Thinking of a step too far

billyfish

Visit site
So I've had yachts most of my life of one sort or another but as angling has always been with me i thought I would like a angling boat. Not to big 20 feet should suffice. But not sure what. I reckon the criteria are . Sleep two for a odd overnight. Sea toilet. Fast . Looks like a Orkney 20 pilot house would do the trick or merry fisher but can't figure which model or a Arvor , they seam popular. Then is it to be Diesel or petrol. Which would be the most economical to run . I would like it to sit on the mud to make the mooring cheaper, so does that rule out shaft drives ? I don't like the idea of a leg, too many gears. This will be a project for this coming winter. All suggestions welcome.

Alicatt

Visit site
The Orkney would be my choice but it really doesn't sleep 2, no matter what the ads say

We slept 4 on a Day Angler 23 once but aged 17, 3 of us outside and full of beer
I agree, our boat is 7.5m and allegedly can sleep 4 in the bow berth and on the converted dining table, I'm 1.74m and my wife is 1.68m and she found it too cramped, so much so the boat is now up for sale, great little boat to begin on and she cruises well, first trip was a 5 day cruise of 160km and it was on the way back she said we needed a bigger boat.
The layout of the boat is good, but if they had only made the cockpit slightly smaller and the beds just a little larger then it would have been a winner, she has a large 2m long x 1.8m broad cockpit which is great for entertaining we can sit 6 people around the cockpit table and not feel too cramped.

The bigger boat has now been bought, a 11.6m semi displacement cruiser with a big V berth in the bow and a big twin bed aft cabin, cost was just over the €30k

About the same time a friend of one of my sons bought a Placom 500 (my 7.5m boat is a Placom 750) it is very like the Orkney, outboard powered, sleeps two and he used it for fishing, after 2 nights on it he has sold it and bought a 9.5m cruiser, the sleeping was too cramped on the 500.

The bow berth on the 7.5m boat
BowBerth1SM.jpg
The length from the point to the cupboards is 1.78m

Dining table with infill cushions
DiningBert1.JPG
the length of the bed is 1.85m
So check the sleeping arrangements well before planting down your hard earned cash.
Still it is a great wee boat even if she is 45 years old and was very reasonable to purchase,