THOSE OF US WITH BOATS IN THE MED

Portofino

Visit site
@TonyR123 ...how do you know for certain the yard operatives will @ work at the end of April with all this C19 outbreak people movement policy’s from the Spain?

As said earlier for me I suspect my annual ,booked in Savona ( Liguria Italy ....not that badly effected btw as Lombardy) is in theory booked for early May ........but I very much doubt it’s gonna happen .
Its too far out to contact the yard and ideally I want to fly to Genoa ( with my mechanic mate for the engines )

Be very surprised if Liguria is “ open “ by May looking at the unfortunate stats coming out of IT ...to date ! :cry::cry::cry:

Fortunately we applied Micron 350 , the then latest 2 y stuff last May .First time I used a alleged 2 y AF .

Anodes were good last Oct , last time I went snorkelling to eyeball them , and replacements along with a diving tank are on the boat .So I could as a fall back this year ....change them under water as and when allowed back on .
Plenty of shallow clear sandy beaches / bays were we are .
I have done “ dive n tank “ maintenance before .You need a a place where you can easier pick up dropped stuff .

We have finger pontoon in Loano .....a Med rarity I know , so if necessary it needs a hull cats lick and a polish I can just about access the hull sides .
As said Hull paint is on the cards anyhow , or was until this crisis........no biggie if that’s postponed a year or two anyhow .In fact it’s probably best I don’t cake more wax on tbh ?

Obviously all this differed maintenance by all of us either planned , unplanned or shift more towards DIY as and when is not collectively gonna do the local to you marine maintenance industry any good .

Just take a moment to think of AF sales in N Italy or Balearics for that matter ?

As for Anodes Zinc for me because I know they work .They deplete .If they are not depleting it means something else might be .
I don’t buy into the economic argument of AL as it’s a trivial saving if there was one in the totality of my boat running costs .Meds more salty too than U.K. waters .

MapisM

Visit site
quick guess, couldn't provide shaft anodes?
Correct. Those, plus the prop nut anodes.
Btw, actually I don't have any anodes on the shafts, just on the props.
I said shaft anodes because that's what the so-called bracelet anodes are commonly used for.
But I have them mounted on the trim tab pistons, together with bar anodes on the plates.
Not that it makes any difference, I wouldn't fancy trying an anodes cocktail anyhow...

Portofino

Visit site
Correct. Those, plus the prop nut anodes.
Btw, actually I don't have any anodes on the shafts, just on the props.
I said shaft anodes because that's what the so-called bracelet anodes are commonly used for.
But I have them mounted on the trim tab pistons, together with bar anodes on the plates.
Not that it makes any difference, I wouldn't fancy trying an anodes cocktail anyhow...
Good point about the cocktail as despite drying the hole at the end of the prop nut and using fresh thread lock I have a tendency to loose , or they come loose my prop anodes .
Normally the port side .
I know they both turn outwards , but the thread is inwards clockwise ........so I guess the anti clockwise general spin while cruising experts force in the undoing Dir .

Zinc hex 60 mm s are readily available @ Med chandlers and I always carry a spare any how

78505604-9C93-426A-BD01-BFC04E11BF72.jpeg

MapisM

Visit site
I've got exactly the same prop anodes, and never experienced any problem.
You're obviously cruising too fast, PF. :p

Greg2

Visit site
On the basis of my experience they will easily last 2 years. I think they did do 4 years once but that was pushing it. I think duoprop anodes can look okay but when you examine them they are a fair bit lighter than the replacements and honeycombed .
I think replacing duoprop anodes every two years as a matter of routine is a good investment.
Bear in mind my boat is kept on fresh water. We were on salty water the best part of a month of last year plus a couple of brackish water trips which is typical of our use over recent years . I am not sure how that compares with your use.
Other factors like the condition of anodes on boats moored near you may also affect anode life .

+1
I fitted Ali anodes before re-launch in early April 2919. Boat spent first month or two in salt then back on the Broads until lift out in Oct/Nov. No need to change - very little wear on drive and trim tab anodes and plenty good enough for another season at least. If we had left in during the winter my guesstimate would be that 2 years immersed would be okay.

julians

Visit site
I've been in touch with the chap in mallorca who looks after my boat and organises all my maintenance, he says they cant do any work as they're all confined to their houses, not allowed to go to work or the marina. So no chance to do anything on the boat until mid april at earliest.

