside of the ball!

Tranona

Visit site
I do have a selection of bungs near to hand, but they are not allocated and affixed with string to each seacock, which is usually recommended. Perhaps I will do that, but always thought that a selection of sizes might be needed.
They are tapered so you can choose a size where the diameter of the bung matches the through hull ID with enough exposed to get hold of.

lustyd

Visit site
They are tapered so you can choose a size where the diameter of the bung matches the through hull ID with enough exposed to get hold of.
Assuming there’s a nice round hole left with no gubbins in it. As I said above, you would be very lucky if the thing that breaks is the through hull. Far more likely it’s the cock and even more likely it’ll break above the cock.
I’m not saying done have bungs, obviously, but don’t assume a bung will help. Especially solid wooden ones. How many even keep a hammer handy to get it into a difficult hole?

Tranona

Visit site
Assuming there’s a nice round hole left with no gubbins in it. As I said above, you would be very lucky if the thing that breaks is the through hull. Far more likely it’s the cock and even more likely it’ll break above the cock.
I’m not saying done have bungs, obviously, but don’t assume a bung will help. Especially solid wooden ones. How many even keep a hammer handy to get it into a difficult hole?
The things that dezincify and weaken are around the threads, so below the valve or the spigot after the valve. If the former you are left with a nice round hole, the latter just close the valve assuming it is not seized and if it is you have a smaller round hole. You can always buy some of those expensive tapered rubber bungs which conform to irregular holes if you are really worried. However the chances of a through hull breaking all on its own are pretty close to zero even if it is dezincified. Best thing to do is ensure the fittings are in a position where they are in no danger of being hit by a heavy object.

Hundreds of thousands in use all round the world. When did you last hear of a vessel sinking because a skin fitting broke?
The thigs that

lustyd

Visit site
The whole thing dezincs the idea you’ll get a nice round hole is pure imagination they often break with jagged bits of metal. Also see the original post, that 90 degree bend will not be helpful for the bung…

I’m not commenting on whether you’ll sink, I’m saying people talk of bungs as if they’re a silver bullet and easy to use and they’re neither. Some rags would be more useful in the real world.