It also suggests that nobody is in the marina keeping an eye on things

Portofino

Visit site
Our Marina staff are working from home inc the mooring men .
As I have asked them to read my meter .
Trickle chargers are on AGM sealed ( not wet ) batts .Nothing else AC wise is on ....no heaters or dehumidifier needed it was 18 degree late Jan , the last time we visited .

Not exactly sure what what the attrition rate is Tbo ? As I always top it up when I go ...l.quite regularly over the winter .

How ever they have put me in touch with a boat guardianship guy who’s office / shop on the marina is open so he can “ look after “
The guys gonna stroll across and read the meter and e- mail back.
Hopefully he gets the right boat ?
There will quite a few owners I guess requesting a long range solution until this thing has damped down to make travel safe for the vulnerable.
490FD057-546A-4BA8-B5AE-8722020FFF14.jpeg

Marinas can’t just abandon you ......there will be a skeleton ( scuse the pun ) staff rota .

Portofino

Visit site
Yes that’s there translation for the marinaros .
They come round on golf carts usually two when you return to your berth and assist with lines , drop of bottled water if requested , pick up used oil and coolant .Every day check lines etc .
But it’s a corporate run company so will tow a high line re H+S etc .
The guardian guy is self employed and makes his own H+C assessments .Marina staff put me through to him ....seems to be holding the fort , while maintaining social distances etc .........well I hope .
Any how enough for up to July and a few weeks more at the current attrition rate .

7C0EF71A-D8AF-4E21-99F3-2BAC4EDE4056.jpeg

He’s kindly offered to clean it .....I,ll take him up on his kind offer in a couple of weeks .
Nice people Italians.

MedDreamer

Visit site
I've been in touch with the chap in mallorca who looks after my boat and organises all my maintenance, he says they cant do any work as they're all confined to their houses, not allowed to go to work or the marina. So no chance to do anything on the boat until mid april at earliest.

It also suggests that nobody is in the marina keeping an eye on things
I’m fortunate that I can see my boat on the Cala D’Or marina webcam, it’s partially obscured by a palm tree but at least I can see it’s still afloat.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Our Marina staff are working from home inc the mooring men .
As I have asked them to read my meter .
Trickle chargers are on AGM sealed ( not wet ) batts .Nothing else AC wise is on ....no heaters or dehumidifier needed it was 18 degree late Jan , the last time we visited .

Not exactly sure what what the attrition rate is Tbo ? As I always top it up when I go ...l.quite regularly over the winter .

How ever they have put me in touch with a boat guardianship guy who’s office / shop on the marina is open so he can “ look after “
The guys gonna stroll across and read the meter and e- mail back.
Hopefully he gets the right boat ?
There will quite a few owners I guess requesting a long range solution until this thing has damped down to make travel safe for the vulnerable.
View attachment 86864

Marinas can’t just abandon you ......there will be a skeleton ( scuse the pun ) staff rota .

Even though I am in the UK and don't know you or your boat. It for some reason gave me a warm feeling looking at that pic

Hurricane

Visit site
At Sant Carles, I manage our marina forum.
On the forum, I include a link to a webcam page which is generated by the forum software.
Several times a day, the forum software controls the pan and zoom of the camera to capture still images.
There are 12 views - the camera takes a photo, moves (pan/zoom) and takes another photo until all 12 views have been captured.
The photos at each position are stored and displayed on a page for anyone wanting to see the latest set.
Virtually all the marina is covered this way.
Mostly, boats are obscured by other boats but generally, there are good views around the marina.

This is the link to the latest set of photos - weather here not good at the moment.
http://www.scmchat.com/extraweb/webcam/camera_display.php

julians

Visit site
I wish port adriano had a few webcams. I might make that suggestion to the marina office.

Normally it's not a problem as the chap that looks after my boat, his office is about 20m from my boat, but now with the island on lockdown, it would be nice to check in.

It's probably all fine, but would be good to get that confirmed.